Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:51 am

[Ebenezer Scrooge is visited by the Ghost of Sandra Bullock Past.]

[Scrooge chuckles.]

"There's more Gravity than grave about you."
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Things I Say

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:29 am

When, in art, we prize family-friendly respectability over creative authenticity, as in the glossy Reagan 80s, we make superstars out of people like Bill Cosby who use family-friendly respectability as a mask.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:39 pm

While I don't think Donald Trump has any chance at winning the Presidency, I do wish him luck in finally defeating Superman.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:56 am

Donald Trump's popularity will only increase, and it will look like he could win the Presidency, until he's suddenly confronted in the ring by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:25 am

New three-novel Twilight spinoff announced. Will focus on Edward Cullen's brother Peter as he plays Optimus Prime in Transformers.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:04 pm

http://www.loleg.com/blog/wp-content/up ... eyonce.jpg

The "bad" lyrics or music in comparisons like this are pretty much always a black artist or a woman, or a black woman. Regardless of the quality either way, I see the subtext.

After a certain age most people stop listening seriously to a lot of new music. There are certainly problems with the music industry today but those who are writing it off entirely have no idea what's going on in music today at all. I don't follow music very closely now or really make current musical artists part of my identity anymore in the way that a teenager would, but there's a lot of interesting stuff being done, and we're spoiled for choice now, if you really want to go out and find stuff.

When we get older, we often feel that we've heard it all before, and that current artists are just copying trends from the 80s, for example. But to a teenager, this is all new and what 2015 sounds like. Current musical trends might baffle an older listener. Why do most songs suddenly sound like a marching anthem of the people rising up, like in Les Miserables or something?

It's been said before, but until you're 30, everything in the media is just how things are. And when you're older than 30, everything that's changing is different and wrong and not how things should be.

Well.

If anyone just came out today and performed music in the exact style of songs from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, it might seem ridiculous, simplistic and naive. Not that we don't see that, current artists borrowing from the past. But it wouldn't be any sort of revolution today to come out and sing "She Loves You, Yeah Yeah Yeah." It's been done. The past is the past and it's not going away. Let's look to now.

Of course there are joke versions of this meme that flip the script around --

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=5638D805
http://static1.fjcdn.com/comments/48885 ... 4e360c.jpg
http://static3.fjcdn.com/comments/Never ... 6302f5.jpg

Popular music can be silly or surreal or repetitive. There's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't have to meet some standard of high-minded poetry.

As a kid, the first time I heard "Bohemian Rhapsody" or "I Am the Walrus" - songs which you could, if you want, interpret as high-minded poetry - I couldn't stop laughing at the silliness. And yet they have a position as some of the greatest rock songs of their time, or of all time, just because of that surreal energy. They're certainly never boring, and in context of the music of the time seem like they're in color in a grey world. We shouldn't expect profundity from popular music, and both songs expose the lie of that. They're better because they're surreal rather than being simple love songs, and the energy and fun and humor is as important and rebellious as the emotion.

But rap music often talks about serious issues and is dismissed entirely. A lot of memes like this shame rap music for its profanity. Are we supposed to condemn Nicki Minaj for swearing and repetitive lyrics and ignore that she's talking about women being proud of their own bodies? A pretty important subject, regardless of whether most rap interests you or not.

The history of music, especially in the 20th and 21st centuries, is a history of white artists appropriating black music trends, and achieving much greater success with them. [So we've had to deal with white rappers like Vanilla Ice then, or Macklemore and Iggy Azalea now.] The music industry loves the trends of black music, if it can appropriate and whitewash them.

For all of Paul McCartney's genius, he was nothing if not a white man trying to be Little Richard. Memes like this reek of colonialism, especially when we're talking a white male British artist from the 60s/70s. And it's easy to imagine a meme just like these, where the "music then" is Paul McCartney in black and white performing a song by Little Richard ... but then the "music now" is Little Richard himself on the right, looking very camp and colorful and singing "A-wop-bom-a-loo-mop-a-lomp-bom-bom!! Tutti Frutti, good booty. If it don’t fit, don’t force it. You can grease it, make it easy…" (The lyrics were something like that before he cleaned them up.)
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:34 pm

"Young people are apathetic about politics."

Translation: "When older people say something racist, young people don't bother talking about politics with them anymore."
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:41 pm

Did you think you were the only Colonel Sanders in the world? I'm here to talk to you about the KFC Initiative.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:55 am

Reporting on the Presidential race reads like:

Donald Trump kills five in gas station robbery, leaves with $500 cash. Praised by NRA President Wayne LaPierre for responsible gun use. Poll numbers go up and up.

Former First Lady being called "Sillary Clinton" after her failure to recognize that General Mills' Trix cereal is for kids. Will this be the scandal that ends her campaign?
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room