Re: Animation Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: Rock & Rule Thread

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:46 am

Sorry to hear you lost your work!

I'd be interested in seeing more recreated music videos - "My Name is Mok" and "I'm the Man?"
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Sure, I had I'm the Man for a while sitting, was trying to find time to upload it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7qLjXX3-jI
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:14 pm

Nice. Shared.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:58 pm

I was looking at the Workprint a while ago, and even tried to clean a scene up after months of doing nothing because I was still trying to find a way to get the old files back, I experimented with the Adobe Premiere color corrector, which is pretty damn good, but aside from that, I was wondering if there's an automated clean-up progam for the scenes that have quite a bunch of film damage, not counting the scenes where there are weird dots on the screen, those would have to be cleaned up by hand I'll bet.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:03 pm

Black (and white) film damage can be automated to an extent. Something that's just a still image of a storyboard, or something that's only animated to an extent, is easier to fix. I used CHV Repair Collection to clean still images - not a very smart program -- and used a much smarter program for moving images that were damaged. It can be a lot of work. Smarter programs exist though I don't have them personally.

If something's on twos and has a lot of black dirt, you can put it on top of itself, shift it forward one frame and set blend mode to lighten!

My advice is, don't bother cleaning stuff up if it's gonna be difficult -- I did very difficult work on The Thief and The Muppets and so on for years, and still would, but that's only because I was putting the time in!

Write me privately, maybe I can pull the thing up and give some advice.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:04 am

My Name is Mok Music Video in HD is on Youtube now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcxxC8qUofA
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:18 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:49 am

Dennis wrote:

Here's a comparison.

http://imgur.com/a/icabc

Top is blu-ray, bottom is the Workprint, as you can clearly see, it's much sharper and clearer than the blu-ray, this is true for the entirety of the corresponding section of the film, which is the final 12 minutes or so which is pretty soft and blurry in the blu ray, the Workprint is not that perfect though, it's too dark, but I've managed to find a solution to that, which can be seen in the ''Pain and Suffering'' video I made where I Chroma Keyed the blacks away and super imposed the Workprint footage above the blu-ray footage, which has more background information (Both lose to the Canadian VHS, I'm afraid), I only did it for a couple of shots though, just as an experiment.

I've no issue with using the Workprint for the cut, it's sharper, the colors are better (even though it's necessary to correct the green into blue) and has a lot of scenes that I thought we're previously only available in the Canadian VHS, the only problematic scene is that particular one due to how damaged it is, the rest of the reel however, seems fine, and since I can't do complex cleaning I just edit the splice frames away or just paint them, I tried it once and it seemed to work fine, what I can't take care of is when the ''holes'' start appearing and when a big pink sploch fills the screen, those need some very good rotoscoping and clever matting to remove them from the background, at least.

Wow, yes, the workprint is much sharper. Makes the released print look out of focus. Although perhaps the released print could simply have a sharpening filter applied to look a little better.

The workprint footage must be lower generation as well.

But it's dirty and in bad shape. When the animation is on twos it's more feasible to deal with that, but it's going to be a lot of work, especially in that first shot you mentioned.

If I were preparing the material, I'd run it through [a piece of software I mentioned earlier] first, and try CHV Repair Collection as well even though it's damaging .... but basically I'd have to do some serious work in Photoshop to take out the dirt.

When the animation is on twos, I'd try copying the video onto a second layer, moved forward or back one frame, with blending mode set to "darken" or "lighten" as needed. This would take out the brighter or darker dirt, as long as the two consecutive frames are otherwise identical.

This is all going to be tricky, so my question I guess is .... what makes this your problem, your fight? If you feel like doing the work do it. But know that most viewers would be fine with just using the cut as released. If it was "good enough" to release on disc, it is what it is. And doing a lot of work to make it better for something that won't be widely released, that's your own choice.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:23 pm

I could do some rotoscoping to place the characters above the clean blu ray backgrounds, which wouldn't be that big of a loss since the backgrounds are nearly non-existant in the Workprint, but you're right, even if I put this much effort into cleaning the scene up, it's not like I'm gonna be able to put it on Youtube since it's most likely going to get removed for some dumb reason, and even if I put a download for the film in the description it's not like most people are gonna download it and post comments on the description, I'm still salty about the fact that they removed them because a handful of people that worked on the film did post comments there.

Which reminds me, here is the old version of the edit on MEGA:

Rock & Rule (Canadian Version) in High-Quality:

https://mega.nz/#!CB8gGQDY!TFUXkOvdK1Wq ... 5COl0wvOgU
Dennis196492

Postby Dennis196492 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:52 pm

I tried the rotoscoping/Chroma Key thing and it seemed to work fine, however, I just messed around with the ''Darken, Lighten'' thing, and wow, I think this can work, it's gonna take some time but it can be pulled off.

Here's the rotoscoping/Chroma Key test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToxLkYknZVA

And here's my first try at doing the ''Darken/Lighten'' thing, I noticed that in many cases if I picked ''Lighten'', the lines would get thinner while with ''Darken'' it would get thicker, so I cut it alongside with the more clean version of the frame, as well as a cleaned-up background for further removing the dirt, hence the Garbage Mattes which can be easily removed by handling the brightness and contrast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcD8Yoqb1cA
Last edited by Dennis196492 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis196492

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room