Re: Animation Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: Rock & Rule Thread

Postby Dennis196492 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:07 pm

It's only the last 15 minutes of the movie that the DVD has, right? Is there a full version of that or it was all that they could find?
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:05 am

The opening sequence is also on the DVD (opening narration). I don't know if a full (mono) workprint exists but that certainly hints strongly that it does, and is in good shape.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:04 pm

Lumpytoast provided me with the Workprint Ending of Rock & Rule, and I have to say that this is one helpful source for restoring the Canadian cut, I basicaly have every shot I need save for one crowd scene and the scene where Zip is revealed to be alive, which is strange that it's not there, really strange.

What does the DVD say about it? I want more, there needs to be more.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:29 pm

If you grab the torrent a few posts up, I provided audio sources for things like the workprint ending, the making of clips, and etc.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:30 pm

Will do just that, It's pretty impressive of how good it looks, aside from being too dark at times and even more green than the movie itself it looks sharper than what the final film looks, which I may add that outside of the middle chunk of the movie from the scene of Mok's blimp taking off all the way to the end of the scene where he confronts Angel in his room the transfer looks very soft, with only the middle chunk looking sharp, I may want to use it but it's too dirty and too dark in places, but I will definately use the audio, which is cleaner than the Canadian VHS.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:03 am

It's a high quality transfer from the film source, although it is an early sound mix in mono.

I actually put the workprint in the left channel and the CAN mix in the right for some bits of "Send Love Through."

It's been said that only a stereo mix existed of the final film, but the 5.1 mix on the DVD is pretty well separated. Dialogue (and vocals like "Pain & Suffering") are pretty much absent from the (admittedly echoey and muddy) rear channels, and the center channel has higher Omar vocals during Send Love Through, etc - it's not a mixdown of the L & R. I have to assume they had a separated mix to work from, though who knows.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:20 am

When they re-edited the film clearly they had to go back to re-mixing the film to re-time the new dialogue and music between cuts/additions but I don't have a clue of how the audio goes from sounding ok to sounding not-okay, and it's not fault of the transfer or the mixing of the people who restored it, it's native to the print where the film came, because it sounds like that even in the VHS format
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:23 am

Some strange choices were made. But when editing the soundtrack, I always preferred the (stems of the) 5.1 mix by far, due to the quality of the source. I removed the rear channels, which helps.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:22 am

Of course, for as much as I like how the CAN version sounds there's not much that can be done with it in terms of cutting it along with the 5.1 mix.

I decided to mess around with the Workprint ending a little, and managed to make it look blue (most of the time) but making it look like the Canadian in terms of colors is out of the question, too dark.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:55 am

Might be worth recreating the original music videos as well -- perhaps adding the actual performance footage from Making of Rock & Rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg8QQn9P1h8

The video for Pain & Suffering was in mono, and with this being the early 80s I doubt any others would be in stereo.

I know there were videos for Angel's Song, My Name is Mok, Pain & Suffering, I'm the Man ... I've heard there was one for Dance Dance Dance, and probably Born to Raise Hell.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room