Re: Animation Thread

A forum for creative people.

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:11 am

Here is a soundtrack compilation for the 1983 Nelvana animated film, Rock & Rule.

It was previously believed that no official soundtrack album had ever been issued for Rock & Rule. However, as it turns out, a handful of film critics received a cassette tape featuring nine songs ("Hot Dogs and Sushi" and "Send Love Through" were omitted). All songs are extended from how they appear in the film and in familiar copies.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/78zj8 ... k_FLAC.zip

This is the ever first release of these versions of the songs that I'm aware of. Four or five songs appear here in versions not previously heard.

We received decent stereo audio of "Angel's Song" and "My Name is Mok" from this cassette, but the capture is much lower quality and in mono for "Triumph," "Invocation Song" and "Pain and Suffering."

I have done my best with the material, editing it together with the versions heard in the film (here from a 5.1 mix). The film's surround channels were used to omit some dialogue and extend "Hot Dogs & Sushi."

I have also included the movie versions of the songs (newly edited), and the versions heard on the original cassette. The first versions of "Angel's Song," "My Name is Mok," "Triumph," "Invocation Song" and "Pain & Suffering" that you'll hear on this disc combine both the film and cassette versions into one edit as best as possible.

"Born to Raise Hell," "I'm the Man," "Dance Dance Dance," and "Ohm Sweet Ohm" have been officially issued on CD, and appear here from that source, along with an alternate version of "Pain and Suffering," and "Maybe For Sure" (an alternate version of "Angel's Song").

EDIT:

http://tinyurl.com/mynameismok

"My Name is Mok" full version music video (Lou Reed, from Rock & Rule) as aired on Night Flight. HQ copy.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:58 pm

Amazing find, I love it. When did this happen?
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:03 pm

Just now. I worked as fast as I could to get it out there.

Apparently some of the music videos are on the Blu Ray release so I'm waiting for the versions of the tracks from that before I go wider with this.

I'm wondering if I should have used the stereo mix of the film for the movie tracks, instead of using bits of the 5.1 mix. Omar's vocals in Send Love Through are mixed louder in the stereo. I didn't have the normal stereo mix at hand.

Of course if anyone wants to hear the movie tracks in stereo / 5.1 they can just watch the film ....
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:10 pm

Unfortunately I don't know of any other mixes other than the DVD/Blu-Ray one and the Canadian one, the latter is which I think it's the better mix, but aside from that, I'd love to see this finished, if anything I can upload it to my Youtube Channel and later link it to my updated version of the edit
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:14 pm

I think I have the Canadian mix at hand. I could cut more of that in.

Go ahead and upload the tracks as they are now, with a link to the post above.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:31 pm

Will do, should I compile all of the tracks or just the Cassette versions as they are?
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Use the first tracks on the compilation, as numbered. The later tracks are more for completion's sake.

The cassette tracks seemed to be running slower than the film. I sped most of them up to 104% in my edits, though that's actually a little faster than it should be [that does help the quality sound a little better than previously]. I left Pain & Suffering untouched, as well as the "cassette" mix of My Name is Mok and probably some of the others.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:46 pm

So using your edited versions?

I'm putting these tracks on the order as we hear them in the movie, if that's okay
Dennis196492

Rock & Rule Thread

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:08 pm

That's okay I guess. I was following both movie order and putting some of the better tracks up front.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby FloorMat116 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:52 pm

How exciting!!
FloorMat116

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room