Re: Animation Thread

A forum for creative people.

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:04 am

EDIT: Here is a soundtrack compilation for the 1983 Nelvana animated film, Rock & Rule.

It was previously believed that no official soundtrack album had ever been issued for Rock & Rule. However, as it turns out, a handful of film critics received a cassette tape featuring nine songs ("Hot Dogs and Sushi" and "Send Love Through" were omitted). All songs are extended from how they appear in the film and in familiar copies.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/78zj8 ... k_FLAC.zip

This is the ever first release of these versions of the songs that I'm aware of. Four or five songs appear here in versions not previously heard.

We received decent stereo audio of "Angel's Song" and "My Name is Mok" from this cassette, but the capture is much lower quality and in mono for "Triumph," "Invocation Song" and "Pain and Suffering."

I have done my best with the material, editing it together with the versions heard in the film (here from a 5.1 mix). The film's surround channels were used to omit some dialogue and extend "Hot Dogs & Sushi."

I have also included the movie versions of the songs (newly edited), and the versions heard on the original cassette. The first versions of "Angel's Song," "My Name is Mok," "Triumph," "Invocation Song" and "Pain & Suffering" that you'll hear on this disc combine both the film and cassette versions into one edit as best as possible.

"Born to Raise Hell," "I'm the Man," "Dance Dance Dance," and "Ohm Sweet Ohm" have been officially issued on CD, and appear here from that source, along with an alternate version of "Pain and Suffering," and "Maybe For Sure" (an alternate version of "Angel's Song").

EDIT EDIT:

http://tinyurl.com/mynameismok

"My Name is Mok" full version music video (Lou Reed, from Rock & Rule) as aired on Night Flight. HQ copy.

Rock & Rule interviews:
http://www.fpsmagazine.com/feature/050607rockrule.php
http://www.fpsmagazine.com/feature/050627rockrule.php
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:05 pm

Thank you, apparently Youtube still let my glitched upload up, as well as a ton of other videos, and when I try to upload mine it immediately gets deleted. Oh well.

On the topic of Rock & Rule, I remember mentioning that the US cut has tons of alternate scenes, mostly involving Omar, one of which had his face re-animated to make him less angry, but I am not sure if certain scenes like the fountain scenes were re-shot for no reason, I will put together a comparison video, but basicaly this goes for most scenes in the movie that were trimmed/cut for the US cut, they have a weird green tint to them, I don't know if it's because of the transfer or the restoration work, but it seems that many scenes in the US cut, mainly those that take place in the night, have a green tint to them, with an occasional shot having the original blue tint intended. This is present even in an VHS upload on Youtube I found a while ago, I may do a comparison video between the two versions.

On an unrelated note, I actually like the colors in the Canadian Version better than the colors in the US cut in places, mainly during the night, It looks more realistic and gritty there than it is in the Canadian Cut, and apparently this film was released in Brazil as ''Rock Fantasy'' and ''The Musical Voyage'', I think I like ''Rock Fantasy'' better.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Interesting --

It's really a shame that the superior Canadian cut doesn't survive as 35.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:26 pm

Incredible shame, it's unbelievable of how much better the sound mix is on that one despite being a VHS tape. I was wrong about when I said they restored the audio of the US cut by recovering some tapes and recordings, it's actually a restoration based on the 5.1 sound mix from the Ring of Power print, which is already an inferior mix to the Canadian one for some reason, I am honestly not sure how do you ruin the sound mix for your movie like this.

Not just the audio, but the dialogue, I didn't actually watch the US cut as I was editing the fan-edit, so I didn't get to hear the dialogue for many of Omar's re-writes like the scene where Dizzy and Stretch try to convince him to save Angel, but when I did I couldn't help myself but to facepalm, they were trying way too hard to make Omar a more likeable character for this.

I also think that the Canadian version was never released Theatrically, I hope I'm wrong, but it's always something I never understand, Saved From the Titanic had a wide release and was a huge success, not just in America but also all over Europe, yet it was destroyed in a fire on the studio and is now considered lost, whatever happened to the many other theatrical prints? Was it common to burn the prints after their run was over?
Dennis196492

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:40 am

Movie-censorship.com should have a Rock & Rule page, that site has a nice and interesting way of being very specific when it comes to comparing movie versions, too bad it can't have a The Thief and the Cobbler page or else it would be 300 million pages long, but Rock & Rule should be short enough.
Dennis196492

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:32 pm

Apparently some users in my Rock & Rule video are discussing whether is the Canadian cut the original version or a later version of the film, one of them claims that he was there when the film was being made and that the decision to kill off Zip was made by the filmmakers who wanted him dead instead of the MGM people, also something about it being there since the begining, and some other stuff about either MGM or CBC wanting him alive so they could show it on TV or something, might have been when the film was being initially made as the Canadian version.

A lot of things about it don't make any sense, despite him claiming that he remembers it clearly that they didn't originally want Zip to be alive, but I don't know, for all I care he could be confusing the actual released Canadian version of the film with an early workprint version he saw at the studio, and even then it still wouldn't make any sense to have him killed, especially by slamming in a wall.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:20 am

How dumb.

Although with a film of this vintage, someone could actually have had some insider knowledge that since has faded away to nonsense. I'd guess he's just a crank though.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:30 pm

It could be true, there's not a whole lot of stuff we know about the movie when it was still supposed to be released with Greg Salata as Omar, MGM probaly didn't care about that stuff so they did it even though it was too late and now it just makes no sense.

Does anyone here own the special edition of the film by Unearthed Films? It has a bunch of cool stuff from what I've read, like the Ring of Power intro, the last 15 minutes of the film in workprint format, director's commentary, a copy of the script (I actually did find this last one, and it turns out that it isn't even a script, it's more like editor notes from the MGM version) and a Restoration comparison.
Dennis196492

Postby Dennis196492 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:06 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPjIF2eEs4k

Messing around with color correction made me realize of how important it is to edit the film in a high quality source.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:00 am

Garbage in, garbage out. Get the best you can.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Big Round Room