What's Happening In the World?

A forum for creative people.

Re: What's Happening In the World?

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:51 pm

I feel bad about the "Pepe the Frog" meme becoming a swastika-like symbol for racists. Originally just a general-purpose meme (and as stupid and terrible as memes are), he was originally a comic character by Matt Furie. So I feel bad for the artist, who is a person who exists.

Feels bad, man.

http://fantagraphics.com/flog/truthaboutpepe/

"Fantagraphics Books wants to state for the record that the one, true Pepe the frog, as created by the human being and artist Matt Furie, is a peaceful cartoon amphibian who represents love, acceptance, and fun. (And getting stoned.) Both creator and creation reject the nihilism fueling Pepe’s alt-right appropriators, and all of us at Fantagraphics encourage you to help us reclaim Pepe as a symbol of positivity and togetherness, and to stand by Matt Furie."
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:58 pm

I was already wary of how the Kermit the frog tea memes tended to always be super racist. This is not acceptable use of frogs.

Anyway, Kermit has already given Hillary the only endorsement that matters:

https://fusiondotnet.files.wordpress.co ... lls-3b.png
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/mup ... 0911040450
http://thepatriotnation.net/wp-content/ ... 68x457.jpg
https://thumbs.mic.com/ZGI3NTQzNjIwYyMv ... 8uanBn.jpg
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:29 am

"I think that everybody went in a little bit shell-shocked in the beginning, about how you cover [Trump], a guy who makes news constantly. It’s not just his outrageous stuff…he says things that are just demonstrably false.

"I think that he’s challenged our language. He will have changed journalism, he really will have. I was either editor or managing editor of the L.A. Times during the Swift Boat incident. Newspapers did not know — we did not quite know how to do it. I remember struggling with the reporter, Jim Rainey, who covers the media now, trying to get him to write the paragraph that laid out why the Swift Boat allegation was false…We didn’t know how to write the paragraph that said, “This is just false.”

We struggle with that. I think that Trump has ended that struggle. I think we now say stuff. We fact-check him. We write it more powerfully that it’s false."

http://www.niemanlab.org/2016/10/the-ne ... -newsroom/
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:45 pm

https://medium.com/@garrettgilchrist/ca ... .ag61t128q

Can Donald Trump Win the Christian Vote?

Evangelical Christians have voted reliably Republican for some time now, stressing wedge issues like abortion.

But this election, they're faced with something completely different. Donald Trump has never been much of a church-going Christian, and has struggled to reach out to evangelicals. He has said in the past that he's pro-choice, only recently saying he's "pro-life."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsOlXidHXRE

So let's examine the Christian case for Trump.

Christians, do you have young children? Here's a Trump quote:

“Now, somebody who a lot of people don’t give credit to but in actuality is really beautiful is Paris Hilton. I’ve known Paris Hilton from the time she’s 12, her parents are friends of mine, and the first time I saw her she walked into the room and I said, ‘Who the hell is that?’”

Are you okay with Donald Trump talking to Howard Stern about being sexually attracted to a 12 year old family friend? That was live on the radio.

Donald Trump has talked about his daughter Ivanka saying she has "the best body" and "perhaps [he'd] be dating her."

“Yeah, she’s really something, and what a beauty, that one. If I weren’t happily married and, ya know, her father ...”

Trump was asked in 2006 (on The View) how he would feel if Ivanka posed for Playboy. “It would be really disappointing — not really — but it would depend on what’s inside the magazine. I don’t think Ivanka would do that, although she does have a very nice figure. I’ve said if Ivanka weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her.”

In 2003 on Howard Stern, he said she had "the best body." “You know who’s one of the great beauties of the world, according to everybody? And I helped create her. Ivanka. My daughter, Ivanka. She’s 6 feet tall, she’s got the best body. She made a lot money as a model—a tremendous amount.”

Christians, do you have children? Do you think or talk about your children in this way?

What is the Christian and Biblical point that Trump is making with these comments, recorded live in 2005?

“I did try and fuck her. She was married,” Trump says. “And I moved on her very heavily."

“I moved on her like a bitch, but I couldn’t get there. And she was married,” Trump says. “Then all of a sudden I see her, she’s now got the big phony tits and everything. She’s totally changed her look.”

“And when you’re a star they let you do it,” Trump says. “You can do anything.”

“Whatever you want,” says Billy Bush (of Access Hollywood).

“Grab them by the pussy,” Trump says. “You can do anything.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... &tid=ss_tw

Donald Trump will be standing trial soon, due to testimony from this woman:

“I understood that both Mr. Trump and Mr. Epstein knew I was 13 years old. Defendant Trump had sexual contact with me at four different parties in the summer of 1994.

On the fourth and final sexual encounter with Defendant Trump tied me to a bed, exposed himself to me and then proceeded to forcibly rape me. During the course of this savage sexual attack, I loudly pleaded with Defendant Trump to stop but he did not.

Defendant Trump responded to my pleas by violently striking me in the face with his open hand and screaming that he would do whatever he wanted.

Immediately following this rape, Defendant Trump threatened me that, were I ever to reveal any of the details of Defendant Trump’s sexual and physical abuse of me, my family and I would be physically harmed if not killed.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/3562837/lawsui ... s-forward/

Donald Trump's ex-wife Ivana also stated that Donald Trump brutally raped her. Christians, you may feel like Trump's thirteen-year-old rape victim doesn't exist and isn't a real person. Is Ivana Trump also not a real person? Does she not exist?

http://gawker.com/the-time-donald-trump ... 1721129617

How would Donald Trump make America great again? Which policies of his do you like?

Do you pay taxes? Donald Trump does not. Are you richer than Donald Trump?

Donald Trump was given millions of dollars by his father.

He started out with millions of dollars and went bankrupt four times, dramatically underperforming the stock market. His business ventures had failed so completely that he only saved himself by playing himself as a businessman on a television show for NBC.

Is Donald Trump a genius at business?

Today, he chooses not to pay taxes and brags about it, saying he's "smart." He also doesn't pay his bills. There are hundreds of people who have records that Trump never paid them for work done, like a man who sold him 100 thousand dollars worth of pianos and wasn't paid.

Do you have a business? Could your business survive losing 100 thousand dollars suddenly, because someone like Trump didn't want to pay?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/postever ... 25f6f363f2
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /85297274/

Couldn't Donald Trump afford to pay for things he's bought?

In some cases we're talking about statements Donald Trump made a week ago. Has he changed since then?

He called Miss Universe Alicia Machado "Miss Piggy." Trump said she "gained a massive amount of weight." He called her "disgusting (check out sex tape and past.)" That was on September 30th. Has Trump changed since then?

Trump once Tweeted, "The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive." He called climate change a "hoax." When this was brought up at the Presidential debate, Trump said he never said that. He did.

Donald Trump's father was a landlord who famously refused to rent apartments to black tenants. Woody Guthrie wrote a song about it in the early 1950s.

That's Woody Guthrie, the famous patriot who wrote This Land Is Your Land. You know the words to that one. Do you know the words he wrote about Trump Senior?

I suppose Old Man Trump knows
Just how much racial hate he stirred up
In the bloodpot of human hearts
When he drawed that color line
Here at his eighteen hundred family project ....

The first time Donald Trump was ever in the newspapers was also for refusing to rent an apartment to non-whites in New York.

Donald Trump's father was in the KKK and arrested during a hooded brawl in which two policemen were killed. It was in the newspapers in 1927. His name and address included.

http://boingboing.net/2015/09/09/1927-n ... trump.html

According to the Pulitzer Prize-winning and non-partisan fact-checking website Politifact, Donald Trump lies 70 percent of the time.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

Are you okay with being lied to 70% of the time?

By comparison, Hillary is only listed as "false" 27% of the time. Far from perfect but nobody's calling her that.

Do you believe that everyone but Trump's own sources are lying to you?

If you think everyone but Trump is lying to you, aren't you only believing Trump?

What about Hillary makes you afraid? Why do you think of her as evil to the core? How is Hillary "satanic" and "murderous?"

The Clinton Foundation is a 4-star, A-rated charity. It gets the highest possible ratings across the board:

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index. ... rgid=16680

So why is Trump calling it a "scam?" Could it be to help his own campaign?

I've never met this Hillary Clinton you describe, who worships satan and rips the babies out of mother's wombs before birth.

I have followed a Hillary Clinton who was a secretary of state for four years, a U.S. senator for eight years, a first lady who lived and worked in the White House for eight years, a first lady of Arkansas, and a law professor. If she were elected, she’d be the first former cabinet member to become president in almost 100 years. She is arguably the most qualified candidate to run for this office.

But that’s why people hate her. They call her experience corruption.

Is it fair to blame Hillary Clinton personally for everything that’s wrong with American politics?

What about her scandals? Whitewater turned up nothing back in the 90s. She has been continuously investigated for wrongdoing since the 90s by the Republicans, and yet has never been charged with anything. Doesn’t that say something to you?

To quote:

"Despite $7 million dollars spent on Benghazi investigations, 1,982 published pages of reports on Benghazi, 10 congressional committees participating in investigations, 3,194 questions asked in a public forum, Clinton and her administration have been found guilty of zero wrongdoing. No “stand down” call was ever found, one of the cornerstones of the Republican claims. The family of Chris Stevens — the ambassador who became the face of the Benghazi tragedy after he was killed in the siege — has publicly objected to blaming Clinton for Benghazi.

Even more lost in the Benghazi witch hunt is a simple reality: during George W. Bush’s presidency, there were 13 attacks on U.S. embassies that killed 60 people. Yet his career and record were not marred by these."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/isaac-sau ... 20124.html

Hillary is Trump's opponent. Of course those on Trump's side are going to say bad things about her and call her a satanist baby murderer, or whatever they're saying now. That's not something you have to believe.

"I'm very pro-choice,” Trump said not long ago. He's stood on both sides of this issue, but voters don't call him a baby murderer. I wonder why?

If a woman suffers a miscarriage, Mike Pence would legally force the mother to have a funeral for the fetus. Do you agree with that?

Do you think that abortion of a week-old egg and murdering a newborn baby are the same thing?

Are you aware that babies can die or become non viable during pregnancy and it becomes necessary to remove the dead fetus to save the mother's life?

Mike Pence would prosecute that mother for murder.

Do you think that those who support a woman's right to choose are not trying to save a mother's life, but instead saying, let's all murder babies for satan because it's fun?

Which do you think is more likely?

If life begins at conception, do you believe that a woman who miscarries should be prosecuted for murder?

Christians, do you agree with Mike Pence that same-sex couples are a sign of “societal collapse"?

While in Congress, Mike Pence voted against the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act — which calls for equal pay for women — three times.

Do you agree with Mike Pence that women do not deserve equal pay compared to men?

Do you agree with Trump's comments above about grabbing married women by the pussy and trying to fuck them?

“I did try and f--- her. She was married,” Trump says.

“I moved on her like a bitch, but I couldn’t get there. And she was married,” Trump says. “Then all of a sudden I see her, she’s now got the big phony tits and everything. She’s totally changed her look.”

“Whatever you want,” says another voice, apparently Bush’s.

“Grab them by the p---y,” Trump says. “You can do anything.”

What is the Christian and Biblical point that Trump is making with these comments?

Do you agree with Donald Trump's comments about how "beautiful" a 12 year old Paris Hilton was, in the context of wanting to "bang" her?

Do you admire him for talking about how his daughter has "the best body" and that he'd "be dating her?"

How would Donald Trump make America great again? Which policies of his do you like?

Are you aware that there are 3.3 million peaceful Muslims living in the United States today? That's one in every one hundred people. If you know more than one hundred people you know a peaceful Muslim.

17 U.S. citizens were killed worldwide as a result of terrorism in 2011. That includes those fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

29 people died by being struck by lightning.

Are you aware that being killed by a terrorist is one of the least likely ways to die in America today?

Do you agree that Donald Trump is "smart" not to pay taxes, and that he can "grab" a "married" woman "by the pussy" and "do anything" if he wants to? His words.

Donald Trump's ex-wife Ivana also stated that Donald Trump brutally raped her, and he is now standing trial for raping a thirteen year old. Is this a Christian thing to do?

As a Republican, you've been listening to news sources that have attacked Bill and Hillary and Barack Obama and others endlessly for decades now. You should realize that the rest of us aren't listening to all of that, and that's where the divide comes in. You've been sold a world that the rest of us aren't living in, and now they're trying to sell you Trump.

If that gives you pause, then think about what all the attacks on the Clintons and Obama and so on have actually accomplished over these decades. No one's in jail or charged with any crime. A thousand supposed scandals haven't even held water outside of right wing news. A lot of smoke without fire, like Whitewater. We've already forgotten that one.

No one's come for your guns, there were no death panels, taxes didn't go up up up, the economy is improving with a record streak of growth, unemployment's down, crime is down, terrorists aren't coming to your door, and gas is a lot cheaper.

And the left, for their faults, are trying to save your Social Security and Medicare, for a start. Trying to help the 99 percent of Americans who aren’t as rich as Donald Trump pretended to be on his TV show.

And the Democrats are trying to keep America safe. That sounds like a joke, but no, really.

Or do you feel safer with someone as angry as Donald Trump having his finger on the trigger of our nuclear weapons?

If you ever read left-wing news, they're always criticizing Hillary for being too concerned about war and law and order and terrorism, and generally being a right-wing hawk. Left-wingers think that's a bad thing but it's what most voters want.

To put it plainly: Anyone who isn't watching right wing news all the time no longer understands anything you're talking about. Your kids don't understand you anymore. Your family and friends. They're choosing not to talk to you because they don't know what you're so angry about.

On election day one of two people is going to win. Either Hillary or Trump. The election is approaching and the choice is a serious one.

If Hillary had said all the things Trump has said, wouldn't she have been disqualified by now? What if Hillary said something like this?

“I did try and fuck her. She was married,” Trump says. “And I moved on her very heavily."

“Whatever you want,” says Billy Bush (of Access Hollywood).

“Grab them by the pussy,” Trump says. “You can do anything.”

Why are we holding Hillary Clinton to such a higher standard than Trump?

Trump and Pence have told you a lot of things about Hillary Clinton.

Is it possible that Trump and Pence are lying?

Take a moment. Watch this video of Mike Pence at the VP debate for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76qRVEXJoF4

And tell me:

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:36 pm

Hillary and her people are talking about policy.

So what are Trump's people talking about?

Hillary is a "demon from Hell."

This fearmongering can only work on people who are past the tipping point of paranoia:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CubS-hSWIAAv1Zh.jpg
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:40 pm

Hillary and her people are talking about policy.

So what are Trump's people talking about?

Hillary is a "demon from Hell."

I talked to Trump voters a little recently. It was all stuff like, "Hillary is satanic, and opens up the mother's womb to cut the baby apart. She murders people. We're not allowed to eat bacon in restaurants anymore because the Muslims are in charge. They cut people's heads off."

Where are they getting this stuff? Well, here's Trump surrogate Alex Jones:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CubS-hSWIAAv1Zh.jpg

This fearmongering can only work on people who are past the tipping point of paranoia.

Trump has a friendly relationship with Alex Jones, that sensationalist fearmonger who is trying to rile up conservative gun owners into some sort of open rebellion against the government.

Jones acts as if he's a truth teller, fighting against an actual, literal apocalypse caused by the "evil" Democrats.

He's playing to the most paranoid voters you can imagine, and giving them nightmares until it can cause actual violence. He's poisoning the discourse.

In the last debate, Trump called Hillary "the devil" and if you talk to a Trump voter, they often go into Hillary and Obama as "satanic" and "evil" and "ripping the baby to shreds inside the mother's womb" and ....

These people vote. Because they're scared.

Well, those of us who haven't fallen off the deep end are scared too.

I kept asking, what policies of Trump's do you like? How would he make America great again?

Nothing but the vague "I like everything he says, all of his policies."

If we talked about the "grab her by the pussy" tape, it was, "lies. The tape doesn't exist."

Everything that's critical of Trump is "lies" by the "liberal media."

Then more fearmongering about abortion, or maybe taxes. You can't get a straight answer that isn't a long rant about how evil they think Muslims are.

Trump's supporters are often people who are sick of being called bigoted - sexist or racist or homophobic - tired of being called stupid.

But they're more easily described as the kind of people who believe what they hear on the radio, and on cable news. And of course those people exist. Constant propaganda against the Clintons, Obama, etc for decades works on somebody. It works on all of us to an extent. Hillary is distrusted. It's not hard to find even supposed liberals who have spent this election frothing at the mouth attacking Hillary. Propaganda works.

They're living in a bubble where the only coverage of the Democrats they get is about how evil they are. Literally, evil. And they are angry and afraid.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:01 pm

The atrocities of Columbus and those who came after him. We have a problem, as white people. The problem is, we're descended from racist psychopathic zealots who murdered half the world. That streak isn't gone from us now. Lot of bad white people trying to rule the world to this day.

http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/zinncol1.html

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRI3di8UEAAT2XH.png
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room