Super Mario Bros: The Movie: The Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Oliver Judd » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:46 am

I haven't seen that movie yet and I don't really plan to. I don't want my love for Dennis Hopper ruined...
Oliver Judd

Postby GeoNine » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:39 pm

I saw it a long time ago and knew it wasn't good. But to be honest, considering the direction they took it in I think it could have been a lot worst.
GeoNine

Postby Dennis196492 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:59 pm

I just searched for this Super Mario Bros.: The Movie: The Game thing on Google, Youtube, whatever, and what popped up from it were thousands of Nostalgia Critic's Reviews clones shitting on the movie for the sake of shitting, instead of giving it fair criticism, they keep ranting on how it doesn't look like anything like the games like if a 1:1 representation of the SMB games on the big screen would be any better; Believe it or not, there is an IMDb review that brags about that. Why is the internet so hiveminded? :zigzag: I'm not saying the film is perfect, but it isn't atrocious by any means, the jokes/childish tone are, but it's something I think anyone can get past.

End of Rant.
Dennis196492

Postby Shamanic Shaymin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:08 pm

This is my favorite review of the Mario movie, which I found years ago at Amazon.com. I remember my reaction when I first finished reading it: "Oh my god... someone finally gets it."

"4 out of 5 Stars A completely misunderstood movie. Here's why it is good., June 11, 2004
Reviewer: "bulm0r" (England) - See all my reviews

Most people tend to hate this film. I think, though, that they hate it because they're looking at it the wrong way. It's one of those movies that has a point, and if you miss that, you don't get any of it.

Their mistake is to watch this expecting a Mario movie. I know, it sounds like the right thing to expect, but hear me out. Fans of the game know what Mario is all about - powerups, angry mushrooms, winged turtles and flying blocks. If you watch this movie expecting that, you'll be disappointed, as you'll find NONE of it. But that's not to say it isn't worth watching.

Picture the scene: a couple of directors are asked to make a Mario movie by Nintendo, and they want it to be live action. That was the flavour at the time - take cartoon characters and make them real. Now, these directors know about Mario. They say "No way can that be done. Mario is all about being a cartoon. Jumping on little angry animals, everyone's a mushroom... It's a great game, and it'd make a good cartoon, but a live action version would just be moronic." "Oh, don't worry about that," says Nintendo, "just so long as you get the main elements in, do it how you want."

The directors go away, rubbing their chins, trying to think of a way to do that but still do justice to the games. And then they have a fascinating idea.

What if they don't do a Mario film, exactly. What if they do a sci-fi film, but fill it to the brim with Mario references, for the keen-eyed game fans?

That's what this movie is. If you watch it with that in mind, you will enjoy it. I've tested this theory out already on a friend who thought the film was a bit stupid when he saw it as a kid, but watched it yesterday with my little thesis in mind and he loved it.

What you get here is a quite serious (despite the light-hearted script) sci-fi flick about the nightmarish world ours may soon become: crowded, filthy, choked with pollution and overrun with a hate-filled populace who will fight you, yell at you, even try to shoot you if you pass too close. Run by a demonic well-dressed dictator politician (played to amazing effect by Dennis Hopper) who has let this world become the dark horror it is through neglect: there is no water any more, only sludge, and a slimy infestation of fungus has grown over everything, draped in great loops like one gigantic, chaotic spider web. Into this world come Mario and Luigi, similar to their game counterparts but more human, a pair of plumber brothers from Brooklyn who grew up together as orphans. They are trying to save a girl, who has been kidnapped and dragged here, and along the way they get wrapped up in something really horrifying: the president and his people are human, but human descended from dinosaurs instead of apes. He's found a way to revert his citizens back to their prehistoric roots, and with his army of lizard lackeys he's going to bridge the split between worlds (that formed when the meteorite that "killed" the dinosaurs hit) and take over our own.

And through all this we find references of the sort that Mario's biggest fans will drool over, so long as they are watching this in the way I suggest. These prove that the film has been put together not by someone ignorant of the games, but by someone very well versed in their lore. A large woman called Big Bertha, dressed all in red, is named in reference to a large red fish enemy from Mario 3. She wears mechanical boots named "Thwomp-Stompers", after the classic ice block enemies, and they are powered by capsules that look exactly like Bullet Bills, from Super Mario Bros 1. Shops are apparently owned by people with the same names as characters from the games (Hammer Bros and Bullet Bill), a protest singer is named after Toad, the happy little mushroom from the games, but his hair is shaved into the pattern on the shell of Lakitu, a fan favourite since day one. These references go on throughout the film and shape its world - the fungus, which turns out to be a conscious entity, helps the brothers in every way it can; they are saved on more than one occasion by mushrooms, in what has become a literal mushroom kingdom.

It's all in here if you keep your eyes peeled. Go in ready to watch not a Mario film, but a film that references Mario, and you will love it. It doesn't "change" anything from the games, because it is not any kind of filmed version of them, but it nods to them constantly.

Viewed in this light, it is a treat to watch, and a rare treat, because no other film has ever crammed in so many references to videogaming before. Simply put, a live action Mario film could never be made, and the directors asked to make one did a brilliant job at trying something new and original. Well worth the ten dollars for the DVD.
Shamanic Shaymin

Postby Dennis196492 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:07 pm

I wonder what people mean by ''Do not watch this as a Mario movie'', it's like they think a Mario movie would have any potential; not even the cartoon show was that great.

And yes, this is one of the Super Mario Brothers Archive's forums reviews. I remember reading it back on the forum.

In 2010, they reunited a bunch of people to reverse the situation, they wanted to increase the film's score at IMDb and Amazon, which they kinda suceeded, since the film's score in IMDb went from 3.3 to 3.8 (it's something), and in amazon, it went from 2 Starts to 4.

They want Disney to release the film on Blu-Ray, and extended, if it's possible, but you know how Disney is, and makes me wonder how things could have been if the movie was bought by Warner Brothers or something.

I don't know if they are allowed to do it, but since Disney doesn't care about this film, I think they should do an HD transfer of it, and leek it online. But that sounds like something crazy to ask, and wouldn't happen anyway, so we're just wishing. Until then, the Swedish/Japanese release of the film will do, I guess.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:43 pm

Let me know if you ever track down a 35mm film print, I could help you with that.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:52 am

The best way I can describe the love for the Super Mario Bros. Movie is as if the true story of The Thief and the Cobbler was never revealed, The Thief's Workprint was never discovered, and there was no Reccobled Cut, and because of that, everyone would bash this film up and down saying that Richard decided to add songs and humor to compete with Alladin at the last minute. Despite that, there would still exist a small group of people that believe an extended version of the film exists, and has yet to be discovered.

And yes, the guys at the Archive do have a 35mm copy of the film, but I don't know they would be willing to hand it over for a HD transfer.
Dennis196492

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:11 am

Dennis196492

Postby Shamanic Shaymin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:37 am

Personally, I liked the world-building that was in Super Mario Bros. Movie. I think what the reviewer meant by "Don't expect this to be Mario" meant "Don't expect this to be like the Mario cartoon." I myself see the movie as a humongous AU (alternate universe) of the Mario games, which is why it's drastically different than the games, but it's familiar enough to be in the Mario universe without feeling like the "Mario" label was just slapped on an original work. I just find the dystopian underground world where dinosaurs have managed to survive and evolve to be their own species very fascinating and a fun interpretation of the Mario universe, and I like the little things such as the evolution/de-evolution ray. Based off the original drafts, the movie was supposed to go a lot deeper into this world (such as the Koopas alluding to the Nazis), which I think was why actors like Hopkins auditioned in the first place. Of course, in the end we got a messed up product tangled by eleven-something writers, but even in the final version, there's still a lot of elements there. You could tell that they worked their asses off and that they wanted to make a good movie, and as drastically AU as it was, you KNOW that they've played the games. (As opposed to Captain N, which Just Didn't Care)

Of course, world-building and good intent can't save a movie. For example, Cool World was another movie with an interesting concept (even moreso Bakshi's original plans for an animated horror flick), but it was so clumsy and I found the characters so annoying, unlikable and/or forgettable (the only character I didn't want to strangle was Brad Pitt's animated brunette girlfriend) that I just didn't care. For Mario Bros, I cared about Hopkins!Mario and Leguizamo!Luigi and wanted them to succeed. I freaked out when Yoshi got stabbed by Fiona Shaw's character and I wanted the Goomba that befriended Daisy to be safe. Spike and Iggy didn't bug me that much and I appreciated that the film seemed to lampshade their stupidity/annoyingness by Koopa deciding to put them under the evolution ray. I got some genuine laughs out of some of the lines and overall, had a good time.

I definitely won't deny the film's flaws, of course. Like I said, the film's all over the place and it's like watching a hurricane, and there's some silly/corny parts that I feel should've been cut out. The pacing also really drags at parts it shouldn't (and really? The Mario Bros. don't get into their familiar overalls until the last third/quarter of the movie?), and needed better editing. But overall, I liked the movie. Not my all-time favorite by any means, but I still enjoyed it and I'm glad I watched it.
Shamanic Shaymin

Postby Shamanic Shaymin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:44 am

There's also a really obscure Mario anime movie (even in Japan it's difficult to find) called "Super Mario Bros.: Peach-Hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen (スーパーマリオブラザーズ ピーチ姫救出大作戦!?, "Super Mario Bros.: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach!"), which is a LOT more like what you'd expect a Mario movie to be like. You can definitely tell this was made long ago, since Luigi's colors hadn't been determined yet and Luigi himself acts a lot more like Wario than the hapless, humble soul we see today. You can watch it subtitled on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-2Y2CtHt_U

There's also two Japanese Mario shorts based off fairy-tales Momo-taro, Issunboushi, and Snow White, also subtitled on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HejQtl6WSrw (Snow White Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqeqwkZKWqo (Snow White Part 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLPH260mJi8 (Momo-taro Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-F3RApkNic (Momo-taro Part 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrQV5Sq8v64 (Issunboushi)

Personally, I like these WAY better than Mario Bros. Super Show. They're cute. :o

If there's ever another Mario movie, I'd love it to be animated like Quest for Princess Peach and the fairy-tale shorts and be an adaptation of Super Mario RPG or the later RPG games like Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. That'd be awesome. :o (Though I wouldn't mind a stop-motion SMRPG either. Its graphics on the SNES certainly lend to it...)
Shamanic Shaymin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room