Super Mario Bros: The Movie: The Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Dennis196492 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:57 am

I understand.

The case with Cool World was the Paramount only green-lighted the film because they tought it could compete with Roger Rabbit, they re-wrote the whole screenplay without the director knowing, and when they brought in the new script the day the sets were finished, it's rumoured that Ralph punched the studio owner's son in the face when he handed over the altered screenplay. But I don't care that much, even if the film was done as he intended, it wouldn't be that good.

Still, the reason why Super Mario Bros. had to be toned down so much was because Disney bought the film, and brought in Princess and the Cobbler writers to add some jokes and lighten up the film. If you don't know already, I'm looking foward to work on a fan-edit of the movie, I did a audio-less fanedit on Youtube of the Car Chase scene, but it's pretty much an early choppy and messy version of the scene, I changed it quite a lot.

The best part is that deleting most of the dumb stuff will reduce the film's running time by 20 Minutes.

Anyway, I'm begining to raise some suspitions towards the artwork that is shown in The Legend of Zelda's Instruction Book, they look like screengrabs from an animated film, there is even little dirt and cel shadows around the characters:

Dennis196492

Postby Shamanic Shaymin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:09 am

Oh yeah, I read all about that. I haven't seen much of Bakshi's work, but I didn't really like what I did see. I got bored watching parts of "Wizards."

That certainly explains why I found the movie on the Disney Channel. I never even knew that a Mario movie existed at the time, and I had to stare at the TV guide to be sure I wasn't just seeing things. So I went into the movie completely blind. I remember being disappointed in it being live-action, then shrugging and thinking, "Oh well" and decided to see if the movie itself was any good. And I was quite surprised. :o

Man, I can't wait for this fan-edit to be finished! This is going to be awesome. Nice to see that my biggest complaints about the movie will be remedied. ;D
Shamanic Shaymin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:00 pm

No, there was no Legend of Zelda animated film, but the artwork was done in that style and is pretty gorgeous.

It wasn't uncommon in the 80s to produce artwork as cels in the style of an animated film. I recall my father did that for a line of Minnie & Me books.

The Super Mario Bros. website people got back to me - or Steven did, anyway - telling me that they don't have a 35mm print of the film. But I'll keep looking, I guess.

I don't like anything Ralph Bakshi ever did.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:32 pm

Uh...ok. But still, I love that artwork, I wouldn't mind if the new Zelda game is made in that style.

Weird, they should have a 35mm copy of the film, maybe they rented one for the anniversary screenings?
Dennis196492

Postby Shamanic Shaymin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:46 am

Here's a more critical review of the Super Mario Bros. Movie by James Rolfe (as himself and not AVGN, so there's no yelling or goofy stuff)

http://cinemassacre.com/2013/05/28/supe ... ie-review/

His verdict is it's a bad movie and a terrible adaptation (and he gives good and thorough examples of why the "references" bother him, not just "ZOMG IT'S NOT LIKE THE GAMEZ IT SUX"), but that it wasn't as bad as its reputation. He considers it a "time capsule of the 90s," which is a good way of putting it. He gives a shout-out to Roger Rabbit, and I had to smile from his comment on Hoskins after he finished filming Mario Bros: "It's like he's become the real life Eddie Valiant."
Shamanic Shaymin

Postby Dennis196492 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:21 am

His review is actually one of the best ones because he gave negative points to things that were indeed negative about the film. He also admited that he wanted a more ''steroids'' version of the film back then, just like with Ninja Turtles, only problem, it was the jokes and the things that were extremely off that gave him the bad impression.

But the only ''time-capsule'' aspects of the movie he referenced were the soundtrack (which combined with the pink highlights of the American DVD made the film look like one of those silly TV movies you'd see when skipping through the channels) and those stupid jokes and gags; nothing more, the Dinossaur thing was something that was on the film since the first pitch back in 1991, as well as it was what people tought Bowser/King Koopa was at the time.
Dennis196492

Postby Shamanic Shaymin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:13 am

That's true! He did mention other 90sish things about the movie though, like the needle-thing that Luigi put on his face ("I've forgotten all about those!") and the pre-9/11 footage of the World Trade Center, though that's common in a lot of pre-9/11 movies.
Shamanic Shaymin

Postby Dennis196492 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:58 am

News on the Super Mario Brothers Edit! yes, it's still going!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7e9_Q6Neak
Dennis196492

Postby Dennis196492 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:53 pm

it's going fine.

I reedited the Chase scene once again, and I guarantee, it's a whole lot better. I still have to do a lot of work on the audio, but basic editing is basicaly done; If anything, it's 40% done.
Dennis196492

Postby Dennis196492 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:13 pm

A little update on Super Mario Brothers, for those who care.

While I was working on removing the music in one of the Prison Cell scenes, I noticed that the tone of this one scene changed dramatically, it literally became a scene focused on torturing Bob Hoskins, so I decided to keep the music in that scene. As a joke, I am calling my edit 'Torturing Bob Hoskins: Bubblegum Madness'.

Color correcting the whole thing is exactly what the film needed, just having a color tone that isn't pink improves the film immensively. You wouldn't believe how tolerable some scenes roll when they don't look so pink. It just goes to show of how much of a bad source the US DVD is, it makes everything look fake and plastic, and even making the editing bad; So colors play a big part on this edit.
Dennis196492

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room