Joss Hoskie Makes Stuff

A forum for creative people.

Joss Hoskie Makes Stuff

Postby JustinHoskie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:10 pm

It's finally happened. I've made a thread for my YouTube project, DisneyAshmanDemos, where I'll be posting almost everything I upload to the channels (with the possible exception of the Little Shop uploads, which'll stay in the Little Shop thread.) My first post: The Alice in Wonderland segment from the March 18, 1951 episode of The Fred Waring Show, included on the 2010 DVD and 2011 BRD.

This was more or less a test for Little Shop: The Imitation Workprint, to see if I could rip something from a DVD in higher quality than I have been, and if I could make a good, high-quality MP4 file. (The answer is yes.) I also decided to kill two birds with one stone, because I finally found my copy of the 2010 DVD and I had been wanting to upload this for ages.

http://youtu.be/RMcVfqRCNNc
Last edited by JustinHoskie on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JustinHoskie

Re: All Things DisneyAshmanDemos

Postby JustinHoskie » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:42 am

Oh! I forgot to mention everything on it!

1. Here are the demos to Howard Ashman and Alan Menken's first musical, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.
  2. Here are the demos to Little Shop of Horrors (will be replaced soon).
  3. Here are the composer demos to Smile, Howard's only Broadway show and only collaboration with Marvin Hamlisch.
  4. Here are the cast demos to Smile.
  5. Here are the demos to The Little Mermaid. (I'll restart work on the rest of the demo-syncs soon.)
  6. All of the Howard Ashman demo syncs to date (that I haven't replaced or deleted).
  7. Excerpts from the Aladdin workprint I have.
  8. My (in my opinion failed) demo sync for "This is Halloween."
  9. Jodi Benson's Unsung Musicals recording of "Disneyland." (Thanks, Tumblr!)
  10. The complete demo to "Arabian NIghts," edited together using TMBTM and HSA. (This hasn't been officially released yet. I have to finish uploading the rest of the Aladdin original score demos.)
  11. The original recording of "Arabian NIghts."

And because I spent countless sleepless nights on it making sure it was perfect, here are all the lyrics and Alan Menken's song notes included with The Music Behind the Magic, with a few minor corrections, added lyrics, and added notes, all in a glorious PDF.

EDIT: Just because I love it, here's the transcript to the Arabian Nights demo, which, side note, was mentioned in the included book of Music Behind the Magic with only this solitary line: "ARABIAN NIGHTS - In it's original form has been omitted."

ALAN: Test! Test! Test!

HOWARD: Test. Test. Test to the [unintelligible]. Here we go. Alright.

ALAN: I could maybe start with...

[Alan begins playing.]

HOWARD: Dialog dialog dialog! Dialog dialog! More dialog! Dialog! And a joke!

BOTH: ♫ Oh I come from a land, from a faraway place ♫
♫ Where the caravan camels roam ♫
♫ Where they'll cut off your ear ♫
♫ If they don't like your face. ♫
♫ It's barbaric, but hey, it's home ♫
♫ When the winds from the east, ♫
♫ And the suns from the west, ♫
♫ And the sand in the glass is right, ♫
♫ Come on down, come on in ♫
♫ Let the magic began, ♫
♫ It's another Arabian night. ♫

♫ Oh, I come from a land where intrigue is in style ♫
♫ And adventure is status quo. ♫
♫ Where they'll hacked off your lips ♫
♫ If they don't like your smile. ♫
♫ It's the law. Did I make it? No. ♫

♫ See the dervishes dance ♫
♫ In ridiculous pants, ♫
♫ Then romance to your heart's delight. ♫

♫ Come on down, stop on by, ♫
♫ Hop a carpet and fly ♫
♫ To another Arabian night. ♫

♫ Arabian nights, like Arabian days, ♫
♫ They tease and excite, ♫
♫ Take off and take flight, ♫
♫ They shook and amaze. ♫

♫ Arabian nights, like Arabian noons, ♫
♫ The thrills that one seeks ♫
♫ One finds with the sheiks, the geeks and the goons. ♫

♫ In that magical place, in that mystical land ♫
♫ There's a genie in every jar. ♫
♫ He'll do all your bidding, ♫
♫ Your wish his command; it's demeaning, ♫
♫ But hey, there you are. ♫
♫ Arabian nights ♫

[Howard begins listening. Alan continues.]

ALAN: ♫ Like Arabian days, ♫
♫ More often than not ♫
♫ Are hotter than hot ♫
♫ In several ways. ♫

♫ Arabian nights, 'neath Arabian moons, ♫
♫ A guy off his guard ♫
♫ Could fall and fall hard ♫
♫ Out there on the dunes. ♫
♫ Arabian nights, like Arabian days ♫

[Alan begins vocalizing to music.]

HOWARD: ...follow me to a place where incredible feats....

ALAN: ♫ Follow me to a place where incredible feats ♫
♫ Are routine - ♫
I don't know.
♫ - every hour so. ♫
♫ Where enchantment runs rampant, ♫
♫ Yes, wild in the streets. ♫
♫ Open sesame, here we go. ♫

♫ Pack your shield, pack your sword, ♫
♫ You won't ever get bored, ♫
♫ Though get beaten or gored you might. ♫
♫ Call it mad, call it crazed, but let Allah be praised, ♫
♫ It's another ♫
♫ Arabian night..... ♫
Last edited by JustinHoskie on Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
JustinHoskie

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:55 am

There are two workprints of Aladdin that have been leaked; both feature different endings to the final film.

This includes an earlier workprint which is quite different. Aladdin's song "You Can Count On Me," sung to Abu, is in there, as is the Peddler reprising "Arabian Nights" at the end.

The leaked workprint of The Lion King I've seen is very low quality but presents the story in an extremely rough state, not really thought through yet. The leaked Nightmare Before Christmas workprint also gets very sketchy storywise around the point of the ending and confrontation with Oogie Boogie.

Which is not at all uncommon with animated workprints; either they're very close to the final film or they give the impression that scenes weren't fully thought out and written yet.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby JustinHoskie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:03 am

Here's what I originally wrote for this post.
For a while, I've been collecting composer demos, and I've been thinking about making a DAD off-shoot that I could upload them too and create demo syncs for. Today, I did just that, and created The Composer Demo Archive! (A name I immediately regretted.) For my first set, I decided to upload the demos to Hairspray, which would allow me to create demo-syncs for pretty much every single song.

I naturally decided to start with the first song, "Good Morning Baltimore," and I'm not sure if I should release it or not. For one thing, the video quality isn't as great as I'd like it to be. Also, it's an example of why I only did two "Little Shop" demo syncs, and I don't plan on making anymore. Doing live-action demo syncs are, for whatever reason, harder for me too do than animated demo syncs, and they take forever to do. Not only that, this is the first time I've done a demo sync in Premiere, and it was a constant battle to make sure I wasn't screwing it all up.

In the end, this turned out fine to okay, if that. In some places it's perfectly in sync, in others, it's horrible. I uploaded as unlisted to show it to you guys. Should I publish it? Or should I redo it?

However, I just watched the uploaded video, about an hour or so after finishing it, and it's more or less fine. The video looks fine, and the sync, with a few exceptions, is great. (I think I was being overly analytically as I was editing it and trying too hard to make it 100% perfect.) I'm pretty happy with it, so I published it, and The Demo Archive is open!

Here's the "Good Morning Baltimore" demo sync: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fdzTVcj0s8
Here's a link to the channel: http://www.youtube.com/composerdemo
JustinHoskie

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:47 am

Thanks for that PDF and those lyrics!

Pack your shield, pack your sword,
You won't ever get bored,
Though get beaten or gored you might.

Ah, used in the TV series!
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby JustinHoskie » Fri May 09, 2014 8:58 pm

Since I don't have that much time right now for much else, I decided to upload a clip of the SourceFed hosts singing "Part of That World" during an episode of Truth or Dare. I've been wanting to make a playlist of fun Disney and Howard Ashman covers for a while, so I decided to use this as my opportunity. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5CJGc2s5SU (I love the fact that Joe Bereta, who has two young daughters, looks absolutely sick of the song at the end.)

Garrett Gilchrist wrote:Thanks for that PDF and those lyrics!

Thanks! I worked my ass off on that PDF. There are still a few typos in it (dammit), but it was fun to do and looking at the lyrics made me appreciate "Under the Sea".
JustinHoskie

Postby JustinHoskie » Sun May 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Spending the day working on The Demo Archive. I just uploaded the demo sync to The Nicest Kids in Town, which you can view here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0WQ02lg7II

Now that I know how to use Premier, it's a lot easier and faster than Movie Maker ever was. How I ever used it, I'll never know.

EDIT: Another sync uploaded! Here's "Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now" synced to a video of the original Broadway cast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTHMuXvu-dM
JustinHoskie

Postby JustinHoskie » Mon May 26, 2014 6:03 pm

In preparation of the demo sync, I quickly edited the cut verse back into "Poor Unfortunate Souls," It isn't groundbreaking, but it is fairly seemless and nice enough to share: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2dgU_IrpDo
JustinHoskie

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon May 26, 2014 9:36 pm

That "your voice" closeup is so Rock & Rule. Or Don Bluth, maybe.

Did you download my Lion King/Mermaid workprint disc?
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby JustinHoskie » Mon May 26, 2014 10:21 pm

Garrett Gilchrist wrote:That "your voice" closeup is so Rock & Rule. Or Don Bluth, maybe.

Did you download my Lion King/Mermaid workprint disc?

Yes! I have! Thank you for it!

I think I'm gonna sit down sometime this week and decide if I want to upload anything. There isn't anything super different in Mermaid material, just a few demo instrumentals ("Les Poisons" is a perfect example), but that didn't keep me from uploading the "Aladdin" excerpts, and it is just a cool thing to see.

The Lion King, on the other hand, I'm probably gonna do with what I did with "Aladdin" and what I plan on doing with "Little Shop"; upload all the songs. For one, people worship The Lion King, everyone (with the exception of one Wil Wheaton) loves it, and it's just a cool thing to see. Secondly, there are no demos for it, and these are close enough. I just need to sit down and map everything out.
JustinHoskie

Next

Return to The Big Round Room