Animation Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: Animation Thread

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:04 am

I'm waiting on the new storyboards, I haven't even compared the scene numbers with what they were intended/what they ended up as with the new scenes.

I also noticed going through the storyboards that Gurgi does not mutter ''munchies and crunchies in here somewhere'' at the end of the movie, a ''creative liberty'' I took with the movie years ago when I uploaded the scene on Youtube where I removed most of the dialog. Heh.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:40 pm

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

1.08 “Princess Prom,” or:

How gay can we make this episode?

No, gayer than that.

Gayer.

http://tygerbug.tumblr.com/post/181300704698
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:36 pm

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (2018) - I'm repeating myself here, but I adored this smart, funny, emotional and exciting reboot. It's full of memorable characters and it looks like the show is only just getting started, with hints of much bigger and darker things planned. I also think that male audiences need to stay the hell away from this show rather than taking over and ruining the fandom. Guys tend to do that. +++

There's so much going on here that it took them all 13 episodes to properly introduce all the princesses who appear in the opening. The central character relationships are brilliant, especially Adora and Catra, and I was impressed at how increasingly gay the whole thing got, especially late in the series after, presumably, the "wrong people" would no longer be watching. And I liked what appears to be an explanation for the absence of the He-Man characters - a door they leave open. The characters are all funny and interesting first, and the strong anime influence works.

I get the feeling that other shows are going to copy the whole ... situation between Adora and Catra. And possibly get in trouble for it. The dynamic with Catra/Scorpia/(third princess character) is also delightfully weird.

Generally the characters don't look like they're wearing makeup - lips aren't emphasized and the heavy eyelashes also appear on the men. Scorpia in "Princess Prom" is an exception and really stands out.

Mermista is just Heather from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Same character, and I'm okay with that.

Entrapta reminds me of a young Jerri Blank as Dr. Octopus so it was funny to see this and Spiderverse in the same week. It's good that they make sure these characters are funny.

+++ (I still have mixed feelings about what happened with My Little Pony, when male fans really had a big effect on the show. It was certainly interesting but after the rise of the alt-right on Twitter and other social media I'm glad nothing like that's happened with She-Ra - apart from the alt-right hating on the show and attacking it.)

+++ (The My Little Pony fandom changed the essence of what the show was. That's okay, but ... it happened. A bunch of young guys, including a lot of channer shitlords, made memes and shitposts about a girl's cartoon and then the memes became the show. And a lot of fans used this process to come out as LGBT. It was ... interesting. But social media has gotten a lot worse between 2012 and 2018 and I wouldn't want to go through a darker version of that with Actual Nazis involved.)
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby WalkerHS30 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:30 pm

If the alt right's hating on your work (be it an animated series, a movie, a song, whatever), you know you're doing things right!

Anyways, I think that active male dominated fandoms are oscillating from "foul mounthed but harmless" to "downright dangerous" but that overly zealous and active fandoms in general are annoying. I mean, I like the Harry Potter universe, for example, but the hardcore fandom is quite a pain to deal with in conventions. Well, at least, they're not literal Neo-nazis, but not being dangerous doesn't mean they can't be unpleasant.
The most annoying thing is this is the elitism, you are quickly branded a "fake fan" or a "normie" if you're not a hardcore expert of the entire extended lore and main fanfics of the universe you like. That's why I don't spend a lot of time with the HP or Star Wars fanbases anymore, for example...
WalkerHS30

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:50 pm

I've basically left several fanbases (Doctor Who, Star Wars) due to some nonsense after I'd done a popular project. Hm.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby ziddersroofurry » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:44 pm

I've been a lurker here for quite awhile and appreciate the efforts folks have put into preserving animation history (especially with Rock & Rule) which is why I feel a little let down to see the same anti-brony nonsense here. If you knew anything about the brony fandom you'd know that it's full of a ton of kind, well-meaning and supportive guys. Are there a-holes in the fandom? Sure-and the rest of us guys into it make sure to do what we can to make them know they're not welcome asap. Last year the brony fandom raised over a hundred-thousand dollars for charity. A lot of that was raised by male members of the fandom.

I get being frustrated with assholes but it's kind of dickish to make sweeping judgments about an entire group of fans without getting to know many of them personally.

On a different note the new She-Ra rocks. I like that it's carrying on the spirit of shows like Gravity Falls, Steven Universe and MLP:FIM. Animation is progressing and we're getting more cartoons that teach things like kindness and acceptance. Lessons a lot of people could do well to learn.
ziddersroofurry

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:10 pm

I was a brony, dude. That's where I'm coming from with my comments.

EDIT: But don't take it from me, read this synopsis carefully:
https://twitter.com/Con_Of_The_Dead/sta ... 2261778441
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Big Round Room