The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:48 am

Thanks Deckard. I appreciate the kind words and support.

There's no reason to think any less of Richard, or Margaret, or anyone else here. It's a complicated situation centered around a complicated person and in some ways I've complicated it further.

What you can do is exactly what you've done - support this project and tell friends about it. I think we've done a lot of good here, and will continue to do so. Have I mentioned the restored Sailor and the Devil is coming?

I forgot to mention that at that screening, the music piped in overhead was specially chosen for the event - and there were some odd choices. The Arabian Knight soundtrack, for one. If Richard had recognized that he wouldn't be happy! There was also the end credits theme to The Liquidator, which I give them points for. Just the opening theme would have been obscure enough! Those are the only ones that I really noticed, with everything else that was going on.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:31 pm

The Creative Person - Richard Williams documentary - HD from 16mm
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/d5 ... 028/693136

Transfer by Helge Bernhardt
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:58 pm

So I just looked up The Thief and the Cobbler on Youtube, and the results were cringe-worthy, why did this happened? How did this happen? Miramax cut as the first result? Them awful songs right on the front page? 300 thousand views for an outdated version of the cut with the lowest possible qaulity? :zigzag:

And the worst part is that I tried contacting the guy that posted the Miramax cut and he went on a fit of tard rage saying that he wouldn't delete the videos, because "haters gonna hate", which is basicaly a internet slang for "lalalala I can't hear you", used by the worst type of autists.

I heard you can pass yourself as a company, and flag a copyrighted video, it's happening with Let's Players, and lately many films on Youtube are being taken down, I would love to see those songs videos with 30 thousand views taken down, or that at least those people come to their senses that having these videos up hurts the film's reputation, and remains eternally as a big shitstain in the film industry.

I'll admit, if I already haven't, that I was attracted to The Thief through Nostalgia Critic, lately I stopped caring about him, but that's another story, what matters is that he did a terrible review of the Miramax version, and barely advertised the Reccobled Cut, initially I was going to watch the Miramax cut because at the time I felt like punishing myself by watching bad movies, I didn't find it at first, because it was named after Arabian Knight, so I watched the Reccobled Cut first, because why not. And the rest is history.

And that's where all this shit about the Miramax cut being easily available fucks with everything, people that don't know about The Thief will most likely watch the Miramax version first, and yuk it up with Johnathan Winters monologues, and not find those versions that bad, I know that because I sorta went through the same situation, thank god I got it over quickly, but it looks like it didn't happened with other people, seeing that this is happening, and their defense being that they watched this horrendous piece of shit as a kid, which I can do nothing but feel bad, for the person, for the film, and for Garret, that is done with the project, after 8 years of collecting footage, meeting people and putting all this mess together.

Oh, and Tack's hat is gray, just saying, I've seen thousands of fan-art showing him with brown hat, Arabian Knight's color balance is terribly red, but the contrast mostly hides it.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:30 pm

While I wouldn't go that far with my words, it is very disappointing that those versions heavily trump the Recobbled Cut on Google and Youtube, to a ludicrous degree.

After a heavy push by myself, the first part of the Recobbled Cut Mark 4 has doubled its views to 14,762 as I write this. It had about 7k before - only about 4k once you get into later parts of the film.

Compare that to 166,197 views for the Miramax version, posted by some guy. 85,362 more for the Miramax version, posted by The Thief Archive.

172,941 for the Princess and the Cobbler, posted by The Thief Archive.

And 393,973 for an outdated Recobbled Cut posted without permission by some guy.

When I look on Google, I can't find the actual Recobbled Cut Mark 4, part one. It just doesn't turn up.

Tell your friends. Spread the word. Help is still needed.

Here's the correct link ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZibUpH- ... 76&index=1
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Milan P. » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm very sorry for being absent for a while. I've been keeping track of everything that's been going on, but I've been very busy with family, friends, and all sorts of other things. :slap:

I'd just like to take the time to thank you Garrett. You've been an awesome guy to look upon throughout the year, and you've really helped me to understand the beauty of hand drawn art and film with the Recobbled Cut which you chose to claim your last.

It's been a fun ride to follow, and you also assisted me in directing away from trying to do shitty tracings into trying to do better with my own 2D art, which I will try to apply into the new year, as I've been testing with CG for a while.

It's downright amazing to see how much has happened with The Thief this year: The final Recobbled Cut, Richard Williams acknowledging it again, bringing up a (somewhat) HD workprint in the first public screening of the director's cut, the fact the Recobbled Cut has been shown at film festivals, the discoveries of new footage from the director's cut thanks to some of the people who worked on it, it's downright amazing.

So, who knows what's in store for The Thief in 2014? Possibly a release of the recently screened cut on home video? Simply more screenings at big festivals of Rich's cut? More interest in the Recobbled Cut by BIGGER people? Only time will tell.

I wish you a happy new year, and the best of luck on your other projects.
-Milan
Milan P.

Postby Shamanic Shaymin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:45 pm

Speaking of colors, what color is Yum-Yum's shirt supposed to be? Red, orange, or red-orange?
Shamanic Shaymin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:46 pm

Cheers Milan.

Richard's workprint screening was definitely HD, though unrestored. I wonder if it will be shown again.

As you've probably seen, Helge Bernhardt has restored the 1967 documentary Richard Williams: A Creative Person in HD from 16mm film. Meanwhile I have done a lot of work on The Sailor and the Devil, including the clip from Helge's transfer. I'll finish that when I have a moment. I'm working on other great creative projects so stay tuned in the new year ...

I would say Yum-Yum's shirt is a red-orange.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:39 pm

Youtube upload of the first half of the 1967 Creative Person documentary, transferred from 16mm by Helge Bernhardt and from the collection of John Culhane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOsJ297X ... e=youtu.be

No idea how I'm going to split off the second half yet - it's all in a format that my Mac software struggles with. We'll see on that.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room