The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

Postby ChrisWTF » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:40 pm

Thanks for the plug, Garrett. Publicity is awesome! :thief:
I also put together a little video highlighting the process of restoring the shot. Check it out.

Garrett has me chugging away on some similar shots. One in particular is finishing a large piece of missing background for the Thief's tightrope scene. You can see the shot here.

This is actually a bit more challenging than the door, which was mostly a patch job. Here I have to do some custom painting and a lot of careful image manipulation. Thankfully, many of the buildings drawn in pencil are the same or similar to ones in the finished pieces of the background, so some of the work is already done. Here's a scaled down image of the incomplete piece's full width (with the chain carefully sponged out)...

The forum cuts part of it off, but you get the idea. Pretty wide.

In addition to finishing the background itself, there's a minor technical issue to overcome. Because the lens of the camera warps the image on the sides, the width and shape of the buildings changes slightly as the shot pans across. My goal is to recreate the background with the truest proportions I can and - if Garrett wishes - the image can be manipulated further to accommodate the warp. The shot is so quick though, so that probably won't be necessary.
ChrisWTF

Postby ctlw83 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:00 pm

ChrisWTF, that looks AMAZING.
ctlw83

Postby ctlw83 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:08 pm

Garrett Gilchrist wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/?rdcgspex6m1snrg

Here's a new shot for the Thief Mark 4. The background was recreated and repainted in closeup by Chris Fern, based on what's in the film itself. Chris is a talented artist and painter in his own right, with a dark and gritty style, and is available for commissions. (I hear he could really use the money this month.)

http://chriswtfern.deviantart.com/

More info on the shot here:
http://chriswtfern.blogspot.com/2013/01 ... -door.html

The door looks great! I see a small continuity issue in the shot. If you look behind the bars during the zoom, just after the 1 second mark, the footage suddenly jumps from a stone-like background to the front of the door suddenly being there. It is a small nit-picky kind of thing, but, I did notice it.
ctlw83

Postby Oliver Judd » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Lookin' fantastic, Chris.
Oliver Judd

Postby TheTimeWanderer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:47 pm

I've finally got the first of quite a few pencil tests uploaded. lineTests1.mpg at 1:28:08 long. This one is full of neat little things, including some of the old Bubba and the Witch Emery Hawkins animation. Have fun looking through it!

http://depositfiles.com/files/0fllhtsfw
TheTimeWanderer

Postby ctlw83 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:07 pm

That is one large .mpg file!
ctlw83

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Oliver, we should do this in another thread, but I'd really like to talk to you about your Adobe Premiere issues. Although I don't work in Premiere (and haven't since 2005 or so), perhaps I or the other forum members can help you troubleshoot. Give us some screencaptures detailing the codec settings of your original footage, and of your Premiere sequences, and of your export settings.

I actually haven't released an Update video since December; I really need to cut some stuff together for the Youtube channel. It's really that I'm so close to finished with the SD material, and bits of the HD material, but they need at least one more weekend's work.

During Livestreams I tend to do a lot of Photoshop work, and that needs to be edited together in FCP later, which I tend not to do during streams. I never quite finished the "beauty pass" I was doing on the SD material either. The HD version of the first few scenes of the film is nearly done, but I've realized I need to redo the crystal ball scenes in a different aspect ratio.

The first few HD scenes of the film have received special attention. Most of yesterday's Livestream - about five and a half hours - was spent removing dirt from two brief shots of Zigzag about to step on a tack. These shots (about 75 frames) are extremely dirty, and the first shot is also extremely detailed. I want the beginning of the film to make a good impression in HD, so I decided that in this case the extra work was worth it. It was a lot of extra work, though.

Incidentally, here is my restoration of the rare Prince Bubba, The Mad and Holy Old Witch and Princess Meemee pencil tests, mostly by Emery Hawkins. And rather strange.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?56c5hdygszviy2v

British animator Bob Godfrey (Roobarb and Custard) has passed. He was remembered by Richard Williams this morning on the Today programme :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01qsph3

Richard's segment is at 1hr 50.

Here are Bob Godfrey and Richard Williams on the Do It Yourself Film Animation Show in 1974.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RQDDEmfpjg

SS has asked me, Is there interest in an HD/Blu-Ray version of Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure? My feeling was that he should try to get the rights (which seem to be pretty murky, especially the music rights) and do a legal, legitimate release, if it's at all possible. However ...

The film is not on DVD and has not been officially released in widescreen, and in 2007, SS, KA and myself, using donations from Patrick McCart and other members of the Orange Cow forums, transferred KA's 35mm print of the film to video, where you can now see it on Youtube and elsewhere in widescreen as intended. At the same time we transferred KA's 35mm reels of The Little Island, Richard Williams' first animated film, which none of us in this group had previously been able to see in any format, and most importantly 49 minutes of early workprint reels from The Thief and the Cobbler which KA had saved from the trash at Warner Bros.

Recently, thanks to $1400 worth of donations from Thief fans at the Orange Cow forum and elsewhere, SS retransferred KA's Thief 35mm reels in HD, and I am now painting out dirt and splices and restoring them to big-screen quality. SS and KA now both have 35mm prints of Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure (SS got his for cheap. UCLA also holds a copy).

Is there enough interest in the Raggedy Ann film to support an HD release? Do we think a license to legally release the film on Blu-Ray could be obtained? Or would we be soliciting donations again?
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby segagamer99 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:29 am

Great job on the door Chris! I was just expecting Phido's pencil test eye placed over the new door, but you actually finished the eye! I am very impressed.

Personally, I am not too sure about an HD version of Raggedy Ann. Focus should probably be on the Mark IV right now. Also, to be honest, RA is not a very good film. I've tried to watch parts of it, and it's a very annoying sing-a-long mess.

But to end on a positive note, at least the DVD art Garrett made is awesome. :slap:
segagamer99

Postby TheTimeWanderer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:32 pm

Personally, except for massive fans of animation (I'd buy a Blu-ray of it) I don't think there would be any interest in an HD restoration of Raggedy Ann & Andy. While I have a soft spot for it, and love the songs and most of the animation, it's a terrible movie. The only way I can think of to measure if anyone would actually be interested in buying the movie would be to hold a Kickstarter for it, offering pre-orders as a reward, but of course you'd have to already have the license for that.

In fact, the best thing about the Widescreen DVD, aside from being very well designed, (Still available here: http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/4149320/Raggedy_Ann__amp__Andy_%281977%29_The_Little_Island_%281958%29_Widescreen_-_) was being able to finally get to see The Little Island.
TheTimeWanderer

Postby ChrisWTF » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:29 pm

TheTimeWanderer wrote:Personally, except for massive fans of animation (I'd buy a Blu-ray of it) I don't think there would be any interest in an HD restoration of Raggedy Ann & Andy. While I have a soft spot for it, and love the songs and most of the animation, it's a terrible movie. The only way I can think of to measure if anyone would actually be interested in buying the movie would be to hold a Kickstarter for it, offering pre-orders as a reward, but of course you'd have to already have the license for that.

In the same boat. While I like the movie in a "lost film" kind of way, I can't imagine anyone but the most die-hard animation enthusiasts or cult movie fanatics would have the patience for it. If we ever do get our hands on licensing rights for... any of this stuff we're restoring, it would be worth releasing, but only alongside Dick's other works.

Great job on the door Chris! I was just expecting Phido's pencil test eye placed over the new door, but you actually finished the eye! I am very impressed.

Thanks! Just to be clear, I only made the door. Garrett was the one who recreated Phido's eye.
ChrisWTF

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room