The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

Postby TheTimeWanderer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:01 pm

Finally got all the Simon Moddocks pencil tests and whatnot in the mail today. Going to go through them all in a little bit. Anything under 200 MB I'll throw up on mediafire, and everything else I'll get up in a torrent for everyone. The HD footage is simply fantastic, I hope to see more in the future.
TheTimeWanderer

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:29 am

I'm editing the HD version of The Thief getting beat up tonight (having already done the Photoshop work for it).

There is still a minor gamma difference between my Photoshopped frames and what Final Cut Pro shows. The blacks are noticeably darker and very saturated reds become orange. Hm.

Exporting directly from Final Cut Pro as an image sequence fixes the problem, although this is a much less convenient workflow. I'll have to see about all this, and fix my already-finished frames.

A simple color replacing action in Photoshop gets the reds into a much more acceptable range, although it damages the pinks (the difference is invisible in Photoshop itself unless the image colors are inverted).
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Emulgator » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:58 pm

Hm, after going through project settings of 2 NLE's and seeing the different colourspace interpretations and assumptions of these NLE's across the various input resolutions, project resolutions and video codecs vs. stills I came to the conclusion that matching of Oliver Judd's restored splice frames indeed should be done on Garrett's side of the edit where he needs them. I will gladly and patiently wait for the outcome.
Emulgator

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Sorry to hear that. I've had problems matching the exact HD colorspace myself, but I seem to have figured it out now.

I'll have to specifically send Oliver (or anyone else wanting to help) PNGs now instead of footage.

The first scenes of The Thief in the film are basically finished in HD now. I may release those soon.

I'm still developing a workflow for the KA HD material, and I'll have to fix some of what I've already done. I really need to do some more editing - get the sound in there, edit in the unrestored HD material and finish the SD stuff including the last of the "beauty pass" and all the workprint splice frames.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby ChrisWTF » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:57 am

I have no issue helping Oliver out with the workload once I'm done with the eye poke if you want to send some of those pngs my way. Sponging out dirt and cleaning up splice frames takes a negligible amount of effort compared to the other stuff I'm doing.
ChrisWTF

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:07 am

Nah, work on what you're working on.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:02 am

http://www.mediafire.com/?rdcgspex6m1snrg

Here's a new shot for the Thief Mark 4. The background was recreated and repainted in closeup by Chris Fern, based on what's in the film itself. Chris is a talented artist and painter in his own right, with a dark and gritty style, and is available for commissions. (I hear he could really use the money this month.)

http://chriswtfern.deviantart.com/

More info on the shot here:
http://chriswtfern.blogspot.com/2013/01 ... -door.html
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Oliver Judd » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Excellent work, Chris!
Oliver Judd

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room