The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:49 am

purplemeanie asked:

I just saw the Moment in Time workprint yesterday and there were so many people there! The audience laughed hysterically at the Thief and applauded when he took the end credits. But I could feel the interest getting sucked out whenever Tack and Yumyum were on screen because tbh they are the weakest part of the movie.

A Moment In Time contains relatively little footage of Tack and Yumyum, especially past a certain point where it’s all storyboards. The Thief is funny and delightful because of how he was animated, and all existing footage of Tack and Yumyum has lots of charm. We are deprived of knowing exactly how good these characters would have been had their scenes been finished. The Calvert animation in The Recobbled Cut is only a shadow of what you would have seen.

zxtheproto

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:16 am

Out of curiosity, what do you still have in terms of HD materials? I'm starting work on a set I call the Richard Williams Master Collection, and am trying to find the highest-quality elements possible for it.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:43 am

What are your plans for this set?

zxtheproto

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:12 pm

Basically, what I'm trying to do is to put together a set of his films restored as best as possible in 1080p, in both Blu-ray spec ISO files and x264 MKV. This would be done with high-quality animation upscalers, as well as original HD scans wherever possible.

The idea would be something like 5 or 6 discs worth of content, with one disc simply dedicated to his short films. I'm working on The Little Island at the moment, and going forward from there.

zxtheproto

Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:42 pm

Some sample images:

Full resolution: https://imgur.com/a/2f88ptY

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:47 am

What sources of mine do you currently have, in what formats, and where did you get them?

We didn't do much in HD - that included about 30 minutes of the Recobbled Cut's film sources. Recobbled was otherwise SD.

I gave out thousands of DVDs at the time but don't have many of them with me now, here. It all went into storage and I don't own a car these days.

I do have Some Of It.

Laukku

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:01 am

Andreas Deja's blog post on Willams: http://andreasdeja.blogspot.com/2019/08 ... liams.html

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:39 am

I've uploaded a number of GIF animations to Giphy, including stuff from The Thief and the Cobbler. I believe social media like Facebook and Twitter pulls from Giphy, so hopefully these will start turning up in search. Tumblr now doesn't allow you to save GIFs as GIFs (they become Webp instead), so I had to search old backups to find these.

https://giphy.com/channel/tygerbug