The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

Postby adventuremaster18 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:18 pm

Here's an interesting find. Apparently an Australian vhs of the swan princess contains a trailer for the Calvert version of the thief and the cobbler: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CjuMeDj411k

Btw, i recently saw these youtubers creating their own version of the thief and the cobbler entitled the golden edition which contains footage from the recobbled cut and has renanimated/colorized version of the pencil tests. The animation doesn't look amazing, but it's kinda interesting. You could check it out if you want, i prefer the recobbled cut, but it is interesting: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCzAGaziCfKekFF-KQI7hxHA
adventuremaster18

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:47 pm

I've seen that Australian trailer for "Princess" before but always taped off the screen, instead of shared by people who know what they're doing. Shame.

As for that other effort, it really bothers me when young fans do stuff like that, that couldn't possibly work. I wish they'd leave restoration and especially animation to the professionals and not waste their time. It also clogs up any searches for The Thief and the Cobbler with this nonsense.

But it does serve as an example for anyone who asks, "why can't we color in the pencil tests?" Because it would look bad unless done from the original pencil art on a multimillion dollar budget, that's why.

Fred Calvert colored in the original pencil sketches on a feature budget and it still looked bad. It's got to be done right, and certainly not by amateurs or anyone working from an old VHS bootleg.

There are also people who just repost the clips, often in lower quality with their own random changes - some of whom I asked to stop ten years ago and they're still doing it. Yep.

I'm not gonna sit through this, but clicking on Youtube also led me to someone's review of the film. It's a mixed review and not particularly positive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irJKkkkyHtc
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:48 am

I was thinking about that one of these days, in fact, months ago I even put together a frame for the hell of it, the result was wonky and the end result if I had animated the other frames would probaly be horribly wobbly, you can't even trace what's supposed to be the lines because while in movement it's all fine and good, stopping and zooming in the lines turn into a blurred mess.

http://imgur.com/a/XrYOp

Something that's also not obvious for those people is that The Thief was shot with elaborate lighting effects in 35mm film with special Widescreen lenses, something a teenager with a copy of Photoshop just can't replicate, hell, it'd be expensive and complicated for a current-day studio to even try to do it, let alone traditionally.

As for making tweaks and changes to the Reccobled Cut, that's also wasting your time, one because the Reccobled Cut as it is it's only meant for viewing purposes, two the bitrate is too low to do any considerable work in it, not to mention the Moment in Time version of the film exists now and it might eventually get a Release, hopefully a restoration using material from other 35mm sources, which makes updating the Mark IV pointless due to the existence of better quality material yet to be released, if anything it'll just make a mess out of things because people are throwing their version of the film around and it only confuses whoever wants to just watch the film, as if the official multiple versions thing wasn't already confusing.

I also feel like this should be a big statement, a video titled ''Why The Thief will never be finished*'' with the asterisk standing for ''Through amateur means'', it might put people down but honestly, there needs to be some open statement to control the situation or else it becomes the next ''Pooh's Adventures of:'' :thief:
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:06 am

Nice work on that one frame, Dennis. It's not up to Richard's standards though, and of course in motion it would be very wobbly. It just can't be done, and certainly not on an amateur level. With access to the original pencil art, and a professional team, sure. Without that, no. Not from a VHS bootleg!
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:25 am

Mark Owen writes:

I managed to capture the audio of Friday's screening from the audience. I figured you'd appreciate it, as both a comparison to the familiar VHS workprint and as a record of that screening and the audience's reactions. I wasn't about to break out my phone and start filming, so I figured this would suffice.
http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/9B1o0tFY/file.html

In short, I'd say Dick's 35mm Workprint is overall very similar to the VHS Workprint, save for a few exclusive shots, audio differences, and other small variations (Garrett went into it way more in depth). My favorite aspect of it was the quality, being able to watch it without the quality transitioning from 35mm to VHS. I almost want to go again, because I don't know if I'll ever be able to see this version again! Hopefully, it'll see release one day (completed or as is), but I definitely recommend checking out this version while it's being screened if you can.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby adventuremaster18 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:08 pm

I'm uploading some of my thief collection to google drive. Here's what ive uploaded so far.

Original Workprint: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwQ1H6 ... p=drivesdk

Cut Down Workprint: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwQ1H6 ... p=drivesdk
adventuremaster18

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:39 am

I'm told that someone's been uploading versions of the film to a spleen site as well. The Recobbled Cut is not included. Not sure how I feel about that.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby adventuremaster18 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:48 pm

...That was actually me. Ill delete it if you want.
adventuremaster18

Postby adventuremaster18 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:52 pm

The reason i didnt include it was that it was already avaliable on myspleen and i heard we couldn't reupload stuff, so I just said official versions, i plan to reword it.

Also at the time I didnt know the workprint was already uploaded. Again, sorry for anything wrong things.
adventuremaster18

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:30 pm

Oh, okay. I just don't want people to get the wrong idea that these are more "valid" than the Recobbled Cut Mk4. If people are new to the film, they should be pointed to the Recobbled Cut Mk4 as quickly as possible rather than poke through stuff like Arabian Knight or the Calvert WIP. I called that "Ruining The Thief" on Youtube so that people wouldn't think it was a legit version of the film. Same with how I didn't originally release the Keramidas cut except as clips. Or how I marked the classic Richard Williams workprint as "Unfinished" on Youtube.

Maybe you could post a shout-out to Recobbled at least, and to where to get it (this board!) ...
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room