The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:51 am

I could fix the link to the subtitles. Will have to remember to do that.

Good find on the Umatic Reel. I'd say that's a good guess, due to the swirling smoke. Hard to be sure.

Your video was unblocked for me. I watched some of it. It was interesting to look at the Calvert WIP stuff, as I always forget what's in that version. The Recobbled Cut came from a lot more sources than that, such as 35mm reels, pencil test reels and Arabian Knight. The "canon" versions of each shot, to me, are the ones in the Recobbled Cut (though those have sometimes been altered in some way). But the timing is worth knowing, based on the workprint VHS. I guess you could copy paste that into the description. Here we see everything in VHS quality when the Recobbled Cut often manages better than that. There's no real need to use the "Princess" VHS rather than "Arabian Knight" either. Your text also covers up the video when you could have put it over the black bars (as I did in "Deleted Magic").

This sort of analysis could be interesting if it turns up something I might have missed. Although I think we've pretty well picked over this film by now - apart from the Moment In Time version and other stuff nobody has. The color and pencil test reels would be worth looking at for stuff like that.

I would suggest uploading it to mediafire for download, in case it gets blocked etc.

I'm not really interested in comparing the Recobbled Cuts. The project was always a work in progress and I'd rather people not watch the older versions at all, now. Much more work was put into the Mk4. There were lots of versions of the Recobbled Cut which were never given a number and official release as I worked on them, so that's on my mind as well. My first tests were actually done on VHS in 1999 and 2000 - what a mess! And the first Recobbled Cut from 2006 is something even I don't have in full anymore. So there's that.

There is a fair amount of footage reused in the first Recobbled Cuts. They were built off of one another and gradually revised from the same basic edit.

None of that footage was reused for the Mk4, which was an entirely new production. I'm trying to remember, as maybe there's a shot or two reused from the Mk3, but that would be it. I started from scratch with everything and really tried to do it right.

It might look and feel the same since it's the same basic film, but it's not. Every source was processed in some way before I even started. Upscaled, for a start.

So it'd be a false comparison, as I really started from scratch. I don't see the point either, though obviously I'm too close to the project. The Mk3 was a major release for me at the time, sure, and I know people still watch it for the commentary and stuff.

What I WAS going to do was extensive videos about the making of the Mk4 Recobbled Cut. My hard drive is still full of material for that purpose. I never had time to really do that, and I doubt I ever will. I recall recording lengthy commentary for that purpose, and also trying to dig up the first Recobbled Cut version from 2006 -- the disc was damaged and I only was able to salvage part of it. It was fun to me to jump from the low quality material used in that test copy to what we have now, as well as show the frame by frame restoration done on many shots and scenes. It's a shame I don't have you guys to do that work for me and put this together, as it would be interesting and show off the work better. But it's pretty much something I could only do myself I guess? There are a lot of things I need help with, a lot of projects I'm working on and behind on.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:30 am

I put the text over the scenes because at the time I was trying to be safe on the whole ''stealing'' thing, also because I was editing it in 2:35:1 and rendered it at 16:9. I was aware that I could be using higher quality versions of the film, I just chose not to because it would look inconsistent and would be more work than simply separating the scenes around in the first place, also I thought it would make more sense to present the Calvert scenes as they appeared in the Calvert version of the film in full rather than going back and forth between Arabian Knight and the Princess VHS.

I don't know if would be useful to you as I left the Keramidas version out due to not owning it at the time, and I feel like that version might have some stuff that's overlooked, either way I don't know if people would want to download it as it was already made from Vimeo/Youtube rips of what was already out there, minus the Reccobled Cut which I already had sitting.

I did however thought about doing an ''uncut'' version the Williams footage, this time including the extended KA Reels stuff as well as various other shots from the Color Tests/Reccobled Cut, I don't know about you but it might just round up to 80 minutes of footage.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:03 pm

Keramidas Cut certainly has some stuff that would be overlooked otherwise in a presentation like this. The low quality of some of these sources is another matter -- Calvert WIP, Keramidas Cut.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby adventuremaster18 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:40 pm

Oh, i see. I actually would help edit the behind the scenes thing, but my editing software is windows live movie maker, so I'd probably never do the behind the scenes video justice. Though, i might get a better editing program in the future, i can't afford it right now. But I'd love to see a behind the scenes video possibly in the future, it would probably be super interesting, especially from what I've read on this site. Btw, i believe i have the keramidas cut somewhere on one of my computer somewhere.
adventuremaster18

Postby filmfan94 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:20 pm

Okay, I've gotten a chance to watch the whole video now that it's been unblocked (except for the bits that are 100% Calvert which I simply could not stand). It's a very well-made video, Dennis. I will note that there were a few bits from the Keramidas cut that weren't noted (though I can't really blame you since you mentioned you don't have the Keramidas cut). Per my notes from when it was still on YouTube:

Completed version of the Thief slinking away (with both backscratchers) (Garrett reconstructed this bit of footage for Mark 4)

Pencil test of final version of Phido's tail being burnt.

Very clean pencil test of Tack picking the lock on his chains.

Pencil test of Yum Yum embracing Nod.

Pencil tests of the three long shots of the brigands in front of the approaching War Machine.

Alternate pencil test of Zigzag on his horse after the tack is fired with background.
filmfan94

Postby Dennis196492 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:05 pm

Youtube really is a fucking amazing piece of modern creation, right after they unblock the video it was removed from Youtube despite already being ok with me saying ''For Educational purposes''

With the video blown to smithereens I now have the excuse to go back and add-in the Keramidas stuff, as well as try and figure out how to bypass the copyright claims, if it's even possible.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:00 am

I expect if I couldn't get The Thief on Youtube, you wouldn't be able to either ... upload it to Mediafire or Mega or something ...
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby rodolphedux » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:24 am

Hello,

We're a French non profit organization and we want to organize a screening of "the thief and the cobbler" and probably distribute it in France. After some searching around the net, I'm not sure who we must contact to deal with the rights. Anyone knows who owns the rights for the recobbled version or any other decent (I mean not the Arabian night or Princess version) version ? Does a DCP exists for the movie ? Any 4k or 8k version available ?

Thanks for your help !

Rodolphe.
rodolphedux

Postby Dennis196492 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:32 am

I still think this is not the type of video people should have to download in order to watch it, either way I'll put together a trailer of sorts and put it on Youtube.

https://mega.nz/#!WBd3EKZC!fHTFT7GBQjag ... fBUGGfHvTY
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:27 am

Thanks Dennis.

Hi Rodolphe. The Recobbled Cut was done without any legal rights. We've had people screen it at film festivals across the world, but they do that without legal rights. They probably shouldn't charge admission etc. There is no 4k or 8k version. It was created as HD, and 2/3rds of it is upscaled SD.

You're very welcome to screen it, considering the risks.

Recently, the director Richard Williams has screened his own workprint of the film as "A Moment In Time." You might want to try asking him about that version.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room