The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

Postby filmfan94 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:58 pm

That was the impression I got skimming through that video (those credits are atrocious, no question). Despite what the comments say (don't even get me started on the grammar), I personally didn't think the Scheherazade excerpt fit the post-prologue scene at all. I'll be the first to say I'm not a fan of the Folk score, but it still works better than the Scheherezade excerpt (though I have occassionally done some rough experimentation syncing the scene to an excerpt from Prokofiev's The Stone Flower ballet). I can only imagine how Garrett is going to react.
filmfan94

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Good lord.

I spent years of my life editing and recreating the Recobbled Cut, frame by frame by frame. It took eight years to get it to the point it's at in the Mark 4.

Then these kids just want to steal it and take credit for it.

Must be nice for them. Takes minutes of work rather than years.

I would say this:

This is my work being stolen here. Eight years of work that does not belong to you. Reposting my work does not make you a filmmaker.

Playtime is over. Take it down.

Here's another example -- my old trailer being stolen by some other kid, whose "work" is related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhhjAnGoy8Y

Oh, and that Josh366lol2 is still at it, reposting everything. Ugh.

I can't even post the Recobbled Cut myself on any site without content takedowns, but there are all these stolen imitated versions everywhere now.

And I get letters like this:

Dear, Garrett Gilchrist

Please Reupload All Your Videos on Vimeo. Please. You're really being a jerk!

Best, Logan Koonce

Hooray.

These "new editions" that these kids think they've made really bother me, because they think they've created something new that they can take credit for and feel ownership of. That they might even spend time on this. There's no understanding or acknowledgement of how much work it actually took to create the Recobbled Cut -- eight years of work on my part that they're just plunking new titles over.

These are all people I've warned before. Now they've done tons of videos and it may be too late to stop the tide. So many reposts.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:58 pm

Tordy Clark comments:
I worked with the Williams team, on Roger Rabbit. These videos are shot in Willams Soho Square ( I think it was) offices. Soon after they all moved to Camden to start Roger Rabbit ( I joined them there). Each day after watching RR rushes, we'd watch The Thieif rushes- the 20 minutes of completed film at that time. He'd been working on it 20 years. Each cell hand drawn, the detail outstanding. I have never seen anything so unbelievable since then. Nor will I ever. I've seen equally detailed CGI and it looks shitty in comparison. There is nothing as good as hand drawn. Each cell must have taken seven hours to ink and paint. The details were outstanding.

At the rime of making WFRR ( Roger Rabbit), there was always talk of what he'd do with the Thief. Continue making it?
As it was, Disney, those horrible horrible plasticky people, bought the idea and turned it into The Theif and the Cobbler. Which is a horrible cheap version of what they saw in the THeif rushed that Williams had spent years making. I hate Disney for their monopoly and money, which creates mass produced awful films full of cheap storylines and terrible tacky animation.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby filmfan94 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:44 pm

Well, it looks as though we can rest a little easier now. Both the video and the accompanying channel seem to have been taken down.
filmfan94

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:53 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTt-kfPvRks

I never know what to do about this sort of thing. These kids are pretty clearly crossing a line of plagiarism, but it's very possible they don't actually know the difference. I've noticed that people who do this never actually stop though.

This "project" is very clearly going too far -- trying to animate new scenes in a way that's, well, childish.

http://archiplexstudio.deviantart.com/j ... -630540316

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JJxOZPxkRs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEMj9WroCN0

The Recobbled Cut lives on the internet as an unofficial release. These copycat releases and low quality reuploads can really do some damage to the film's reputation.

"The Thief and the Cobbler: Golden Edition" has been cancelled due to complaints about the new animation, as well as Garret Gilchrist saying that his 8 years of work had been stolen! Feeling sorry for the poor guy, I have officially surrendered.

Other than that, I do have a couple ideas on my mind, including an animated short based on the original Super Mario Bros., and a couple original projects which I'll get to later.

http://airvecentertainment.deviantart.c ... -645874260

http://airvecentertainment.deviantart.c ... -624167462

Joshlol:
"Where did you find that information? The Princess and the Cobbler being released in only 10 theaters."

AIRVC:
"Just popped up in my head."
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:11 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:11 pm

It's unfortunate that this keeps happening, but I'll say it's not exclusive to The Thief, the same degree of amateurism is present in the case of other animated films, the Lost Media page for The Land Before Time has these videos taped directly off a CRT spliced in low quality Youtube rips as ''Restorations'', if you want a brief example.

I also wonder if the issue of quality can be solved, these people obviously take low quality Youtube rips and render them at much lower quality, when I do my stuff I'm always concerned if it doesn't look better it has to at least look on par, or better than most low-quality rips out there.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:27 am

Lot of young and neurodivergent people out there, obsessing over cartoons. I'd assume they're all kids but in some cases it's been the same people for ten years now.

Fair play, one of them did do a series of videos analyzing the audio of a theater bootleg of the Moment In Time version. Possibly of interest for completionists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnfpFe9Ov24

But there are hundreds of these videos and it really cheapens the whole project very badly, especially when I can't post the real thing on Youtube, Vimeo, etc without content ID issues. I worked hard to do it in a classy and respectful way and these copycat videos are just ugh.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby DaveHolmes » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:05 pm

DaveHolmes

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Ugh. That sort of thing should be illegal. Oh wait, it is.

I don't want this thread to be me griping about dumb internet people though. :)

Especially when there is good news lately about the materials from the film being archived.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room