The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:56 pm

Yep. AMPAS and MoMA Present: Richard Williams’s The Thief and the Cobbler: A Moment in Time
September 22–27, 2016

I'm on the west coast so won't be there, but everyone else should go!

I wrote about this version of the film in December 2013. It's slightly different from the familiar workprint, as it was assembled a little later in the production. There are some missing bits and damage but it also includes unique footage not seen elsewhere - although some of the rarest shots I was able to find for the Recobbled Mk4 in some form.

At previous screenings Dick expressed skepticism about the Recobbled Cut (which he apparently hasn't seen). Don't bother him and try to be positive.

The film needs a full restoration in the "style of" the Recobbled.

I've added some new photos here:
http://sta.sh/2ob9gqj4qz9

I have the Zigzag flag cel and may try to scan it properly.

AdventureMaster, you can write me at gilchristgarrett at gmail about the Whosprites material. I'm reluctant to just hand the stuff out like I used to but you could do a test.

Dennis196492

Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:01 am

I wonder if we can get any info on a potential release of the Moment in Time version, I don't know, maybe someone reading this might ask in the Q&A

On another note, I just remembered my ''Thief Statistics'' video I made a while ago, while it's not wholly accurate due to how confusing the period between when the film was abandoned by Warner Bros. and when Fred Calvert made his Workprint was, nor does it include the extended KA reels stuff, but I thought it was interesting to see how Yum Yum and Tack just drop out of the film as far as finished Williams footage goes, the Dying Soldier is the only character that remained unscathed from sub-par animation (although Calvert still tainted his scenes by removing the spike/Lightining effects) and that the last character we see in finished form is King Nod looking over the destruction of the War Machine, giving us just a little taste of what could've been if Williams had animated what went on outside the War Machine.

While looking through the Calvert WIP's Storyboards I also noticed that in many instances the storyboards themselves were tinkered with, like drawing in a stick in King Nod's hand while he instructs Yum Yum about The Witch. There's also towards the ending the storyboard for the shot where we see Tack and Yum Yum's private villa of sorts, which never sat right with me because of how unenthusiastic and boring the shot looked, but that's just my opinion, either way I hope to upload the 2-and-a-half-hour video soon.

Dennis196492

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:30 pm

It's out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toal4TKMxLk

I didn't think Youtube would let me upload long videos again, but apparently it's working, hopefully it stays that way.

filmfan94

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:22 pm

Unfortunately, Miramax blocked your video here in the U. S. before I could watch the whole thing, Dennis (this copyright stuff is really starting to get on my nerves). However, from the brief look I was able to get, it was a nicely done and comprehensive look at the footage in its various stages.

Dennis196492

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:10 pm

You can change your country on the bottom of Youtube's Main Page so you can still see videos that are blocked in certain countries, for some reason I couldn't find the option to change mine to US to see if it's really blocked.

Even then that's a shame, as well as confusing because I didn't use any Miramax sources, and the fact that I didn't use Arabian Knight at all in the video

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:30 pm

Try uploading it somewhere like mediafire as well.

adventuremaster18

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:49 pm

Hey Garrett, I'm curious, have you ever planned on doing a recobbled cut comparison? By that, I mean comparing every version of the recobbled cut, as I always thought it would be interesting to see. I recently got a copy of the mark 3 and plan on a possible comparison, if it's alright with you.

Secondly, what bugs me is that I saw you added an English sub link, but it's the wrong link, that was still a wip version of the sub, this is the final version: http://www.mediafire.com/?cdpunn2ocgwp747

I'm just curious if you could fix that because it kinda bugs me, though, you don't have to if you don't want too.

Dennis196492

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:16 pm

Try uploading it somewhere like mediafire as well.
I forget, is it mediafire or 4shared that has a video player?

Either way God damn it, can't upload anything on Youtube without being blocked at random, maybe I should re-edit the video to remove the music, I didn't even care much about the audio so I might as well get rid of the more ''problematic'' material and do it again.

Dennis196492

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:14 am

I uploaded the Umatic Reel I had sitting on my computer for a while, for a couple of reasons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48d5_UBDmiw

One is of an Interesting find, at 3:53 of the UmaticReel (which I don't think many people have), there is a pencil test of Zig Zag faintly seen in front of a dust cloud doing similar, but not identical gestures from his ''Fat Fat Fat'' scene, which leads me to believe that it's a pencil test for the scrapped ''Dragon'' scene from the end of the film, the other reason being a desperate attempt to salvage the ThiefStatistics video by putting something on the description of the video, at least until I can get confirmation from Youtube that they'll unblock the video (spoiler alert: they'll probaly won't)