The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.
Dennis196492

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

Sat May 07, 2016 12:12 am

You think that if an official restoration they will include some of the Calvert footage? Even with the better looking Premier Films stuff you still have things like the ending being slightly different than the one in the workprint, I also noticed that there is an extended pencil test of The Thief appearing in the end of the film acting very much like the script called for by popping his head in and noticing the golden letters rather than just walking in like the Calvert ending

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Sat May 07, 2016 1:11 am

I have no comment on unlikely hypotheticals.

athousandsapphires asks:
So apparently, ZigZag was based off of Omar & Idries Shah – two brothers who were very influential in expanding Sufism (and who are actually really famous?). And I’m not exactly sure as to how they got involved with Richard Williams, but they somehow ended up ruining some aspect to his early scripting for a film he was working on, according to Williams, that is. But anyways, these are the two “creeps” that Williams says that he based ZigZag on…

Also, interestingly enough to note, Omar and Idries eventually split in different routes with their beliefs; however, it’s interesting that Idries focused his studies on witchcraft and magic…which gives sight into how ZigZag’s characterization as a sorcerer comes into play…
The Thief, as a film, was originally "The Majestic Fool," about the Nasrudin character. Idries Shah adapted and translated stories of Nasrudin in English which Williams illustrated. He thought the character would make a good film and started to animate it, as seen in two documentaries. Eventually Idries Shah insisted on 50 percent of the profits, and Omar Shah was using the film's funds for his own purposes. Williams took scenes, characters and ideas from the film and had The Thief film written around them. The Majestic Fool script is not great but it had a lot of ideas in it, the best of which were used and expanded on for The Thief. Williams asked a lot of different writers for ideas but the film as we know it was written by his then wife, Margaret French. The first finished script we have for it dates to 1980 or so and is titled "The Thief Who Never Gave Up."

Hardback247

Wed May 11, 2016 11:02 am

If there's one thing I would have fixed, it's getting rid of Sean Connery's credit as Tack, because he didn't actually do the line.

SmarTeeMackxs

Wed May 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Yeah, that's bugged me too. I also want the names changed because the actors were replaced many times over. (e.g.: Hilary Pritchard -> Sara Crowe, Paul Matthews -> Christopher Greener, Miriam Margolyes -> Margaret French.)

Dennis196492

Wed May 11, 2016 11:27 pm

Personally I wouldn't go back and re-render the entire thing just to change a couple of credits especially if we didn't knew who the actual VAs were until Dick confirmed it in the Moment in Time screening of the Workprint, also it would require not just re-render but also re-upload the film to Vimeo, torrent, MEGA, Youtube, what have you, all that for a couple of credits It's an unnecessary hassle. Better leave it for the future.

adventuremaster18

Fri May 13, 2016 5:44 pm

Hello again. I finally got the documentary uploaded, i don't know if I've already said that. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BD89TIG_64o
Btw, just saying, this is the final version of the English subtitle for the thief and the cobbler mark 4: http://www.mediafire.com/?cdpunn2ocgwp747
It contains added in dialouge not present in the last version, but also proof read by garret.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Fri May 13, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks again for that!

Unrelated -- We're also going to be looking for people to translate the 1967 anime "Golden Bat" from Japanese or Italian.

An unauthorized copy of Richard Williams' "Prologue," but enjoy while it's up. All the 2015 Oscar-nominated shorts can also be purchased from ITunes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5tMc_IiCO0

Of course it's gorgeous in a style only Dick Williams can deliver, and everyone should see it.

adventuremaster18

Sat May 14, 2016 10:29 am

...I'm honestly speechless. I mean how did he do it? I mean, i know richard was an amazing animator, but this? How, this rivals most 3d animation in realism! It even gave me chills, i don't even know the story, but animating is so beautiful and so realistic, that richard nasty be the best animator of all time. And with just pencil drawings, that's saying alot. If love to see him continue this story. Who knows, he may pass the torch. Like how I believe art babbit taught him to master animation, all i can say is, just breathtaking!

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Sat May 14, 2016 1:15 pm

The master at work. What I said about it awhile back was, he animates like Michelangelo sculpted.

Uli Meyer points out: The old woman at the end is based on a famous self portrait of Käthe Kollwitz, as well as another drawing of her and a child.

Hardback247

Wed May 18, 2016 2:04 pm

I'm sorry to point this out, but in the shot starting at 41:22 in the Recobbled Cut, when the soldier rides into the throne room on his horse and gets off, the spear of the flag that is supposed to go through his chest is not there, but it is there in subsequent shots!