Movie Thread: The Dissection Room

A forum for creative people.

Re: Movie Thread: The Dissection Room

Postby JustinHoskie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:17 am

After over a month of it being out, I finally bought Camp Takota, and it was like what I expected. While it wasn't a perfect movie, it was pretty enjoyable.

If I like someone and they release something, and they aren't a huge name or I don't think alot of people will buy it, I now flat-out refuse to pirate it. I bought Stephen Lynch's Lion, the deluxe version of Lee DeWyze's Frames (Spoiler alert! It's awesome.), and Seth MacFarlane's Music is Better Than Words as soon as I could, and even when I couldn't afford it. I even pre-ordered All the Wrong Questions #1: Who Could That Be at This Hour?, knowing nothing about it and based on my love of A Series of Unfortunate Events. (I'm still trying to figure out if that was a good decision.) Because I love Hannah Hart, Grace Helbig, and Mamrie Hart, and even before Gracists, Hartosexuals, and Mamire fans put together their anti-piracy squad, I decided to actually pay for it. And, all in all, it was a good choice.

Overall, the writing was pretty good. There were some things they did do that's been done a million times before (The main character's life goes to shit? Okay, her fiance cheats on her and she gets fired!) but they handled both in a way that I didn't see coming. (SPOILER: Example, Elise doesn't find out her fiance Jeff cheats on her because he acts weird and the other woman walks in or makes a noise, like I was expecting, but because she realizes Jeff had two glasses of water when she came home.) There were a few things that were too on the nose for me -- like Hannah Hart playing a wannabe chief -- but, for the first movie from pretty much everyone involved, I have no real problem with it.

Acting wise, I was shocked at how good everyone was. I knew that Grace and Mamrie both have had some minor acting experience, so I knew they could handle the comedy, but I wasn't sure if they could handle the emotional stuff, and was pleasantly surprised when I saw how well they could. Hannah I wasn't so sure about. She has virtually no acting experience (just a couple of minor things) -- and infamously turned to the directors and said "Okay, that's the whole scene" after her first take -- so I was worried her performance would be reminiscent of Carrie Underwood in The Sound of Music Live. Thankfully, she was up to par with Grace and Mamrie (though she has has no deeply emotional scenes). The only real weak link is Kate Goldman, the real little girl who plays Penny Fefferman. But she's sweet and adorable, so it's impossible not to love her. (And I believe I once recently defined what a douchebag looks like as "Sawyer Hartman," so his cameo is perfect.)

Something I'm wondering about though is why Nick Riedell's (one half of directing team The Brothers Riedell) supporting role in the film was downplayed. He has a somewhat major part, but he isn't mentioned as an actor in the opening credits or promotional materials that I've seen, there's only a split second glimpse of him in the trailer, and he doesn't appear in costume during any of the behind-the-scenes material (only a brief, split second shot of him in the documentary, where his head is obscured) or in any of the Daily Grace videos.

The film's weakest point is in it's editing. For starters, and this is personal preference, almost every scene transition is a fade in / fade out and it made the film feel very segmented to me. I can overlook it, because The Brothers Riedell and the Holy Trinity all come from web-videos, but I found it a bit distracting. Secondly, during most of the over the shoulder shots, when the person facing away from the camera is speaking, it's painfully obvious how out of sync the audio is. This happens with most films at some point, but it's 100% apparent here, as well with minor continuity errors galore! Since the film was shot in 18 days, and it was the first film for the directors and main actors, again, I overlooked it, but it's there.

The main problem for me is the Visitor's Day performance. If you're casually watching it, you won't notice, but if you pay attention, you'll see cuts between different takes, in the middle of shots, in both the video and audio. It would've been better if they used shots of the audience to break up cuts between the takes, and used the audio from the best take for the entire scene. Again, the film was shot in 18 days, so it's possible they didn't have enough coverage when they edited the scene, so I'm not too upset with this, but it's something you have to overlook.

I bought the 15$ version, which includes a behind-the-scenes documentary (Top Bunk: The Making of Camp Takota), some bloopers (which include Hannah's "the scene's over" incident, but is a bit lacking), an extended scene, and the two official trailers (I wished they included the DailyGrace and MyHarto trailer edits). Top Bunk is split up into 14 segments, ranging between 1 to 7.5 minutes each, with the trailer, bloopers, and extended scene featurettes feeling like cut segments from the main documentary. Each segment has an intro and outro with the trio, talking about the experience of making the movie, commenting on the segment, and just generally joking around. My suggestion is don't buy these extras if you aren't a already fan of the trio, since they can be a bit tangential and rambley, and can come off as a tad annoying and off-putting if you aren't used to them. (I know before I started watching DailyGrace, I found Grace infinitely annoying whenever she popped up on AOTS.)

TL;DR? Camp Takota is by no means the best movie ever made, but for a movie that was announced, written, filmed, and released all within six months, it's pretty damn good, though the behind-the-scenes content could be a bit better and can feel a bit annoying to people who aren't major fans to the Holy Trinity.
JustinHoskie

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:08 am

I see these people's pictures online but have never watched their videos.

As for Nick Riedell - does it look like he was there for the shooting of major scenes, and was around for a good chunk of the shoot? Because someone can have a major part in a film as edited, but their whole part could have been shot very quickly, in a day or two, without most of the other actors present.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby JustinHoskie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:14 pm

Garrett Gilchrist wrote:As for Nick Riedell - does it look like he was there for the shooting of major scenes, and was around for a good chunk of the shoot? Because someone can have a major part in a film as edited, but their whole part could have been shot very quickly, in a day or two, without most of the other actors present.

He was one of the directors, so he was there the whole shoot, though Grace did say in a DailyGrace video that there was a day of reshoots, "because we realized we forgot a few things." However, I doubt that was for Nick's scenes, since he has a part in the climax and she mentioned that the Harts were involved.

Honestly, it's a curiosity that I'm just wondering about. It's possible it was just because he felt the film was the trio's and didn't want to look like he was mooching off of them, or it may have just been meant to be a neat little surprise for the fans a'la Karren Gilliam's cameo in "The Time of The Doctor".
JustinHoskie

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:54 pm

I wonder what Vinnie Rattolle has been posting on Youtube lately:
https://www.youtube.com/user/VinnieRattolle/videos
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:40 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:21 am

It's a little funny that Marvel's Avengers movie was retitled "Avengers Assemble" for the UK, rather than be mistaken for the 60s TV series. Nick Fury, Black Widow and the agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. came from the same 60s culture of James Bondian globe-trotting superspies- think The Saint, Danger Man, The Man from UNCLE ...

Should a fan of John Steed, Emma Peel, Cathy Gale and Tara King really be disappointed to see Nick Fury on his helicarrier with Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow dressed like this?

http://itsjustmovies.com/wp-content/upl ... ansson.jpg

Much better than the 1998 Uma Thurman Avengers movie, anyway.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby SmarTeeMackxs » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:48 am

lol ikr

Raif Fynes shoulda known better.
SmarTeeMackxs

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:50 am

I'm here for my audition, 60s equivalent of Joss Whedon.

http://www.cyberroth.com/wp-content/upl ... a-Peel.jpg

Coincidentally, Marvel's Nick Fury also stumbled in 1998, with a TV movie starring David Hasselhoff (and Lisa Rinna) ....

http://geek-news.mtv.com//wp-content/up ... assel2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdAPc2PC0w0

Doing Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for television? That'll never work!

Wait - I'm getting deja vu here.

Hasselhoff attempted to play the role as Kurt Russell, which just makes you wish they'd paid however much extra and gotten Kurt Russell.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:00 pm

I Think We're Alone Now
http://vimeo.com/16528127
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:28 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin