200 Motels - Dental Hygiene Edit Version 4

A forum for creative people.

Re: 200 Motels - The Dental Hygiene Edit

Postby SirQuacky » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:18 am

http://blip.tv/cord-cutters/turn-your-r ... vr-5202300

Just snagged a Roku 3, works fine for what it's intended to do, x3 It seems I may need to buy an EyeTV as well in order to record any of the footage, xD Ah, more money going to gambles. But so far, only successes, :3

I'll note back the day an EyeTV is added to my 'collection', whenever THAT day may come, x3 Here's hoping it all works out!
SirQuacky

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:28 pm

Well then!

Could you give recording Monster Maker a shot? Whenever you've got the equipment I guess ...
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby SirQuacky » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:05 pm

When I can afford it, I'll look into it. There's a lot of Henson I haven't seen yet, so it should be interesting. I've gotta push commissions to save for these things just like any one of us of here, x3

I'll let you know and any anyone else who reads this topic know when it's arrived right here, :3

EDIT: Just had a look through the listing for Jim, and oddly there's only four of his films available from various streaming services, none of which are Netflix. I seems N is playing more of their delete randomly, post randomly stuff. And people wonder why we want to record certain streams!

The four films listed are sadly nothing that we haven't seen before, Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, The Great Muppet Caper, and Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas of all things, xD

In the case on Monster Maker, I'll just have to wait till Netflix reuploads it. This listing online doesn't even have a play button, :\

EDIT 2: Forgot to include proof, xD http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Monster_Maker/70170301 If something's not available on the Roku, it doesn't show up in any search, including the artist's bio page. But at least netflix.com still retains these pages, and hopefully it'll be back soon enough.
SirQuacky

Postby SirQuacky » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:51 am

Still saving up. And no Monster Maker stream yet, but I'm keeping an eye, :3

Now, onto the three different uploads of 200 Motels I have access to:
Well, I should say two. The Redbox one is in HD, but unfortunately when played on the Roku, every other frame is missing, as if it were running at the horrible 12fps TV animation rate. That's no good at all, exactly the opposite of what I was looking for. So I closed my subscription with them as the help I got was nothing more that "It's old, it's not going to look any better." Like I don't know that. I was talking about the frames!

The Netflix one, in HD too, but there has been some seriously lackadaisical noise reduction done to this encode. Little splobs (which I feel is the right word) of grain jump all over an oddly sharpened and almost watery screen. If the grain had been left intact this would've been perfect, but for now it remains merely useable. The EyeTV device I'm looking for only uses composite cable though, so it might look a bit better on it's way down to SD.

And finally the Amazon Prime/Instant Video encode. Not in HD, and has some serious macro-blocking in fast moving shots. Not great, but could be usable in scenes with not much movement, xD

Anyway, that'a all for now. Still tinkering with the audio, and still saving up, x3
SirQuacky

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:01 am

I wonder if a deblocking tool could do anything about that. That sort of thing has always been a crapshoot!

If it were me I'd attempt an overlay of the various sources. Because yeah.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby SirQuacky » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:44 am

My thoughts exactly. Even though I intend to replicate the video look and all the video sourced sections, it would've been nice to have started off with a little more grain. At least I could do step 2 myself, xD

Onto sources, the Amazon and Netflix ones will do fine. A bit of a pick and mix as Netflix's quality fluctuates like mad (mostly on the really trippy video effect sequences), and Amazon's is consistently SD, yet blocky.

Oh well, they are what they are. And hey, at least it's better than that yellow-soaked faded Laserdisc rip I traded some fan for. There is no way that thing could be a source for anything! But on Youtube it is, xD
SirQuacky

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:46 am

The big worry here will be if the frame rate stays consistent. Otherwise you can't combine sources at all ..... The fact that it's 24p should help a lot.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby SirQuacky » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:43 am

I heard the encodes are 30fps with every fifth(?) frame duplicated. But I can't be sure till the day I can record. Either way, I'll eventually have to have 24fps, or make them 24fps before I go anywhere.

I'll have to go about it in sections after that. song by song, or complete section by complete section. And of course keeping the film bits separate. As long at it flows like some deranged video album in the end, I''ll be happy, x3 This is no film in the story sense, just a series of songs and orchestral scenes with sections of dialogue that doesn't go anywhere thrown right in, xD And a cartoon that needs to be put as the penultimate scene.

But no more thinking ahead for me, the rip/recording is the key. Once that's ready to go I can properly plan, :3
SirQuacky

Postby SirQuacky » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Ooo, just found out about a great old French broadcast, can't believe I missed it on the Zappa videography. From 1971 right after Motels was released, there's some interviews at the end (dubbed over of course) but there are three extracts from Motels included! Open matte and a little faded, if I can clean up a bit of it I'll have as close a representation to what the original release -should- look like.

The excerpts cut inbetween the interviews are "Hello There" - A Quiet Word With Larry / Magic Fingers (without the monologue) / Strictly Genteel (just the middle section, cuts out in the middle of a bar! xD) / "He's Watching Us!" - The Group Discusses The Group (without Volman's first line "You should be careful talking about that stuff." The picture is there but the audio cuts in after his mouth shuts.)

The best part about all this is not just the visual reference if cleaned, but the audio is pretty damn good for what it is, there's filmic treble for one. I'm going to find the source of it and listen carefully to see if it can be used, :D Despite the remastering, there's quite a bit of digital artefacts on the streaming encodes that I would be glad to have another source on, notably Magic Fingers, xD

EDIT: The blueish fade Magic Fingers has is awful close to the horrible print Palmer used, only without scratches, maybe he nicked this copy in the years and didn't store it well, haha.

Oh and, turns out there were a few other foreign broadcasts with clips from the film, Sweden being one. Like a right scavenger hunt this, x3
SirQuacky

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room