Bonzo Dog (Doo Dah) Band: Talking Pictures Redux

A forum for creative people.

About "Single Luck"

Postby BeatleV » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:20 am

"Single Luck" featuring the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band's hitsingle "I'm The Urban Spaceman".

I did some research and found this info:
"Single Luck" was a series of television program about one-hit wonders and tells how the hit song originated, (the other side of) its succes and what the band members are currently doing. The program was produced and aired in the Netherlands only. There is no info if other countries adapted or licensed it. After five series (about 43 episodes) the program was cancelled due to its high cost of production.

Series # 4, episode: # 5
Episode Title: "I'm The Urban Spaceman" by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band
Duration: 24 minutes
Broadcaster: NPS
Broadcast date: March 19, 2001

Contents*: A short introduction of the band and how this crazy bunch of art school eccentrics put besides Twenties jazz and Sixties pop also put absurd comedy and parody into their music with some emphasis on Vivian's extra-ordinary podium antics.
When "I'm The Urban Spaceman" accidentally became a hitsingle, the band was overwhelmed by its succes for which it was ill prepared. After this the band slowly fell apart. Some backgrounds of the song are told. For instance how some members befriended The Beatles, how Paul McCartney became involved in the production of the song and the subsequent demise of the band.

*Note from BeatleV: The script writers obviously took a few liberties when preparing the script. The song was always intended to become a hitsingle and it was the umpteenth effort trying to get one. Also its success was not really the reason for the break-up of the band. That was more due to a badly promoted, partly cancelled second American tour and a completely overworked Vivian (the valium and alcohol didn't help either).
On the other hand this is one of the very few times where Gus Dudgeon is credited for finishing the work Paul McCartney began but left unfinished and that the producers credit "Apollo C. Vermouth" is not the moniker for Paul McCartney as producer, but for Gus Dudgeon / Paul McCartney as producers.

Interviews with:
- "Legs" Larry Smith, drummer
- Roger Ruskin Spear, special effects/sax
- Gus Dudgeon, producer
- Neil Innes, pianist/writer
- Gerry Bron, manager
- Rodney Slater, tuba/sax

Used archival material**: I'm The Urban Spaceman (Original Colour Promo), Canyons Of Your Mind (Colour Me Pop), I'm The Urban Spaceman (Neil Innes live on ukelele and a pretty girl tapdancing (isn't this Conny Booth???)).

**This info is sourced from the production company's database but I am not shure if this is complete. I vaguely remember seeing parts of what I later recognized as being from "Exploding Sausage" (until then I had never seen that film). One thing I know for shure and that the picture quality was impeccable!

This episode is available on DVD by special mail order.

© 2014/01/28 BeatleV. No re-publication or re-distribution, all rights reserved.
BeatleV

Re: Bonzo Dog (Doo Dah) Band: Talking Pictures Redux

Postby BeatleV » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:34 am

Garrett Gilchrist wrote:http://www.barriewentzell.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2205

(There's) no two ways about it, the man has a wonderful portfolio of photographs. The ones of Vivian with Keith Moon as his dummy on his knee are hilarious :).

Q: Did Big Grunt go to different phases with regards to their line-up? The photo's only show four members and don't include Bubs White.
BeatleV

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:51 am

Vivian's bands were always a bit ephemeral and changed based on availability.

Always Sunny in Philadelphia, season 3 episode 8. The rave music appears to be partly inspired by Ottawan's She is D (D.I.S.C.O.). For all you Innes Book of Records fans out there. It's brief, but you hear a robotic voice spell "Disco" in the same rhythm. No idea what the track actually is. Youtube turns up plenty of remixes of the Ottawan song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSi4HE0OBcA

(Edit: You hear it more clearly in the closing credits of 4.3.)
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:22 pm

Talking about the Beatles on CBS with Neil Innes, Julie Taymor, and others ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_3i8ZsG ... C&index=10

Others:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkCJcbee ... 5C&index=8
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby BeatleV » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:15 pm

BeatleV wrote:"Single Luck" featuring the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band's hitsingle "I'm The Urban Spaceman".

I did some research and found this info:
"Single Luck" was a series of television program about one-hit wonders and tells how the hit song originated, (the other side of) its succes and what the band members are currently doing. The program was produced and aired in the Netherlands only. There is no info if other countries adapted or licensed it. After five series (about 43 episodes) the program was cancelled due to its high cost of production.

Series # 4, episode: # 5
Episode Title: "I'm The Urban Spaceman" by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band
Duration: 24 minutes
Broadcaster: NPS
Broadcast date: March 19, 2001

Contents*: A short introduction of the band and how this crazy bunch of art school eccentrics put besides Twenties jazz and Sixties pop also put absurd comedy and parody into their music with some emphasis on Vivian's extra-ordinary podium antics.
When "I'm The Urban Spaceman" accidentally became a hitsingle, the band was overwhelmed by its succes for which it was ill prepared. After this the band slowly fell apart. Some backgrounds of the song are told. For instance how some members befriended The Beatles, how Paul McCartney became involved in the production of the song and the subsequent demise of the band.

*Note from BeatleV: The script writers obviously took a few liberties when preparing the script. The song was always intended to become a hitsingle and it was the umpteenth effort trying to get one. Also its success was not really the reason for the break-up of the band. That was more due to a badly promoted, partly cancelled second American tour and a completely overworked Vivian (the valium and alcohol didn't help either).
On the other hand this is one of the very few times where Gus Dudgeon is credited for finishing the work Paul McCartney began but left unfinished and that the producers credit "Apollo C. Vermouth" is not the moniker for Paul McCartney as producer, but for Gus Dudgeon / Paul McCartney as producers.

Interviews with:
- "Legs" Larry Smith, drummer
- Roger Ruskin Spear, special effects/sax
- Gus Dudgeon, producer
- Neil Innes, pianist/writer
- Gerry Bron, manager
- Rodney Slater, tuba/sax

Used archival material**: I'm The Urban Spaceman (Original Colour Promo), Canyons Of Your Mind (Colour Me Pop), I'm The Urban Spaceman (Neil Innes live on ukelele and a pretty girl tapdancing (isn't this Conny Booth???)).

**This info is sourced from the production company's database but I am not shure if this is complete. I vaguely remember seeing parts of what I later recognized as being from "Exploding Sausage" (until then I had never seen that film). One thing I know for shure and that the picture quality was impeccable!

This episode is available on DVD by special mail order.

© 2014/01/28 BeatleV. No re-publication or re-distribution, all rights reserved.

As I can't find my own video copy, I've tried to buy the "Single Luck" program directly from the production company. On the official website it's stated that you can order anything as long as the recording still exists with as only proviso that in specific cases a sale is only final, if rights have been cleared. Normally this is not a problem, but somehow with this specific episode of "Single Luck" it is. So.....no luck with "Single Luck" so far :/.
BeatleV

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:58 am

Well, thank you for your efforts; I hope you can get ahold of it.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:21 pm

English as Tuppence - Vivian Stanshall radio documentary.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/q3p336
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:40 am

With British Pathe opening up their vast newsreel archives, my first step was to dig up the 1967 newsreel starring the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band. "Nurdling" and "Body Paint" were also part of that newsreel. It turns out Body Paint stars a then-teenaged Caroline Munro, of Starcrash fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Or7WRq2qjw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJt8eO1R-hM
https://www.youtube.com/user/britishpat ... uery=bonzo

I remember seeing this in such poor quality multigenerational VHS back in the 90s. We're spoiled these days. Audiences in 1967 were spoiled too - Caroline Munro, the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah band, and games devised by minor Goon Michael Bentine ... in colour!
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:57 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room