The Video Games Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:04 pm

Sonic the Hedgehog in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrySshF4eVs
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby ctlw83 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:21 pm

Interesting hack/mod. However, I prefer image quality improvement hacks myself.

Sent from my YP-G70 Using ForumTouch for Android
ctlw83

Postby GeoNine » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Has anyone gotten a try at the new DuckTales remastered? I'm curious to see if it's success is more driven by nostalgia or if it still holds up as a game for the ages.
GeoNine

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:48 pm

Sadly doesn't work on my Hackintosh; all sorts of graphical glitches.

I've heard it's pretty good, though.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:40 pm

I watched a playthrough of Ducktales Remastered. Very impressive, really brings a classic NES game into 2013. I still can't play it myself due to severe graphical glitches on OSX.

The music all sounds great, apart from The Himalayas which is very underwhelming. Animation is not up to Disney standards but very good by video game standards, and seems to work very well. The storyline lends some cohesion to the plot of the original, where things would happen for no clear reason. However, there is way too much of it. It's great that they got so many original voice actors back, including 94-year-old Alan Young as Scrooge and 95-year-old June Foray, who struggles doing the voice of Magica De Spell. But there's just too much of them.

There are extra minibosses. You'll fight the Beagle Boys more often, and save Huey, Dewey, Louie and Webby more often. You spend time yelling at Launchpad, and fighting Flintheart Glomgold and the Beagle Boys on top of his plane. You also spend time yelling at Fenton and being assisted by Gizmoduck, who barely appeared in the original. Fenton, Gizmoduck, Gyro Gearloose and Mrs. Beakley are played by new actors, their original VAs having passed away.

The boss battles are more fleshed-out. The Yeti and Inca Statue are much bigger, and the Terra Firmian King and Magica De Spell are much more interesting now in terms of storyline and attacks.

Finally, the storyline comes together for a final level, set in Mt. Vesuvius, with Flintheart Glomgold, Magica De Spell, and Dracula Duck all involved. This is essentially a new level, with a new musical theme. In the NES game, you replayed the Transylvania level briefly, fought Dracula Duck, and briefly raced Flintheart and Magica to the finish line. The Remastered version is much more of an experience. Flintheart and Magica work together to rob you of your treasures, including your lucky #1 dime. You and Flintheart run through caves of lava, and you fight baddies. Magica summons Dracula Duck, who has new attacks. Then you race Flintheart and Magica out of the erupting volcano!

This is still an underwhelming ending in that it lacks another battle with Magica and Flintheart, but it's much better than the NES version, while still being completely true and accurate to what happens on the NES.

You can swim in the money bin, and collect money to unlock original artwork from the series and other goodies.

Without having actually played the new version (unfortunately), I was very impressed. It would be nice to see other NES classics get the same treatment.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:20 pm

Games that should exist:
Count Dracula's Reading Adventure (1990, PC)
The king of the undead stalks and devours the living in full gory detail while children learn their ABCs.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:25 pm

Ew, gross. Bad Mojo: The Cockroach Game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdYOybF1WRo
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:45 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:39 pm

Mega Man minus Mega Man. Just like Garfield Minus Garfield.
http://fusionfangaming.spriters-resourc ... leases-19/

And this thing ...
http://fusionfangaming.spriters-resourc ... -releases/
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby GeoNine » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Try and find Shantae if you can on emulator (GBC/GBA).

Discovered this game a while ago, but it's worth a look.

Also, here's the virtual console release trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTmoBYgiWXI
GeoNine

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room