The Video Games Thread

A forum for creative people.
pauljthacker

Re: The Video Games Thread

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:42 am

Dennis196492 wrote:About Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric:

We all know that the final game is not by any stretch of the imagination a good game, it's average at best, but to say it's worse than Sonic 06 is just stepping on the retard territory for a number of reasons
I suppose reviews need to be taken in the context of the time they were released, but nonetheless I think it's worth pointing out that Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric has a 31 on Metacritic while Sonic 06 has a 46 on the XBox 360 and a 43 on PS3.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/so ... e-of-lyric

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360 ... e-hedgehog

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... e-hedgehog

I can't offer personal reviews because I don't plan on playing any of them. I don't have time to play all the games that are actually good, let alone these, haha.

pauljthacker

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:08 am

Garrett Gilchrist wrote: I'm not a current gamer so I don't normally comment, but what a mess. I do have sympathy for any third-party developer trying to work on Nintendo's underpowered, proprietary, secretive and unusually-laid-out systems. I understand why legitimate publishers tend to avoid Nintendo systems on their top titles, and why they get so much shovelware - although I'm still basically a Nintendo supporter.
I think Nintendo's gotten better at developer support. Even indie studios can get development kits pretty easily now. I don't think the Wii U's terrible to develop for. It's basically just a souped up Wii, so still an IBM PowerPC processor. It's certainly easier to develop for than the PS3 with its multi-core Cell processor. And just look at games like Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. and it's clear it's perfectly capable of rendering beautiful, stylized graphics.

That said, it's easy to see why third parties tend to avoid the Wii U. For one thing, it just doesn't have that large an install base, and they'd have trouble competing with Nintendo first party titles. Plus, the XBox One and PS4 are basically PCs now, so it's pretty easy to develop for those two consoles and PC, with extra effort needed for the Wii U. Ubisoft finally released Watch Dogs for the Wii U about six months late, and I kind of wonder what's the point now. Surely most interested people will own a better system to play it on, and now it will be cheaper on those.

While Sonic: Lost World didn't blow critic away (63 on Metacritic), it at least wasn't a complete disaster. I know it's a different developer, but I wish they'd done more to expand on the ideas in that game rather than trying to reinvent everything. I'll credit Jim Sterling with that idea,l since he recently released a video suggesting that Sega try iterating on Sonic rather than doing something completely different every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY2HF4L ... yuNVHDWNOA

pauljthacker

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:20 am

Dennis196492 wrote:That's the thing, though, DKCTF and SM3DW are completely different from what Rise of Lyric was aiming for, it's a genre of 3D Platforming that hasn't been attempted in this scale for a long time, I'd say it was trying to be more like those platforms like the Ratchet and Clank games and that one Crash Twinsanity game.

Let us not forget also that Nintendo is Nintendo, they have ridiculous quality control over their own products, Sonic Boom was mishandled the worst way possible and the bigger part of the blame should go to no one other than Sega, the way they run things is baffling to me, as if the case with the Comics wasn't enough.
Yeah, Nintendo really hasn't done a very open 3D platforming game since Mario Galaxy 2. Super Mario 3D World is close in some ways, but is generally quite linear. That's a whole genre that's been on decline. I backed Lobodestroyo on Kickstarter, so hopefully that will bring back some of that magic.

And yes, Ninendo's gotten a reputation as a company that will delay games until they work. And that's not common anymore, as evidenced by Driveclub (PS4), Master Chief Collection (Xbox One), and Assassin's Creed Unity (multi-platform).

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:18 am

Lost World seemed interesting, if a bit more "Nintendo" in style. I haven't played the recent Sonic games but I've seen enough playthrough footage to get an idea. Rise of Lyric isn't Sonic 06, but it's unfinished and unappealing ....

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:00 pm

In music, many producers do a "next room" test. They know that many listeners won't hear their music under the best circumstances. Listeners will hear it over a low quality radio signal, or a cheap speaker, or from the next room, or over a speaker in a store or coffee shop, where the music can barely be heard.

So the test is whether the mix still sounds good coming from the next room.

The Game Grumps could really be a version of that for video games. They tend to ignore directions and play games wrong. They haven't bothered to figure out anything if it takes thought or listening to instructions. They'll go in the wrong direction if the game doesn't make it obvious, and use a very limited set of controls if other moves aren't intuitive and immediately apparent.

So if a game still flows and plays the way it should even on Game Grumps, it can be considered a pretty solid game.

3D World and Tropical Freeze pass that test.

Dennis196492

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:59 pm

I don't think any experimentation notes on game design should be taken from Game Grumps, Dan doesn't care at all about video games, their Pokemon Ruby Red playthrough had only Arin play the game while Dan was messing with the iPhone and what not, and Arin is an asshole that thinks that every game should have a similar, if not the same learning curve of Megaman X, it's clear he likes extremely linear 2D styled games over 3D ones because he has the attention span of an 8 year old.

Not even people that don't play video games get lost as much as they do in games like Wind Waker, I've seen people that don't even speak english get the sword and save Tetra quicker than those two did, Arin's excuse is that it's hard to do a comedy show while paying attention to the video game, but there is only one problem, he's never funny outside of making Barry shake the screen when he shouts into the mic.
Last edited by Dennis196492 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis196492

Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:06 pm

I suppose reviews need to be taken in the context of the time they were released, but nonetheless I think it's worth pointing out that Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric has a 31 on Metacritic while Sonic 06 has a 46 on the XBox 360 and a 43 on PS3.
I don't consider game reviews in anyway, most of the backlash comes from people thinking this is replacing the main canon, or in anyway trying to as well as ''not playing like Sonic'' when they stated that it is a spin-off.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:34 pm

We need a Batman 66 game.

Oh, I see Adam West played Batman '66 in the LEGO Batman 3 game recently. That counts for quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuDqNFAATS8

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:49 pm

Super Mario Bros 1 for Sega Genesis
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/oth ... bros-port/