The Video Games Thread

A forum for creative people.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: The Video Games Thread

Thu May 29, 2014 1:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfHUTBml0p4

Speaking of Sega CD games in higher quality, here's a VHS promo video [with overly loud, distorted sound - sorry] for Penn & Teller's Smoke and Mirrors. Something of a cult game today, this was an anti-game which poked fun at gaming convention and allowed you to frustrate yourself and your friends ... very much a showcase for Penn & Teller's quirky ideas rather than a straightforward game. The game was not released at the time due to Absolute going under, but leaked to the internet years ago.

Dennis196492

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:59 am

So E3 just passed and everything went better than expected. Microsoft tried hard, Sony made my brain numb with all those pre-rendered trailers, and Nintendo showed some neat stuff.

But Microsoft, oh boy, they took the term "Fuck you" to a whole new level, it's the kind of shit that makes a person mad for all eternity, it was unforgivable. Fuck all the pre-rendered trailers of games that feature guns and shit, that was the highlight of the show and it was what I consider, in my opinion, the worst E3 moment of all time.

I could have settled for another embarassing showcase of the Kinect and more shit about TV and Sports, I don't care, but showing off Conker as if saying "We won't make a new game, we don't wanna make a new game, we know it will suck balls, and most importantly: we won't give him and Banjo to Nintendo, he ours now, behold his ruined corpse."

I might be overreacting but from a historical perspective it is what happened, if you know Rareware's history since they left Nintendo. It's the worst thing, they even got a Chris Seavor sound-a-like to say in our faces "You want a new game? Make one yourselves"

GeoNine

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:48 am

I think the reactions to the giant middle-finger Microsoft gave fans with teasing Conker are valid. They have Rare but don't use them because they don't know how to do so properly.

But yes, Nintendo won E3 again this year, and props to them for still not falling into the formula of "show off pre-rendered/in-engine footage rather than real gameplay to boost hype" and giving us what we'll actually be getting when the pick up and play these games. It's become so rare these days for honest trailers, especially from the bigger companies.

Dennis196492

Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:20 pm

It's not like they can actually use Rare since it's not the same anymore, Chris Seavor and Co. left, all the talent left and if they do make a new sequel to Banjo/Conker (heh) it will be Nuts and Bolts 2.0. I was hoping they would sell the IPs to Nintendo sp they can gather the old guy back and form Not-Rare but now that Microsoft did what they did it's not gonna happen.

The video game industry changed dramatically over the years, it's not about the games anymore, it's about redefining gaming with incredible tiny little details only made possible in the infinite power of the Next-Generation Consoles, packed with a compelling and deep cinematic narrative that will keep you in the edge of your seat.

I swear, you can take a picture of each trailer from each game they announced this E3, put them all together in the same wall, take out the name and I wouldn't be able to tell which "game" is which, every single fucking game has guns, every single game has fake generated hype behind it, it sickens me.

The Video games industry is trying to become Hollywood and Hollywood is trying to be like Video games. The newer AAA releases from the big gaming companies all feature 2 hours of cutscenes, scripted "cinematic" set-pieces, millions of dollars spent on Marketing/Graphics rather than the actual game, bland Movie soundtracks and generated hype, all while the big Hollywood movies are the same thing where the action is like a stupid video game and the plot is laughably simple and shoved to the side.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Interesting that Nintendo shut down Super Mario Bros X (or tried to) and then comes out with Mario Maker. The Super Mario Bros / New Super Mario Bros styles available are very cool, but I don't see any styles from All Stars and World and so on, like X has. Still a nice little app - with perhaps more functionality than yet seen.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:44 pm

While I'm not a current gamer, it's interesting that most of the Smash Bros character announcements from Nintendo lately have been either female characters (Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena) or male characters who appeal to female gamers and have obvious female alts that they will probably have in game (Animal Crossing Villager, Pac-Man). There's a definite attempt to gender balance that game, even when it means bringing in more obscure characters. Nintendo's output is fairly gender neutral by industry standards.

I joked the other day that they should bring in my own favorite NES character:

Birdo for Smash Bros. Attacks include Eggs, Eggs and Eggs. Final Smash is Eggs.

GeoNine

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:15 am

Also on the topic of more female characters in games, Hyrule Warriors, the Legend of Zelda meets Dynasty Warriors game, has confirmed Zelda, Impa, and Midna as playable characters with even more to be announced in the future. Hopefully we'll see more characters from the series but I'm already excited with Zelda and Impa as playable characters.

Dennis196492

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Let us not forget the glory of Splatoon, the first online shooter game to feature little girls, it's pretty funny now that I think a out it