Site Admin

Re: Recommend one song.

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:23 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:15 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPGbvv4IhNU

There is zero chance that "5 Seconds of Summer" didn't know they were ripping off Duran Duran's Hungry Like the Wolf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOg5VxrRTi0
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:17 pm

George Harrison shot two videos for "Got My Mind Set On You". The first (and less famous) takes place in an arcade, as Alexis Denisof flirts with a young lady, who watches George (and Jeff Lynne and company) on a Nickelodeon. There's not enough of George in the edit.

Then there's the later video, with George alone.

There's also this unreleased video, which is taken from the "Nickelodeon" footage, but never cuts away from George and company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8g7DkZggQM

Got My Mind Set On You ARCADE VERSION:
#1 (Copyright over the video)
#2 (Without copyright over the video)
Filmed in London, Directed by Willy Smax. Two variants are available, #1 has the copyright credits over the video near the end while version #2 has the copyright credits after the video is finished. This second version (without slates and copyright credits) was also included in top quality on the ‘Dark Horse Years’ box set.

#3 (Raw Edit A)
#4 (Raw Edit B)
Also available among bootleg and video collectors are two raw edits of the same video: Raw Edit A is SIMILAR but not the same as the released version, it has many different angles and scenes that were removed from the final version, specially a different dance sequence from the ballet ballerina.
Raw Edit B shows only the ‘band performance’ without any of the arcade video, plus there is no ballerina. A few scenes from this version were included as well on the final cut, but same as Raw Edit A, there are many differences with the released version. Here’s a sample of RAW Edit B. The finale on both Raw Edit A and B is completely different as well to the released version, showing George and the band singing in front of the camera.

Got My Mind Set On You HAUNTED HOUSE/CHAIR VERSION:
#1 (Edit A- “Dancer tired”- Copyright over the video)
#2 (Edit A- “Dancer tired”- Without copyright over the video)
#3 (Edit B)
A second version filmed in Los Angeles, Directed by Gary Weis. Two different versions plus one variant are available. #1 has the copyright credits over the video near the end while #2 has the copyright credits after the video is finished. This is the less known version where George’s double, the dancer has a longer sequence after his routine, he jumps into the chair and it gets tired for a few seconds and later the video returns with the real Harrison. Edit B or #3 don’t have this scene, after the dancer jumps into the chair, we see George immediately playing his guitar. This is not the only difference between Edit A and B, there are more scenes of the “haunted” house and the animals singing on Edit B while on Edit A we see more Harrison footage playing his guitar.
Edit B was also included in top quality on the ‘Dark Horse Years’ box set.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:12 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDI44Xhq7Tk

While I wouldn't say that 2015's Froot, by Marina and the Diamonds, is a better album than her 2010 debut The Family Jewels, it is the album I listen to more frequently, and it's often in my thoughts these days.

It's largely an album about a woman who has struggled with depression and perpetually been undervalued, as an artist and in life, saying she knows her own worth.

She wants to say she's in a happier, more fulfilled place now, even if that knowledge came at great cost. Nestled in the middle of the album, "Gold" and "Solitaire" feel like statements of self-esteem gained after a full nervous breakdown. "Blue" says that outright, even as it pretends to be a simple, brainless pop tune. The result is very moving.

"Family Jewels" had quirky tracks like "Mowgli's Road," which was largely about whether Marina wanted to be a mainstream pop artist or do something more unique and even bizarre. The subtext of the album was about her struggles with depression and her desire to be the biggest pop star in the world. But she never had the career of Lady Gaga or Katy Perry or Taylor Swift. Perhaps because Marina's album was actually as weird as Lady Gaga was pretending to be.

Her 2013 album Electra Heart took that further, as she genuinely tried to sell out by producing blander pop music with mainstream producers, in the character of toxic, doomed, suicidal pop princess Electra Heart. She actually lost creative control at times, and some of the tracks just aren't interesting. But for a sellout piece it's an incredibly dark and moody album at heart, focusing in on what it would really mean to be an enormously successful pop star, if she sold her soul (and gave up her body and life) to do so. For Marina, becoming an iconic pop princess seems to involve becoming a negative stereotype of a woman then killing herself in slow motion, a la Marilyn Monroe. You might rightly infer from this that there are reasons why she never became quite that famous.

"Froot" finds her in a much healthier place, judging from the tracks anyway. It's more mainstream-friendly than Family Jewels was, but it also feels much more personal, like she's not playing a character anymore. There aren't obvious sellout tracks. Compared to the quirky "The Family Jewels," "Froot" tends to eschew subtext and is often childishly blunt, as if she's tired of being misunderstood. She just comes out and says what the songs are about.

"Underneath it all, we're just savages." "I don't want to feel blue anymore." In "Can't Pin Me Down," she spends a song saying outright that she's not going to do what's expected of her as an artist. "Mowgli's Road" made the point a thousand times better by actually doing the unexpected. Her dark and quirky side is now the subtext. The great title track "Froot" is openly about sex. To quote Garth Marenghi, "I know writers you use subtext and they're all cowards." But it's still a uniquely Marina take on sex, pitched very low and also very high, above Marina's natural range, and sounding like a witch's spell, an invocation to something very strange and darkly magical. The Youtube video of "Froot" actually omits the two bridges which make this much clearer, such as:

"I'm your carnal flower, I'm your bloody rose
Pick my petals off and make my heart explode
I'm your deadly nightshade, I'm your cherry tree
You're my one true love, I'm your destiny"

Well, if you're going to write about sex, why not treat sex as sacred? This isn't the plastic world of Katy Perry. It's curious and telling that this gets cut out in the video, as the bridges are like Marina's signature embedded in what could otherwise be mistaken for mainstream pop. Marina always has a unique voice in her work which makes it hard for her to just cash in and sell out. I'd like to hear an album from her which is weirder, but at least 2/3rds of "Froot," as an album, is brilliant and holds up to repeated listens.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:05 am

Yer Blues. Did we do this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX15Jax2FeQ
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:00 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin