Recommend one song.

A forum for creative people.

Re: Recommend one song.

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:58 am

It's bizarre to even look back at the Schumacher Batman films now. But here's U2. The animated video seems to forget that not every Batman villain is The Joker -- and so does the movie, Batman Forever!

https://vimeo.com/41133252
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:27 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:47 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:10 am

Carl Douglas' "Kung Fu Fighting" (1974) is a ridiculous song, but boy do we know it by heart. This 1998 version, with white-lad British rappers "Bus Stop," was featured in the Dance Dance Revolution games. So we know that version even better. Either way it's generally played in the context of white dudes being kinda racist. Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVWcXVnV13g
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:47 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:47 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon May 29, 2017 12:48 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:11 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby JustinHoskie » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:23 pm

"I'm sorry, but the old Taylor can't come to the phone right now. Why? Oh, because she's dead."

I'm reminded of a story Lorna Luft has told. Once, she came home after school to find her mother, Judy Garland, preparing for an interview by scattering all the pills in the bathroom cabinet onto the living room floor, and soaking the room with vodka, sprinkling it much like a priest would bless a house. She asked, "Mama, what are you doing?" Judy's response?

"Honey, I'm just giving the reporter what he wants." It was an idea she lived her life off of. She knew the public and the press didn't care if she wasn't really this sad, tragic figure who would cry herself to sleep at night. She just stopped fighting it and embraced that image, because she knew she wouldn't be able to change their minds. She even told daughter Liza, when she began defending her mama, not to bother and that "They don't care. If that's how they want to see me, that's how they'll see me. There's no use in trying to fight it."

With "Look What You Made Me Do," and it looks like with reputation as a whole, Taylor Swift is doing just that. After years of being painted as the enemy, and as a conniving bitch, and after years of fighting that image and trying to defuse it with humor and playfulness (ie "Blank Space"), she's decided that it's just not worth the effort anymore. She's thrown in the towel and said "Alright, if that's what you want me to be, that's what I'll be. I'll be the enemy. I'll be what you've painted me as. And I'll be your worst nightmare."

To quote Judy Garland, she's just giving the people what they want.
Look What You Made Me Do | Official Lyric Video | TaylorSwiftVEVO
JustinHoskie

Previous

Return to The Big Round Room