TV Thread

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: TV Thread

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:31 am

Kevin Jon Davies' 2002 documentary about the making of Blake's 7 .... never issued on DVD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQn-iXh ... e=youtu.be

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:12 pm

Archer didn't really change much this season though; I think they're overstating that for the purposes of publicity and getting viewers interested. I'd watch those characters do anything.

Okay, admittedly, Pam, Lana and Cheryl are all in a different state this season. Cocaine Pam, Lana's pregnant and Cheryl is a country singer with a chip in her head.

Still ...

Rick and Morty .... Oh, Rick versus the Devil and his antique shop. "For me this was just a bit, like when Bugs Bunny fucks with the opera singer for 20 minutes." Lubba wubba dub dub.

JustinHoskie

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:03 pm

Well, it's happened. After five seasons, Destination Truth is officially over: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=715750348447774

I haven't been into the transition from SciFi to SyFy, and I hate most reality shows they pump out, but I've always loved DT. Even now, years after my love affair with Ghost Hunters has been over, I will still sit and watch it whenever one of it's mini-marathons air, enthralled. With the exception of their paranormal investigations (an aspect of the show that was added later and that I've never really liked), I've liked Josh Gate's approach to the show. He is, at his heart, a skeptic, there are episodes that'll end with him going "No, this is what's really happening. There aren't mermaids," -- and if you read his book, you will hear him mention investigations ended with "Oh, it was probably this" even when the episode ended with "there could be something out there..." (Because, afterall, television.) -- and, ever since meeting a man who had been a fisherman all his life and who gave up his line of work because he was terrified after an encounter with an alleged sea-serpent, he always felt "People are having real experiences here. They may not be this thing, but our job is to find out what it is."

This is something I've been expecting (they've been hiatus since 2012, with no signs of new episodes), but I'm still a bit bummed out. Now, all that's left is to hope for a DVD release for the rest of the series.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:46 pm

It's always hard to tell if Conservatives are dumb or just playing dumb to score points. And it's always a little of both. Anyway, here's the latest ridiculousness. Stephen Colbert has been playing this character since 2005, but the very people he's parodying are now acting like these are his real views and calling for his cancellation. To score points.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/stephen ... 201149494/

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:43 am

Since this forum was rebooted not long ago, let me recommend Joss Whedon's Dollhouse once again.

A weirdly overlooked series. Easily the smartest, most subversive thing on TV at the time. Presumably people gave up after the first few episodes, which focused on Echo, largely due, apparently, to FOX interference - the singer episode in particular being unforgivably bad. Joss Whedon's series are known for their ensemble casts, and focusing on Eliza Dushku alone makes the show fall apart almost completely, which I can't blame on Dushku entirely.

It feels like the idea for the show was come up with in a really rushed way, with FOX wanting this sexy series, and it suddenly clicks that, oh, this is kind of about rape. Once FOX heard that, they definitely weren't comfortable with it. So the writers dance a jig about it, introducing the darker themes very gradually until the whole thing hits you like a ton of bricks - especially in Felicia Day's episodes.

The show is stuffed with terrific actors, and once it starts making more use of them they do the incredible work you'd expect.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Bob's Burgers S2E1: Impressed that they got Cyndi Lauper to sing "Taffy Butt" for the end credits. That's a very nice touch.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:18 pm

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Deadwood, Archer, Sopranos, Twin Peaks, Childrens Hospital, Rick and Morty, Veep, The Thick of It, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Community, Jam, Brass Eye, Doctor Who, old Doctor Who, Dollhouse, Buffy/Angel, Breaking Bad, State of Play, Life On Mars/Ashes to Ashes (UK), Parks and Rec, The Muppet Show, Shameless UK (1st 2 seasons), Shameless US, Mad Men, Red Dwarf, The Day Today, Firefly, John From Cincinatti, Knowing Me Knowing You, Seinfeld, Arrested Development

JustinHoskie

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:42 pm

So, it's Destination Truth meets Monumental Mysteries meets Unsolved Mysteries? Yes. I'm in. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=718606918162117

Also, Whil Wheaton has a TV show!: http://wilwheaton.net/2014/04/the-wil-wheaton-project/

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:43 am

http://axecop.com/comic/page-205-friends-anymore/

I had forgotten that Axe Cop exists. I'm not a regular reader, though I've read enough of it. I watched the first episode of the FOX TV series of it - I think just the first episode. It had a more traditional comedy-show tone than the comic. What were people's opinions on it? And is it coming back?