TV Thread

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: TV Thread

Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:58 pm

State of Play (2003) Oh hey, this great series is on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Q_RSdooCs

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:19 pm

Jim and Retta have been added to the opening titles of Parks and Recreation.

I enjoyed Community's "App Development and Condiments." The episodes that turn into big genre parodies are a Community staple, and usually the sign of a good episode, but for once I felt like this episode would have succeeded just as well without turning into a dystopian future spoof ala Logan's Run. The first half of the episode deals with the insidious ways that social media changes our lives - the bizarre psychology behind being popular on the internet, as if we're all part of some strange, out of control experiment. I could happily have watched a version of the episode that stayed more realistic ... although of course this is Greendale's reality.

Imagine I'm posting this with mustard on my face.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:09 pm

Arrested Development creator Mitch Hurwitz was a surprisingly welcome guest star on Community (and before that, Parks and Recreation) ... playing a 50-year old student desperately but successfully cultivating the image and life of a teenage party animal ... eventually in an 80s-style college comedy film.

Anyway, here's this:

http://gawker.com/dan-harmon-and-mitch- ... socialflow

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:11 pm

Recovering lost British TV from the early 90s:
http://wipednews.com/features/the-happe ... -archives/

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:23 pm

Oh, so that's what Rick and Morty is.

Well, I'd seen that old badly-animated short where Marty McFly licks Doc Brown's balls. So, wow, they made a TV series out of that?

It's a very funny show, some big laughs in each episode so far, and good people in the cast.

The level of imagination is comparable to Futurama and the offensiveness is more like Family Guy - Rick being just as skeevy as in the old short.

The ugly art style could sit alongside Regular Show and Adventure Time but lacks their quality. There's enough decent animation in there that as usual, I'm shaking my head that all animated TV series have to have such ugly designs. Like a copy of a copy of Family Guy.

The show is bursting with ideas, which is what matters really.

Anyway, yeah, a worthy show to watch alongside yer Archers and Bob's Burgers and what have you.

The real question is, will this show get #sixseasonsandamovie?

And what if there's a gas leak year?

If we're judging this show based on me actually laughing out loud like an idiot, this show succeeds at that more than any other in recent memory.

The stupid improvised TV shows in episode 8.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/02/ ... ted-series

And that old short:
http://vimeo.com/49664066

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:41 pm

"It’s in theaters now. Coming this summer: two brothers in a van and then a meteor hits, and they ran as fast as they could from giant cat monsters and then a giant tornado came and that’s when things got knocked into 12th gear. A Mexican armada shows up with weapons made from tomatoes. And you better bet your bottom dollar that these two brothers know how to handle business. In: ALIEN INVASION TOMATO MONSTER MEXICAN ARMADA BROTHERS WHO ARE JUST REGULAR BROTHERS RUNNING IN A VAN FROM AN ASTEROID AND ALL SORTS OF THINGS THE MOVIE. Hold on, these’s more. Old women are comin’ and they’re also in the movie and they’re gonna come and cross attack these two brothers, but let’s get back to the brothers because they’re, they have a strong bond. You don’t want to know about it here, but I’ll tell you one thing: the moon, it comes crashing into earth and what do you do then? it’s two brothers and it…and..and they’re gonna…it’s called TWO BROTHERS. Two brothers…"

Real Fake Doors!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 8xGo3E7sRw

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:20 am

Here's a longer review:

If I wasn't sold on Rick and Morty before (and I was, by the way), episode 8, "Rixty Minutes," would do the trick.

The show grew out of a crudely-drawn Back to the Future parody where an idiot version of Marty is forced to perform lewd acts on a psychotic Doc Brown - the video equivalent of graffiti on a wall.

So you wouldn't expect that this show would even be playing in the same wheelhouse as Futurama and The Venture Brothers, but it's got those shows' sense of imagination, and it's smarter and more interested in its characters than it might seem to be on the surface. It's also a deeply strange show, with a loose, improvisational quality poking out around the edges.

Episode 8 goes all out with that. The B-story is a surprisingly dramatic one, where Jerry and Beth examine the success they could have achieved if they hadn't gotten married and had Summer - leaving Summer to feel quite rightly unloved and unappreciated.

The A-story is Rick and Morty watching television.

More specifically, it's television from an infinite amount of possible universes. That means a whole lot of goofy, improvised little scenes that had me laughing like an idiot for the duration. It's Justin Roiland and the team just screwing around in a loose and rambling way and the sense of fun and pure comedy is palpable.

The dramatic B-story feels like a jarring contrast at first, but it all comes together very well at the end, with surprising callbacks to previous episodes. While the pilot promised a show that was dark, crude and offensive, there's something more at play here. It might be the influence of Dan Harmon, whose Community often goes to dark places while caring very much about its characters. There's a hint of that here. There's a consistency to the characters and the show is able to explore them beyond the surface level when it needs to. That is to say, they have their own hopes, dreams and opinions even when they're being pushed around. You could say it's a real, actual television series.

The improvised comedy of this episode is even more promising, and I could happily watch Rick's television shows for hours on end. And it clearly lays out what's unique about Roiland's comedy style.

There's a lot of potential here. The show is set up for all sorts of science fiction shenanigans, which have a Futurama feel about them, albeit with a darker tone, often ending in the destruction of civilization. Episode 2 hit the ground running as dogs take over the world and Rick and Morty go through an Inception parody despite Rick sort of hating that film.

At this point, that gives the show a feeling that anything could happen. Rick himself is an abusive bastard but likeable, and not without his redeeming moments. Constantly having bizarre sci-fi adventures has left Rick with little empathy for people, if he ever had any. After destroying all of humanity in episode 6, he points out, correctly and hilariously, that Morty's request for a love potion, which started the whole thing off, was also a morally repugnant thing. Like a true alcoholic, with rare moments of lucidity and conscience.

While the rest of the family are normal by comparison, Summer shows real promise in episodes 7 and 8. In the former, she demands to go with Rick on an adventure. Rick is a misogynist, mocking and ignoring her for the duration, while the actual planet they visit also acts out tired gender roles.

And the show has already gotten a lot of mileage out of Jerry. Rick hates him, feeling he's not good enough for his daughter, and Beth only "sort of" loves him at all, but several B-plots have come out of how much Jerry hates himself. Aggressively mediocre, he sabotages himself at even small tasks like improving his golf game - driving the Meeseeks insane in episode 5. In episode 4, he's trapped in a cheap simulation, but too caught up in himself to realize it. He still sabotages himself from even the tiniest successes and, when he realizes this world isn't fighting back, takes way too much pleasure in pathetically small victories.

Jerry is played by Chris Parnell of Archer (and SNL, 30 Rock, etc), and Rick and Morty can happily stand alongside Archer as a very funny adult cartoon on cable.

It's already picked up for season 2. I'm hoping for six seasons and a movie.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:06 am

Possibly the best 3D pony work I've seen. The Gamer Luna is spot on.
http://clawed-nyasu.deviantart.com/gall ... 1?offset=0