TV Thread

A forum for creative people.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: TV Thread

Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:38 pm

The creators of legendary Flash cartoon series Homestar Runner have been working at Disney for some time now. They were clearly hired to create "Two More Eggs" as something not dissimilar to Homestar Runner for Disney XD. However, creating lo-fi Flash cartoons looks naive and even embarrassing now, when it was groundbreaking in 2001, as a pre-Youtube example of something funny being created specifically for the internet.

Also the lack of the familiar Homestar Runner characters [like Strong Bad] puts them on shaky ground, unless certain characters [like Dooble] really take off. [Hector and Kovitch just uses the Homestar Runner voice, on a character we don't know anything about yet.]

I am surprised they didn't create something more polished and modern, although admittedly they've been using a bunch of different art styles in this series, and stuff like Trauncles and CGI Palz could pass for something broadcastable on TV. (Otherwise we're too used to the look of cheap Flash animation. We see it as what it is, even when created by stars of the format.)

There are some laughs here, to the point that I'm glad they're doing it and will keep watching, but so far it's worse than the old Homestar Runner stuff for a lot of reasons. And a sign of how creators, even of groundbreaking stuff, need to evolve with the times rather than do the same old thing. I'm reminded of George Lucas with the Star Wars prequels, where his characters and situations suddenly reeked of racist cultural appropriation. This had always been true, but it worked for the 70s and early 80s and we'd overlooked it because the work itself was so iconic. Seeing the same thing happen in the late 90s and early 2000s felt like a parody of Star Wars rather than an evolution of it.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:24 pm

"Clean your teeth on my bones." - Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor

https://youtu.be/GIKteYH79Js?t=1192

http://www.clickhole.com/video/supercut ... r-tee-2239

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:32 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:29 pm

"[Being paid less than David Duchovny] made sense at the beginning because he had been cast first and had a body of work already whereas I was plucked from obscurity. Also I was being paid more money than my parents or I had ever seen in our lives. So I felt very lucky, then after three years I was like, “Know what? This isn’t working for me anymore”. I made a stand and the gap in our pay closed. Was it sexism? Maybe. It’s like the way we were directed by the studios, I was to walk behind him, never side by side. I mean, that is f—-ing priceless when I think about it now. When we would get out the car and walk towards the house I would have to be behind him, even though I had equal dialogue."
— Gillian Anderson

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/thea ... s-all.html