TV Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: TV Thread

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:56 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:06 pm

The Handmaid's Tale - A story set in a terrifying theocratic dystopia where women have no power and are controlled completely ...

Iran: Hey, America, you know you actually did this to us? Like, have you seen Iran in the 1970s compared to today?

America (ignoring): A chilling fantasy that seems all too real ...
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby JustinHoskie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:01 pm

My favorite thing about the Rocky Horror remake is that the Transylvanian actors appear in the beginning, like the original film, but Laverne Cox is so recognizable that they had to throw a veil over her entire goddamn head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzuVBxtbbl4
JustinHoskie

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:40 pm

Looking at the 90s versus today is a real trip. You wonder what anyone was complaining about. People would have a few things to say now about Friends.

So no one told you it was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)

-- You live in a gigantic New York apartment which in real life would be worth multi millions.

Your job's a joke, you're broke

-- At least you have a job. How are you so broke if you have a job? Maybe you should ditch the multi million dollar apartment and live within your means. Probably you are spending too much on wacky adventures.

Your love life's DOA

-- You are Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox and her friends. You literally married Brad Pitt. You're like half of People's Most Beautiful People list.

Oh wait, this is like that article about the "poor" gentrifiers who wanted you to feel sorry for how poor they were but who easily were able to get over a million dollars to renovate the apartment they'd bought whenever they needed it. Earning millions in property value in the process and kicking out about a dozen poor people living there.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:27 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:40 pm

RIP Adam West. This one hurts. West was such a charming, charismatic actor, who played a comedic, light-hearted version of Batman with a knowing wink, and which was straight out of the comic books of the time. A reliable actor on television, he did lots of comedy later in life, such as his always-funny appearances on Family Guy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a ... tar-832264
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby randpaulheirapparent » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:51 pm

I agree, he was a brilliant and funny man. He will be sorely missed. Rest in Peace my brother.
randpaulheirapparent

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:24 pm

https://i.redd.it/ar845mfooh4z.png

"We the People" tie. Jimmy going full Saul, then taking it all back the next episode, with big consequences. I've heard "Better Call Saul" described as the show where actions have consequences. Actions that the characters try to shrug off, to break the rules and go on with their lives, keep on coming back to bite them. Saul Goodman is estimated to have committed nearly 70 felonies in Breaking Bad. In this show we really like him. But actions have consequences. One of the show's secret weapons is Howard Hamlin ... an antagonist who I don't think we're actually supposed to hate. The whole cast deserve kudos.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:32 pm

Twin Peaks S3 Episode 8. David Lynch in full experimental filmmaker mode. Deeply strange and disturbing even by Lynch standards, as he seems to suggest that the Trinity Nuclear bomb test in New Mexico in 1945 gave birth to the unspeakable evil which haunted Twin Peaks in 1990, and continues to do so now.

It is very David Lynch that any question he answers just brings up a hundred new questions, and a world of strange and worrying things.

Elements which seemed throwaway before have suddenly become very important, though it's not immediately clear how. Gordon Cole whistling in front of a photo of an atom bomb test. Jurgen Prochnow in Fire Walk With Me as a Woodsman living above a convenience store. (Or indeed the charred Woodsman in previous S3 episodes.) The brain-eating creature in the glass box, referred to as "The Experiment."

And BOB himself, surviving past the death of actor Frank Silva, as you always knew he would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-tOt8s0HLM

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/tw ... 0709025600

http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/twin-pea ... hback.html

This review echoes many of my thoughts, bringing up a quote that was coming to mind ... from William Butler Yeats’ "The Second Coming ..."

“The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?”

Film is emotion, it's a dream we have in the dark, and Lynch gets this. It's a crime that he's been retired for the last 10 years, not making films. He's lost none of his power in the intervening time.

Almost all his work seems to explore what it means to be American. It explores the happier dreams of American life, and the darkness that lies underneath.

Blue Velvet is such entry-level Lynch but it makes that very clear. White picket fences and red roses and a 50s suburban feel. MacLachlan as this young kid who wants a Scooby-Doo detective mystery. But he discovers an adult world of sex and violence that's more fucked up than he's ready for. Because the secret sauce is that behind these white picket fences, in suburban white America in the 50s, were a lot of guys who had gone to war and killed people, and who came back with PTSD and alcoholism and a lot of feelings they didn't know what to do with.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:47 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room