What are you working on?

A forum for creative people.

Re: What are you working on?

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:18 am

At the end of last year, I was given two large commission projects to work on. The first was a Dungeons and Dragons project. The second was also RPG-based and is called Arrowhead Epiphany. In April I finished the last of the nine-character Dungeons and Dragons set, and I've recently finished and posted the last of the six-character Arrowhead Epiphany drawings.

http://tygerbug.deviantart.com/gallery/

They're all drawn large (2 or 3 feet), usually in several pieces, and I put a lot of time and thought into them, trying to make them believable and realistic without copying existing photographs and so on. Realistic anatomy is not an easy thing, and I take it very seriously, so there was a lot of drawing and redrawing, to get the details right and maintain the logic of the anatomy. For the Arrowhead Epiphany characters, I drew their heads larger and separately; I think I got away with that. It's a shame these aren't colored, but they're still some of my best work.

At one point, on a whim, I drew a side project - 30 drawings of a comic about the Nintendo character Birdo. For the last two days, I've created shading for those drawings, and I should be able to put that together as a finished comic and release it soon. There are no backgrounds at the moment so I'll have to see about that. Expect something on that before too long though.

HB has just delivered a quite nice laserdisc transfer of Jim Henson's Monster Maker. It's running at 25fps on a 29.97 laserdisc so the frame rate is a mess; I've asked CN if he'll look into cleaning it up. I'm also considering doing a new restoration/edit of Bonzo Dog Band material which will also have to be unpicked expertly from NTSC to PAL. I've asked CN if he'd work on that too.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby FirestormCAN » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:33 am

http://ask-bronycan.tumblr.com/

It took at least two weeks to put together, but me and the guys at BronyCAN finally managed to launch this little beauty late this afternoon. Already we've seen a massive response! This is gonna eat up a lot of my time in the next couple months leading up to the con. XP
FirestormCAN

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Oh, that's really nice.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Arnaud » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Some changes in my Deviant page, easier to see through :

http://crabamoustache.deviantart.com/

And I'll soon be back to drawing.
Arnaud

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Looking good.

For the first time in ages, I wrote two chapters of my novel Ragland last night. I need to reread it, as I've forgotten so much of it. That's not a huge problem, as the piece has always had a somewhat disconnected and fragmentary quality. Chapters tend to follow just one character, usually from the main four, and these are people who have, in one way or another, lived many different lives. I feel like I'm always starting a new story each chapter, and not really finishing it.

Last night I wrote something called The Singer- sort of a side story which I nearly left out entirely. It follows the curiously sad life of a musician whose career parallels that of Paul McCartney. Beatles parallels are obvious, and my least favorite part of the chapter, as it has the subtlety of a sledgehammer. It's intended to be a long-ago previous life of Thomas, the cat character.

Thomas is one of a kind. Essentially human, but a man-sized black cat, and love interest for the laconic immortal ragdoll antihero Nouria. He is a Baspha, one who lives again and again, here in his very last life. He is also the angel of Death. And, at one point, was essentially Sir Paul McCartney.

It sometimes occurs to me that this is a weird book.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:53 pm

Writing as much as I can for my novel Ragland.

I wrote the last chapter yesterday, but I've got a lot of chapters to go before I've written all the chapters that precede that ending.

I started the novel in 2009, I think, and what I wrote in the early chapters no longer matches what I'm writing now. Certain things I stated as fact back then will have to be rewritten entirely based on where the characters and story have taken me since.

The style of writing has also changed. The early chapters, in establishing a surreal alternate future, often used very whimsical phrasing and made-up words, which sometimes gave the whole thing the feel of a joke which didn't work. The style of writing was a bit wordy and high-minded, even pretentious, and was often written at a distance. Major events were skipped over quickly and I kept the characters at arm's length.

I handed it to a conservative friend to read, and he pointed this out to me. That it was like reading a story through a shop window.

I rewrote the opening immediately, where we meet our heroine, or anti-heroine. I let her talk to an interviewer, which defined her character clearly without any writing style on my part at all.

And since then the style of the book has tended toward being ... well, I think of it as a western, now. I try to use simple language, though some of the made-up words persist. Things are spoken about simply, and often with an implied threat.

The lead characters get shot a lot. People die. There is crying.

So the writing style, I think, has changed a bit over time. And I haven't gone back and seriously reread the earlier chapters. I'm hoping it all hangs together when I'm done.

A little rewriting will go a long way.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:27 pm

I've been writing a story into my novel which I never would have written if not for Trayvon Martin. It centers around a young girl from someplace a bit like India who takes a ship to someplace a lot like New York. It's not long before she learns she's now considered black, and what exactly that means.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby seaglass » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:06 pm

In my art class, I've been working on seascapes in pen and ink. The colors I've been using are black, brown and indigo. These are my best ones so far. Camera quality is terrible, there is nothing I can do I'm sorry. ;-; The last one is my latest one.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=D76249863428285A!389&authkey=!ADwx6tL8YBSyGKI&v=3

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=D76249863428285A!388&authkey=!AHFvDG7jPx-3M-4&v=3

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=D76249863428285A!387&authkey=!ALcrEm8S8fjvmIY&v=3
seaglass

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:51 pm

Here's a seven-page comic about Birdo, from Super Mario Bros.

http://tygerbug.tumblr.com/post/6263438 ... -it-as-the
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby SirQuacky » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:49 pm

Hmm, art-wise I've been doing a rather large crossover poster amongst other things: http://sirquacky.deviantart.com/art/Stu ... -402687237

Though it's in pieces at the moment, colouring should be over in a few days and then I can get to assembling it. And copy and pasting it's cheesey list of characters, x3
SirQuacky

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room