Beach Boys!

A forum for creative people.

Re: Beach Boys!

Postby psychedelicpiper » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:48 am

Oliver Judd's edit now up on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-zve4GqQhg

Lemme know if there's any changes I need to make in the description, though I figure things should be good.
psychedelicpiper

Postby Oliver Judd » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:51 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jeff-beck-readying-very-important-album-20140220#ixzz2u0HEbRaq

Jeff Beck talks about studio sessions for Brian's new album. It isn't terrific news; his statements kinda reflect badly on Brian's managers.

Beck spent last fall on the road with Brian Wilson, where he added a new dimension to Beach Boys classics like “Surf's Up” and "Our Prayer." Before hitting the road, the duo collaborated in the studio for an upcoming Wilson album. “Well, you better ask Brian,” Beck says when asked about the status of the project. “I’m not sure. As far as I know, they made a mistake by grabbing me for a tour and opening up the floodgates for a tour prematurely instead of finishing the tracks. And so we left the studio with half-finished tracks – three, four tracks I was supposed to be on and they’re still unfinished. And to me it was a bit stupid because they should have done the album, had a killer album, and then gone out on the road. But I think they wanted to grab me while I was still available. That’s about it.”
Oliver Judd

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:14 pm

Bit of a mess there. Brian can't be easy to manage well, but I get the feeling he's never been managed well.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Nobies » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:25 pm

The simple fact is that Brian shouldn't be touring at all.
Nobies

Postby mowen4892 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:41 am

I've heard every Beach Boys album up to Holland and what I heard of 15 Big Ones I didn't like. Is there any album worth going forward into their discography?
mowen4892

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:12 am

Holland is a pretty good place to stop.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Oliver Judd » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:53 am

Love You is worth a try. It's an insane album and you either love it or hate it (I love it, though it certainly took me a couple listens).
Oliver Judd

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:41 am

Save yourself.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby mowen4892 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:09 pm

Yeah I'm getting the feeling everything afterwards sucks. Love You is just okay from what I'm hearing, especially since it's The Beach Boys eleven years past their prime. To tell the truth, I find it hard to listen to a lot of stuff after Pet Sounds (and the SMiLE Sessions). Smiley Smile, for the most part, is a cold reminder that SMiLE never happened. Wild Honey is more positive and enjoyable, but I feel like that's where they started losing their signature vocal sound (which they still maintained through SMiLE). WH and Friends are my favorites of the post-PS albums, apart from how eclectic Friends is and there's some tracks I can't stand (Anna Lee The Healer and Transcendental Meditation). 20/20 I can't really get into (besides Our Prayer and Cabinessence being included in stereo), still hard to believe Charles Manson has a writing credit on that album. The only song that really caught my ear on Sunflower was Forever (besides Cool Cool Water being derived from SMiLE). Surf's Up is a bit more enjoyable, although Til I Die and Surf's Up 71 version steal the show. Couldn't get into Carl And The Passions, and the only tracks on Holland I can get into are Sail On Sailor (obviously), The Trader, and Leaving This Town (California Saga makes me cringe). I feel like after Endless Summer, they didn't really give a shit. The conclusion I've come to: their discography is a fucking MESS.
mowen4892

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:36 pm

It reflects the mental state of the members. The fact that they still delivered so many classic tracks later on is worth celebrating, even if so many others need to be forgotten.

I'm okay with Still Cruisin' and Kokomo, btw.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room