A forum for creative people.

Re: Beach Boys!

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:54 pm

Love it!
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby The » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:37 am

Listening to the 3971 Edit "version 2" or even the official Smile Sessions is hard for me, because I'm so familiar with the first version of Smile I heard (Purple Chick). I do like how a longer demo is spliced in at 7:55 and again a little later. I look forward to listening to the whole thing today. edit: It was awesome. I'll probably listen to it again because unlike the Smile Sessions, it's different enough to have its own place in my library.

mowen4892 wrote:Yeah I'm getting the feeling everything afterwards sucks. Love You is just okay from what I'm hearing, especially since it's The Beach Boys eleven years past their prime. To tell the truth, I find it hard to listen to a lot of stuff after Pet Sounds (and the SMiLE Sessions). Smiley Smile, for the most part, is a cold reminder that SMiLE never happened. Wild Honey is more positive and enjoyable, but I feel like that's where they started losing their signature vocal sound (which they still maintained through SMiLE). WH and Friends are my favorites of the post-PS albums, apart from how eclectic Friends is and there's some tracks I can't stand (Anna Lee The Healer and Transcendental Meditation). 20/20 I can't really get into (besides Our Prayer and Cabinessence being included in stereo), still hard to believe Charles Manson has a writing credit on that album. The only song that really caught my ear on Sunflower was Forever (besides Cool Cool Water being derived from SMiLE). Surf's Up is a bit more enjoyable, although Til I Die and Surf's Up 71 version steal the show. Couldn't get into Carl And The Passions, and the only tracks on Holland I can get into are Sail On Sailor (obviously), The Trader, and Leaving This Town (California Saga makes me cringe). I feel like after Endless Summer, they didn't really give a shit. The conclusion I've come to: their discography is a fucking MESS.

Love You has some neat tracks. Some of them sound weird in the cool, weird way Pet Sounds and Smile do.

"Johnny Carson" & "The Night Was So Young" stand out as some of the good & weird ones.

After Smile and Pet Sounds, my next-most-played Beach Boys album is That's Why God Made The Radio (2012). Mostly out of coincidence; I got into Beach Boys right around the time this album came out. There are some garbage tracks on there, but I have these on a playlist:

01. Think About The Days
02. That's Why God Made The Radio
03. Isn't It Time
04. Spring Vacation
07. Daybreak Over The Ocean
08. Beaches In Mind
09. Strange World
10. From There To Back Again
11. Pacific Coast Highway
12. Summer's Gone

Ignoring the bad tracks, even what's written above leans too heavily on beach pop and not enough on contemplative, haunting, complex tracks. If you just want the best tracks, skip to "From There To Back Again" and listen from there to the end of the album, Summer's Gone. Strange World is behind those three as the best on the album. The rest follow.
The

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:18 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

New 3971 Edit?

Postby psychedelicpiper » Wed May 31, 2017 3:03 am

Has anyone here heard this version? https://youtube.com/watch?v=QSpKBn4lbcU

It appears that since the YouTube links I uploaded got striked down for copyright, someone recreated their own 3971 mix from scratch using cues from your version and uploaded it. Somehow, the copyright police have ignored it, despite it being up for over a year. I must say I prefer some of the edits on this version, and I was wondering if anyone had any pointers to where I might find this in lossless. I left a comment asking the uploader, but it doesn't seem like he responds to anyone, though I could keep you guys updated if anything changes.

EDIT: And here's another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpENIPmZ_5Q

And yet another one with a different song order: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCdeF0RzSI

You've inspired quite a movement here, Garrett!

I have a theory the ones I uploaded (original by Garrett/Tygerbug and Oliver Judd re-edit) got noticed and reported by people who were promoting the "Love and Mercy" biopic at the time. Just like most other "SMiLE" uploads at the time. Because now it seems that both the 60's and 2004 versions are up on YouTube without a problem, all dating back from early last year at the latest. Even the 2004 BWPS unedited is available. I'm still a bit bitter about the 3971 removals, though. Maybe I should create a new channel and try again. idk I don't want to risk my current one, as I have other music uploads. Maybe someone from here can upload it instead.
psychedelicpiper

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:34 pm

I've done so, so many restoration and editing projects and at the moment I wouldn't risk uploading any of them to Youtube or pretty much anywhere. It's sad. I lost too many channels, thousands of videos, because of Star Wars Deleted Magic or something.

I remember when I did the 3971 edit a lot of Beach Boys fans considered it a sacrilege. I'm not surprised at all that it's been copied since, or that other people have maybe independently done the same thing. Always the case with my work to be honest! If I had a dollar for every time someone copied or profited off my work and ideas --!

In this case, I think it's obvious to edit the versions of SMiLE back and forth so I'm glad people are doing it, and coming round to that. I don't know if I was an influence or what. My edit was a quick job which took advantage of the stereo and vocal separation work some people had done at the Smiley Smile forums. But we've been over that.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby psychedelicpiper » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:37 pm

I don't blame you. I honestly wouldn't mind reuploading the original on a different channel and crediting you again, if you don't mind. I technically didn't get a copyright strike from those videos I uploaded. They were simply blocked from public viewing, the same fate as everyone else I imagine, around the time of the "Love and Mercy" biopic. Since early 2016, all "SMiLE" posts seem to have been left alone.

The video files I had converted for YouTube are on an old drive that is semi-functional, and which I never got around to transferring files from. I don't feel like creating them from scratch with a video editor again, but if I fetched them again, then I wouldn't mind reposting. So many people left nice comments, and I always made sure to tell them it was your work. You were definitely an influence, as people still mention it in the comments of other videos. For sure, you got the movement going to link both versions, and there are already a couple people I talked to who'd like to see it back.
psychedelicpiper

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:18 pm

Yeah, go ahead. I feel less ownership over quickie works like this. But let's face it, even with copyright claims my work is all over Youtube uncredited. Even when I see GIFs of a lot of films and shows they're from my work. Not a bad thing, as my goal has been to replace worse versions with better ones (although my work is often compromised in quality in these uploads).

I do this stuff as a hobby and don't make money off of it -- which eventually meant I had to stop doing it basically. Doing what I do creatively (on my own projects or otherwise) and also surviving is a tricky thing.

I see my work everywhere, in a Google search for any fandom I've touched, and while it's nice the work is appreciated I know it's generally uncredited and doesn't help me do more of it.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby DaveHolmes » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:48 pm

Was the stereo version of Surf's Up that was exclusive to the LP release of The Smile Sessions ever released digitally?

I attempted my own restoration years ago using BWPS as the base - all I was going to do was swap stereo Beach Boys recordings into BWPS where I could, keeping all the transitions of BWPS. Someone uploaded a lossless recording from the LP but it sounded off compared to all the digital tracks.
DaveHolmes

Postby psychedelicpiper » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:50 pm

DaveHolmes wrote:Was the stereo version of Surf's Up that was exclusive to the LP release of The Smile Sessions ever released digitally?

Dang, you're right. I swear, I thought there was a digital stereo release of it, but I guess not. But yeah, I do have a great rip of the SMiLE Sessions LP in 24-bit.
psychedelicpiper

Postby Oliver Judd » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:35 am

I tried uploading 3971 about a year ago with no luck... it got taken down within the hour. Youtube's odd like that.
Oliver Judd

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room