Beach Boys!

A forum for creative people.

Beach Boys!

Postby Oliver Judd » Sun May 12, 2013 11:15 am

I'm torn between loving and hating Smart Girls. On one hand it's just straight up hilarious ("Sexy legs with high IQ!"), and on the other the tidal wave of poorly-used samples is just unforgivable. Poor Brian... I still haven't listened to the rest of Sweet Insanity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz0SnpN_O00

Has anyone listened to the unreleased Adult/Child album? It's definitely flawed, but on the whole far from awful (much better than MIU, at any rate). This is a standout track for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP1O-iuF21o
Oliver Judd

Re: Beach Boys!

Postby Nobies » Sun May 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Adult/Child (minus Landy's stupid title) is pretty solid minus a few moments where it gets embarrassing. Everybody Wants to Live and Still I Dream of It are two of Brian's best post-SMiLE compositions. Not sure why leaked tracklist doesnt include the band's stab at Youve Lost That Lovin Feeling; its a sublime rendition. Certainly a better record than MIU.
Nobies

Postby Oliver Judd » Sun May 12, 2013 12:57 pm

It's a good 'un. My two other favourites would be It's Over Now and Games Two Can Play. In all honesty I enjoy even the embarrassing moments... I hate to admit it but I do kinda like Hey Little Tomboy. Not too keen on HELP Is On The Way though.
Oliver Judd

Postby Nobies » Sun May 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Most of the "big band" stuff is more interesting than it is good.

Shortening Bread is uh....yeah. out of all the songs that brian couldve obsessed over.....
Nobies

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon May 13, 2013 8:42 am

The impression you get from documentaries in the "America's Band" era is that there were long stretches where Brian barely got out of bed. A legendary songwriter, but also mentally ill and, it seems, easy to push around. Handled. By handlers. No surprise that he signed off on plenty of dumb shit. If you treat him with respect and hire him to recreate a 1967 classic like SMiLE, you get SMiLE. Left to his own devices, or the devices of others, you get some pretty random stuff.

Brian always had an odd sense of humor, and it was one of the strengths of the Beach Boys that even in their late-60s peak they were, at heart, resolutely square, born from Four Freshmen-style harmonizing on Brian's end, and the preppy, college, girls-and-cars "formula" of Mike Love. As the counterculture of the 60s blossomed, so did the band. But in the 80s "America's Band" era, the squareness was really all that remained.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Nobies » Mon May 13, 2013 9:43 am

Considering he was an incredibly nice guy taken advantage of by pretty much every human being that was in his life, from Landy to his bitch wife to even his own bandmates, I'm amazed the guy never once said "Fuck it." and tried to end it all. Brian is quite possibly the greatest example of the endurance of the human soul. "Til I Die"? Indeed.
Nobies

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon May 13, 2013 10:03 am

His father, and Mike, above all ...

Well.

Brian was certainly depressed and trying to avoid life for quite awhile there, I suppose that's the same thing. A bad reaction to drugs, sure, but more so to his lot in life, being pushed around and held back.

There's a worse case I can think of .... another musician and genius, Vivian Stanshall, was barely conscious for about a decade, addicted to tranquilizers and only occasionally producing any work to remind anyone how talented he was. There's film of him in his later years that shows him as sharp as ever, and film that shows him barely there, and is very hard to watch.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Oliver Judd » Mon May 13, 2013 10:09 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d92aeFVPKJY

I listened to Summer In Paradise not all that long ago, the band's only release of original material in the 90s, the primary people behind it being Love and Terry Melcher (as far as I know, Brian had nothing to do with it). Downright awful album... not only is the original material totally forgettable, but Love and Melcher almost seem to have gone out of their way to spit on the band's legacy, with a remixed version of Surfin' (from Surfin' Safari, the band's first album) that adds a horrid hip-hop beat (like Smart Girls but without the funny), plus a cover of Dennis Wilson's Forever that strips away all the emotion and sincerity of the original version that was on Sunflower. All songs are drenched in horrid synth-drum sounds and wailing guitars that represent the very worst the early 90s scene had to offer (as far as I know...). I'll give Kokomo credit, at least it was kinda catchy.

The cover's quite nice though.

I haven't even listened to Keepin' The Summer Alive or Stars & Stripes Vol. 1 yet. I'm scared...
Oliver Judd

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon May 13, 2013 10:56 am

You think that's bad, check out all the John Stamos performances of Forever on Full House. It was basically his theme song.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Oliver Judd » Mon May 13, 2013 11:22 am

Oh dear God... what's more, that gets a million views on YT whereas the Sunflower version doesn't even get a quarter of that amount.
Oliver Judd

Next

Return to The Big Round Room