Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Through Time & Space: The Doctor Who Thread

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:30 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:42 am

A lot of Moffat's "big ideas" make me so angry I've blocked them out entirely (Cyber-Brig?) and it all blurs together in my mind.

But I was reminded today how he gives Clara the classic 60s TARDIS console and walls, borrowed from the 2013 film about William Hartnell, just before bringing back (a parody of) the Hartnell Doctor, and a full on remake of parts of The Tenth Planet that they largely cut out.

As a 60s Who fan it's nice to see this stuff again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2znUOjfwFE

Here's a clip from the (mostly excellent) Hartnell film where Gatiss' mate plays an atrocious Troughton, while Ben and Polly are played by extras in the wrong color clothes. So much of the casting is great but like Hartnell himself they lose interest after the first crew departs.

Matt Smith shows up via greenscreen but they didn't shoot (or zoom) the backgrounds to match, so his closeup puts him in an impossible spot floating in the middle of the TARDIS. Check it out carefully.

https://youtu.be/6Zz2vc5ia98
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Oliver Judd » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:07 am

Didn't like that scene when it first aired and still don't much. It's quite a lovely special, unnecessarily dated by Smith's appearance.
Oliver Judd

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:24 am

Doctor Who: In late 2017, Titan Comics did a miniseries "The Heralds of Destruction," with the Jon Pertwee Doctor, Jo Grant, UNIT, The Master and Patrick Troughton. Written by Paul Cornell with art by Christopher Jones, it is such a nostalgia bomb.

(The Fourth and Seventh Doctors also got stories around this time, and a big crossover thing.)

Josh Burns art.
https://www.deviantart.com/joshburns/ar ... -611091201
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:38 pm

The first year of Doctor Who introduced all of the Doctor's most iconic recurring enemies.

The Daleks, The Sensorites, some cavemen, a pair of scissors, a Mongolian warlord, a Mexican priest, Terry Nation, and the French.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:44 pm

when you have certain concerns about Chris Chibnall as a showrunner

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:05 am

One of the best bad Doctor Who things is the 1981 title sequence to K-9 and Company. It's one minute long and looks like it took about that long to film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu7OiJpnlUs
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby SirQuacky » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:21 am

TLDR: Mini Chibnall Rant with Semi-Positive Closing

I've never been a fan of Chibnall, the best thing in Doctor Who with his name on it is Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, that's not a good sign.
Even with how chuckle-worthy that episode is (I'm betting due to the cast), it's bizarrely unrepresentative of his other few written episodes, which are either annoying and bleak (Hungry Earth/Cold Blood), or terribly paced! (The Power Of Three) or weren't that bad on first viewing, but retrospectively show the signs of the bad to come (42)

I sat through hours of Torchwood, due to how funny Capt. Jack and Co. were on the RTD era Who episodes, and it was a slow-building wave of PURE DISAPPOINTMENT, it got worse and worse until the sickening 5-part miniseries, it's ridiculous to think that piece of "television" is supposed to take place in the same universe as Doctor Who, or even the kid-counterpart The Sarah jane Adventures. Torchwood killed any idea of Chibnall as a showrunner for me, and even now it's still hard to watch Captain Jack in a Who episode after that drivel. Instead of being the "adult" counterpart to Doctor Who I heard it was meant be, Torchwood was just another "We're totes edgy yo, no kidz allowed!" type shows that doesn't even deserve to be pitched.

I heard the success of Broadchurch gave Chibnall the foothold of showrunning Doctor Who, and if that's true that makes me worry a little more! I found the first series of that to be surprisingly dreary with bizarre pacing of it's own. I scratched my head when I read it had more series ordered.

I realize some of the all-time great Doctor Who serials like Carnival Of Monsters or The Masque Of Mandragora are products of their time, but stories like those are going to continue to entertain and bring an uplifting sense of JOY regardless of the year.
Although, when I plug in my Doctor Who hard drive, and sift through my personally ripped DVDs, I find myself putting on commentary tracks or the documentaries more often. Maybe I'm just losing sight of the "magic" of the show itself and finding more fun in the charming squabbles of actors and crew who never knew X until "this very moment", and then come to the depressing realization that a stark majority of the commentary tracks contain the voices of people who are now dead, I don't know. All I do know is that I sincerely hope the next series that comes out will be enjoyable, even with the notorious Chibnall at the helm.
The cast looks okay and I've spent too much time of my life watching all 800 or so episodes of this show again and again (once in complete original airing sequence) that a simple thing like it pissing me off isn't going to stop me from watching the new stuff, unless of course it gets cancelled again.

(On a positive note: Any commentary track with the dynamic duo of Janet Fielding & Peter Davison is an absolute treasure; They're more like therapy sessions than polite production banter!)
SirQuacky

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room