Through Time & Space: The Doctor Who Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: Through Time & Space: The Doctor Who Thread

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c504LKY8V60

BabelColour's tribute to Doctor Who's companions in peril, set to Michael Buble's "Feeling Good." The original version of this was one of my favorites, and this new version is just as good. Somehow distills a lot of what Doctor Who is all about ...
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:46 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:25 pm

There's a lot of "get off my lawn" about this, but also a lot of sentiment worth reading.

http://thequietus.com/articles/13940-dr ... lor-parkes
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon May 26, 2014 9:57 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat May 31, 2014 9:52 am

"The reason that lots of people think Steven Moffat’s version of Doctor Who is sexist is because it repeatedly acts and sounds sexist."

http://www.philipsandifer.com/2014/03/g ... e-for.html
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat May 31, 2014 10:10 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:22 pm

So, the leaked Doctor Who premiere, Deep Breath. I'll do this without spoilers as best I can.

It won me over in the end, although it definitely has all the usual Moffat problems, and it makes the mistake of starting with all sorts of goofy nonsense, making it not unlike Time and the Rani! And with the dark side of The Twin Dilemma ....

This is certainly the worst regeneration episode we've had in NuWho, but he gets there in the end, and there's lots of good stuff in there. The misogyny of Moffat is front and center here - Clara is bullied throughout - treated badly and controlled. Vastra is written as Sherlock Holmes and sees both her and Jenny as little more than sex objects and furniture - literally, at times. Oop, spoiler there. Jenny isn't much more than a servant and Clara is a cardboard cutout, as per usual, and one to be bullied and treated badly for the crime of being a woman - sorry, "girl."

But it gets better as it goes and thematically does a pretty good job of exploring the Doctor's character and his concerns about who exactly he is. Everything we like and hate about Moffat is well on display here, and there are glimpses of the sort of Moffat writing we loved in earlier series. I suspect viewers will switch off in droves though. The episode is very alienating, and dares us to dislike the new Doctor "just because he's old and stuff," without making much of an argument why we should like him. Capaldi is clearly better than the material he's given.

Despite the often crap nature of Russell T. Davies' writing, his Doctor Who was a stroke of genius in that he made the show a safe place for female viewers, which it hadn't been before. He gave us strong, important female characters and, for good or for ill, tended to write the show for more of a female audience. Moffat is farting on the female audience. This isn't a safe place for them anymore.

It's difficult to empathize with Clara since she's written as a paper cutout rather than a fully-formed character, and if you somehow do manage to empathize with her, you'll watch her be bulied, manipulated and abused constantly by characters who are supposed to be her friends.

While I hated the first 30 minutes or so, I wound up liking this episode quite a bit by the end - there were points toward the end that gave me chills and reminded me why I ever liked Moffat in the first place. There's a moment with a hobo, and a moment with a mirror. There's a cameo by a familiar face, and a new recurring villain - who admittedly looks very foolish in the end. But he's going to lose a lot of audience with it, and it all comes down to the misogyny again ....
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room