Through Time & Space: The Doctor Who Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: Through Time & Space: The Doctor Who Thread

Postby SirQuacky » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:12 pm

Here's a silly thought, came to mind after stumbling upon a pretty well done piece of DeviantArt fanart while spending hours laughing heartily from the articles on that uncyclopedia-styled comedy "Doctor Who General" wiki: https://img00.deviantart.net/7b5b/i/2014/246/8/9/logopolis_by_mistressainley-d673a66.jpg

As an minor fan of anime (in the sense I haven't seen enough to call myself a fan but have liked the few series I've stuck with) nearly every idea JNT had would actually work far better as an anime of that time. Considering how dark or raunchy some of those toons could get it's a perfect fit for all of JNT's plots and cohorts: Bidmead's morose techno-dialogue, Cartmel's grandiose-yet-effectively-meaningless symbolism, and Saward's "little cravings". Not to mention the impractical-yet-eyecatching costumes, perfect for the medium!

I seriously can't think of a single thing presented in 1980's Doctor Who that wouldn't be comprehensive in a 80's90's era anime, ESPECIALLY Ol' Sixie's serials, it works rather nicely. I wonder what would have happened if JNT could've afforded a trip to Japan, how jazzed might be by the prospects! xD
SirQuacky

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:01 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby SirQuacky » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:17 pm

That is now my second favourite Vimeo channel, gorgeous work.
SirQuacky

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:41 pm

The Doctor Who Infinity game has a Katy Manning story with Jon Pertwee's Doctor and the Menoptera and Zarbi of The Web Planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wufj53k_Tc
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:56 pm

William Hartnell visiting kids in hospital.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkLdc3WXoAk1Ja-.jpg
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:43 am

Tom Baker's first season as the fourth Doctor Who has been released on Blu-Ray, and now Peter Davison's as the fifth. As Doctor Who was mostly shot on PAL video, it's rare for it to benefit from the HD treatment. However, a lot of the original film sequences from Peter Davison's era still exist, notably the season 19 stories like Castrovalva, Time-Flight, the Visitation and Black Orchid. So these will look nice on Blu.

(The Third Doctor's first story Spearhead From Space was also shot on film and was released on Blu, and theoretically Paul McGann's movie could be reedited as HD, but the budget has never been there to do so.)

https://youtu.be/XQEvPJC8AEI
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby SirQuacky » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:28 am

Missed my chance to get the Fourth set at a decent price, though I compared screens of my Robot DVD and the ones posted to blu-ray.com and there is a delightful uptick in quality, thankfully the natural 2" tape noise is mostly intact Super excited for the Fifth Doctor one!

While I'm not the biggest fan of the TV Movie, and I realize why it's never been a priority to release it, I still find it surprising the real NTSC version has never turned up in official or fan hands over the years. While is was shot on 35mm, it definitely was telecined and edited together on US 29.97i videotape, it even has that slightly purple/pink tint to it most 90's US shows shot on film/edited on video had, and I bet you anything the FX shots we're done in that mixed-framerate composite job prevalent at that time, hence all the rate and gamma issues the Restoration Team had to face in putting out a PAL formatted version.
The only official release of the TV Movie in NTSC format I've seen listed anywhere is an ultra-rare Hong Kong Laserdisc.
SirQuacky

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:03 am

That's definitely a shame about the NTSC version, though of course I'd prefer a 35mm HD transfer, budget be damned. I've never checked the frame rates on The TV Movie, but I was just looking at a (not Who related) music video compilation which is a mess of MPEG2 noise and standards conversion from PAL-NTSC. Oh well.

I'm concerned about upscaling the material to HD, and certainly about using the NTSC framerate for the US release, but season 19's film segments will certainly benefit.

Hearing "rumors" about Jodie Whittaker's Doctor which remind me of this:

There was a leak when Matt Smith had been cast, because no one had really seen him in action. It was a really muffled/low quality audio recording, of him saying "I am the Doctor, and you are the Daaaaaaaaaaleks." With that timing, for some reason. (Presumably something had happened onset which we don't see.) It was used to sell the idea that Matt's Doctor was a disaster, that he couldn't act and everyone was quitting. Instead he became the first Doctor to crack the American market on day one ...
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:38 pm

April Walker, originally cast as Sarah Jane Smith in Doctor Who, but didn't click with Jon Pertwee somehow.

http://www.endofthelane.co.uk/april.html
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room