Muppet Thread: The Henson Legacy

A forum for creative people.

Re: Muppet Thread: The Henson Legacy

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:32 am

Two new DVD releases available via torrent.

Restored versions of four Jim Henson Hour episodes.

http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/9078619
http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/9078614

--

The Jim Henson Hour Episode 108
"Videotape" with Buster Pointdexter
The Storyteller: The True Bride

The Jim Henson Hour Episode 109
"Garbage" with KD Lang
The Storyteller: Sapsorrow

Beautifully restored by the acclaimed editor of The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut, this is the best copy of these Jim Henson Hour episodes you're likely to see unless they receive some sort of official DVD release. Multiple rare VHS sources were painstakingly cleaned and combined, with DVD and laserdisc sources used where possible.

Arguably, The Jim Henson Hour showed the Muppet team at their creative peak, with remarkable live-action fantasy like The Storyteller sharing space with Kermit and the Muppet gang. It was an ideal showcase for what they were capable of.

However, when NBC showed the series in 1989 it failed in the ratings and was quickly cancelled, with some episodes going unaired. Although certain Jim Henson projects from this era have made it to DVD, VHS, and VOD [The Storyteller, Song of the Cloud Forest, Miss Piggy's Hollywood], no complete and uncut Jim Henson Hour episode has ever been released on DVD or any other format, with two known exceptions - two very rare KSS laserdiscs of Dog City and Monster Maker, dubbed in Japanese.

The first half of most episodes featured MuppetTelevision, with Kermit, Gonzo, Fozzie, Miss Piggy and new characters in the high-tech Inner Tube TV control room, with celebrity guests. The second half of most episodes were fantasy specials. Often the series had an environmental message.

----

The Jim Henson Hour Episode 108
"Videotape" with Buster Pointdexter

At MuppetTelevision, the band and Gonzo are prerecorded on videotape. Solid Foam perform "The Music Keeps Rollin' Along." Buster Pointdexter performs "All Night Party." Bootsie and Brad have a tea party with Talking Teddy and Sergeant Killer Death Machine. And there's a ghost story with Fozzie Bear.

In the acclaimed fantasy series The Storyteller, John Hurt tells the tale of The True Bride.

--

The Jim Henson Hour Episode 109
"Garbage" with KD Lang

MuppetTelevision is covered in talking garbage, who refuse to leave the station. KD Lang performs "(Waltz Me) Once Again Around That Dance Floor" and the Sesame Street favorite "I Love Trash." Bootsie and Brad fail to explain how boys and girls are different. Kermit tells the story of how the Nightingale got its voice. The Garbage sings "On the Road Again."

In the acclaimed fantasy series The Storyteller, John Hurt tells the tale of Sapsorrow (Alison Doody).

--

Special Features:

"The Music Keeps Rolling Along" Music Video (Secrets of the Muppets version)

Muppet Babies "I'm Gonna Always Love You" Music Video (The Merv Griffin Show with Jim Henson and Frank Oz)

Episode Trailers: Dog City, KD Lang, Buster Pointdexter, Ted Danson

Restoration Comparison: No high-quality source was available for the pre-titles scene. See how the restorationist made it watchable.

Lion Outtake

"World of Jim Henson" documentary clip (Featuring scenes from The Jim Henson Hour)

KD Lang episode alternate mono audio track

Also available: Dog City, Monster Maker, Smokey Robinson, Inner Tube (Pilot)

In order to burn this to DVD, delete the DVD-ROM folder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Jim Henson Hour Episode 107
"Health and Fitness" with Smokey Robinson
Special: Song of the Cloud Forest

Inner Tube TV (Jim Henson Hour Pilot)
The Jim Henson Hour Pitchreel (Jim Henson Hour Second Pilot)

The Cosby Show "Cliff's Nightmare" January 11, 1990 (Excerpt)

--

The Jim Henson Hour Episode 107
"Health and Fitness" with Smokey Robinson

At Muppettelevision, Kermit tries to get the band in shape. But Digit gets a cold, the chickens catch sneezing fits, and Link Hogthrob worries that he has Canadian snout fever. Smokey Robinson and Solid Foam perform "Just to See Her" and "Jump (For My Love." Rowlf the Dog (as Merlin the Magician), Bunsen and Beaker (of Muppet Labs), and The Swedish Chef (with Jacques Roach) appear.

Special: Song of the Cloud Forest

In the rainforest, Milton the Golden Toad worries that he may be the last of his species alive, and he'll never find a mate to love. A beautiful piece with an environmental message.

--

Inner Tube is a 10 minute pilot for The Jim Henson Hour, written in 1987 by David Misch. Directed by Jim Henson, the show includes original music and lyrics by Phil Ramone, Bob Halligan and Phil Galdston.

The show is similar in format to the MuppeTelevision segments of The Jim Henson Hour. Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy make brief appearances in the show, but the focus is on the new characters. According to writer David Misch, the pilot was not meant to resemble The Muppet Show; Kermit was merely given a role when it became hard for Henson to sell the series.

--

The Jim Henson Hour Pitch Reel is a 12½ minute video hosted by Jim Henson from The NY Muppet Workshop. Surrounded by all sorts of Muppet and Creature Shop creatures from previous productions, Henson explains the early concept of The Jim Henson Hour. This pitch tape was written by Jerry Juhl and Bill Prady.

The pitch tape was shot on September 25, 1988.

--

The Cosby Show "Cliff's Nightmare" January 11, 1990 (Excerpt)

Bill Cosby has a nightmare featuring characters from The Jim Henson Hour.

--

Special Features:

Behind the Scenes of "Song of the Cloud Forest" (5 min)

Episode Trailers: Dog City, KD Lang, Buster Pointdexter, Ted Danson

Smokey Robinson episode alternate mono audio track

Alternate Edits: Kermit introduces Smokey Robinson, Miss Piggy works out, Crasher breaks through

---

Also available: Dog City, Monster Maker, KD Lang, Buster Pointdexter
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby swiley » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:20 am

Garrett, I just wanted to say how grateful I am for your (and others') preservation efforts. I've been a follower of the Thief and the Cobbler project for some time now, and last night after watching The Great Muppet Caper, I searched for information on how they executed the bicycle scene. I was directed to the Secrets of the Muppets episode of the Jim Henson Hour, which apparently is awaiting an upload by another user to be available for DVD-quality restoration... unless I've missed something. In the meantime, I'm eager to check out the episodes that have been put together, such as Dog City. Keep up the great work!
swiley

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:51 am

Hey Swiley, good to have you here.

Yep, seven out of thirteen Jim Henson Hour episodes are now available as restorations, and I'm working on the rest.

There's a good unrestored copy of Secrets of the Muppets incidentally, and of some of the others. Fellow restorationist Helge Bernhardt did the transfers on most of these and they're great.

Toss me your email address and I'll add you to the list.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:19 am

The restored Jim Henson Hour Buster Pointdexter / KD Lang DVD is now available at Google Drive.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

And here is the Jim Henson Hour: Smokey Robinson / Inner Tube restored DVD, on Google Drive.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Oh, and here's Darrell's copy of Of Muppets And Men.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gdmrdge0wlfsm23/q4SbgfhAqV

Also, I was reminded yesterday that we never got a clean capture of the Netflix version of Monster Maker. It was captured off the computer screen and suffered from frame rate problems and frame tearing.

I believe a physical, set-top box like a Roku is needed to capture the screen properly. Or possibly a Playstation 3 or suchlike. If it could be captured cleanly to physical media, like a MiniDV tape, we'd have a much better result.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:31 pm

Added a few images to this one:
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/The_Great_ ... aus_Switch

I've been sent a copy of "The Great Santa Claus Switch" where the quality is very good for VHS, but the picture is very shaky and full of spots and lines. If this were maybe a ten-minute program I'd spend a couple of days painting that all out manually, but for an hourlong production that's not really practical. (I certainly did that with Inner Tube, especially the shot of Miss Piggy which took about a day by itself).

VirtualDub's Deshaker will probably do the trick on the shakiness, although I've had some quality issues with that before and VirtualDub is rather disk space intensive since it exports uncompressed.

I've also been sent the Muppets Celebrate 30 Years as a German PAL master which I've cleaned up. A few scenes need to be edited in from an NTSC version as well.

Living With Dinosaurs has also been sent in as quite a nice PAL VHS, unfortunately with Dutch subtitles all over the picture.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Said Jason Segel: "We also did have a great trick where at the end I wrote that Kermit is like, 'And I’m so happy that you guys liked our telethon. As a matter of fact, we’re going to relaunch The Muppet Show starting this fall on ABC.'" According to the Blu-ray commentary, the note they got back from Disney said "Nice try."
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:15 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room