Joss Hoskie Makes Stuff

A forum for creative people.

Re: Joss Hoskie Makes Stuff

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:27 pm

You love the late Howard Ashman's work as lyricist with Alan Menken for The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Little Shop of Horrors.

Joss Hoskinson has been paying tribute to Ashman with the Disney Ashman Demos Network of YouTube channels that includes DisneyAshmanDemos, The Little Shop Archive, and The Demo Archive. He's shared tons of rare material including unseen scenes from the Little Shop of Horrors film.

This year, Joss will be going on a research trip to Washington DC to go through Howard Ashman's papers at the Library of Congress, and discover all sorts of untold secrets and new information.

But he needs your help. If you care about The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Little Shop of Horrors, share this link.

https://www.gofundme.com/lsoh-loc-research
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby JustinHoskie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:35 pm

Garrett Gilchrist wrote:You love the late Howard Ashman's work as lyricist with Alan Menken for The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Little Shop of Horrors.

Joss Hoskinson has been paying tribute to Ashman with the Disney Ashman Demos Network of YouTube channels that includes DisneyAshmanDemos, The Little Shop Archive, and The Demo Archive. He's shared tons of rare material including unseen scenes from the Little Shop of Horrors film.

This year, Joss will be going on a research trip to Washington DC to go through Howard Ashman's papers at the Library of Congress, and discover all sorts of untold secrets and new information.

But he needs your help. If you care about The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Little Shop of Horrors, share this link.

https://www.gofundme.com/lsoh-loc-research

Thanks for the share and the kind words! You ended up posting it right before I came to do it myself. :P

A small update. I'm also looking into how much it would cost to get all the documents I want to look at as digital PDFs, since (in light of a few recent personal things), I might not be able to afford a trip in person. I've since contacted the LOC to see roughly how much it would cost so I can decide what to do next.

Here's a breakdown of all of the materials I'm looking into.
  • Scripts, 17 drafts, dated between 1982-1985
  • Script fragments
  • Notes, outlines, and research materials
  • Drawings, sketches
  • Correspondences, 1982-1989
  • "Miscellany"
  • Aladdin; original treatment; dated 19 Jan. 1988
  • Mary Poppins Comes Back; unproduced screenplay by P.L. Travers and Brian Sibley; dated Oct. 1989
  • The Hooneymooners; unproduced musical; book by David Spencer, music and lyrics by Alan Menken; dated 2 Jan. 1988
Garrett Gilchrist wrote:vid.me's a bit low quality, isn't it?

I used to use dailymotion as my go-to for stuff youtube wouldn't touch - when it was low quality as well. Dailymotion then became just as copyrighty.

It's not the worst. The SD end leaves a bit to be desired but HD videos aren't terrible and, as an alternative to YouTube, it gets the job done.
JustinHoskie

Postby JustinHoskie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:41 pm

The Honeymooners | 1987 Demos | Alan Menken
Here is a demo tape to an unproduced musical adaptation of "The Honeymooners." The book to the musical was written by David Spencer, while the score was written solely by Alan Menken. The two would later go on to collaborate on the scores to "Weird Romance" and "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz." (Spencer would later go on to rewrite the book to the latter.)

Though work was started on it with the rights seemingly secured, the adaptation was abandoned once the rights to the property fell through.

A 1987 demo tape of the show, presumably this one, as well as a January 2, 1988 draft of the libretto can be found in The Howard Ashman Archives at the Library of Congress. Both were likely given to Howard by Alan as either a gift or to review.
JustinHoskie

Quick Thoughts: Rocky Horror Picture Show - Unused Script

Postby JustinHoskie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:51 pm

Here's the script to an abandoned Quick Thoughts on the original "Rocky Horrors Picture Show" that I wrote about a month ago. I sum up my thoughts on it pretty well, but it's too surface level. I've since decided to expand it out to a full-length video on "RHPS: Let's Do the Time Warp Again," because my god do I want to rip into that thing.

TITLE JOKE: frank makes me shiver with disappointment

I went into Rocky Horror knowing what a cultural touchstone it was for weirdos like me, and I expecting to be blown away and have a life changing experience. Instead, I had the most underwhelming experience of my entire life.

Rocky Horror is not a bad movie, not at all. It knows what it is, a perverted love-letter to classic and cheesy horror, with a great cast and, in my opinion, one of the most solid musical scores to ever exist. It has a plethora of strengths as a film, all of which it does amazingly well, and the more I watch it, the more I understand how it struck a chord the way it did. It's fun, it's campy, and it makes sense to me how it's still in theaters and how it became a midnight staple. And, at the time, it was an important piece.

To quote my friend Garrett, it turned the subtext in The Bride of Frankenstein into text. It gave a voice and a safe space to an entire group of people who had previously been voiceless and isolated, and it threw a brick through the society's blacked-out window and shown a light on LGBT subtext in media. It was a film that needed to be made, and it was a film that was important to have.

However, though it's important to keep in mind the context a film was made in, to me, a film must hold up in the context of today. And does Rocky Horror do that? Well...

The short answer is no, and all the glaring problems I see with the story and characters are the things I've seen fans tout as strengths. To them, it's the story of a sexual awakening between a straitlaced couple who learn to release their inhibitions. I see a story of a straitlaced couple who are raped, traumatized, brain-washed and develop Stockholm syndrome. Many people romanticize Frank-N-Furter and see him as a beacon of sexual expression and liberation. To me, he's a villain, plain and simple. He kills Eddie for no good reason and feeds him to his guests, he rapes Brad and Janet, mistreats and abuses everyone around him, and, honestly, he may do more harm than good for the LGBT community. And let's be honest, "I'm Going Home" is basically the musical theater equivalent of "Cool motive, still murder."

To me, Rocky Horror isn't bad. It's a fun movie with an amazing score that I find myself enjoying more and more. But, it's a film with glaring problems that most people just ignore or, more often, celebrate. And I'm sorry, but if I have to travel back in time to experience it with the cultural context needed to make me adore it, it's just not the movie for me.

Also, again, FRANK-N-FURTER RAPES THE LEAD CHARACTERS WHY DOES NO ONE TALK ABOUT THAT WHAT THE EVEN HECK YOU GUYS
JustinHoskie

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Yes, as I've probably said, at the time it was subversive to show LGBT subtext as text. We still get a lot of LGBT-coded villains in our media and this was a very purposeful effort to turn that subtext and code into clear text, that Frank is clearly LGBT and also the star of the show. But he's still coded as the villain of the piece, as genre expectations would have dictated.

Today, it's not really positive to have an out LGBT character who does villainous things. That shows that times have changed. You could say the same about the gay jokes in Monty Python (same producer as Holy Grail!) ... At the time it shone a light and was subversive. Now that light is there. LGBT people are out, and need more positive representation.

This is also part of why Shock Treatment didn't catch on to the same crowd. It doesn't really demolish gender roles and allow anyone to play with that, which is most of Rocky Horror's appeal.

Rocky is a product of its time, and remaking it in a High School Musical sort of way for FOX wasn't the answer.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Big Round Room